Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC on the 50th minute of the US Open Cup semifinal. Didn’t see that coming.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyndman should have given up the ball to Carleton for a fairly easy finish. Emerson got stars in his eyes instead.

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    kind of funny that carleton and pity seem to have good chemistry

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    They are similar style wise.

Gacm32 repped this.
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    ac legit happiest looking guy on the pitch when celebrating emos goal

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bit of a mixed bag. Has tons of skill, but has plenty of room for improvement. Good with his back to goal, as he's clever on the turn.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused about this. Why were Carleton and Emo on the field at the same time? I don't like Carleton on the wing, and I feel like he'd be pretty great at the now established Emo role in Atlanta's team.

8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Thought he did okay. He looked impactful when he first got in for his first 10min or so, and then made too many mistakes the rest of the game.

A bunch of the mistakes were passed that could have been better which is surprising from him.

I will say his work rate looked the best I’ve ever seen. One of the commentators also mentioned he and maybe Justin Meram were the first to start warming up on the pitch. Maybe Carleton’s attitude has changed for good.

Tom Collingsworth and TarHeels17 repped this.
  9. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case anyone was wondering why Carleton played:
    1158923899326926850 is not a valid tweet id

Also, I don't think Carleton played on the wing per say, yesterday's attack was about a lot of fluidity since we didn't have any strikers, so Carleton played pretty far up the pitch, but didn't stay wide I'd say.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've been very clear about my dislike of this thread, not of Carleton per se. Too much time has been wasted on gossip, innuendo, moaning, groaning, ad nauseum. That said, here we have an actual example of Carleton getting on the pitch so we can analyze his performance. I was pleasantly surprised by his work rate since that's been a knock on him. One of the problems I've seen with him is inconsistency in his passing, and that came up in this game. He's capable of a line breaking pass, and then just as easily can give the ball away. In order to earn the trust of his coaches and teammates he has to be more dependable.

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Now let's see him get a run of MLS games.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea I can’t figure out why his passing is inconsistent. Idk know if he’ll get better with that if he plays more often or if he has Omar Gonzalez semi-brain dud moments.

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It's not even that he's been inconsistent this season. He has been pretty consistently poor (by his own standards). What we saw last night with his passing (off) and touch/dribbling (erratic) have been the norm this season.

This is clearly not Carleton at his best, so I am hopeful that he will be able to work through this and get back to good form with some consistent appearances in MLS. I don't think he was ever going to recapture his form in USL due to the low level of talent and the sloppiness of those games.

His energy level was positive last night. That is the takeaway for me. That is a step in the right direction. Hopefully the hurdles that he has been setting up for himself to stumble on are all out of the way now and he can stay in the environment that he needs right now and get his sharpness and confidence back. These last 12 months or so couldn't have gone much worse, and I'm still worried about him, but at least he seems to be going in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  14. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Is Carleton hurt? He's not on either team right now.

15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Carleton would look like in this game. I always enjoy the games between MLS and Liga MX sides because they reach a level of intensity that MLS games never do. It has that feel of European games. I think it'd be really interesting to see how Carleton would fare.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd look lost. If he's struggling to make an impact in the 2nd division I doubt he's going to bring much to the table in game like tonight's.

17. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Geez watching USL (ATL2 vs Swope Park), it's such a low level of football. It's not doing anything to develop him, Bello or Lindsey. I hope, in the case of Bello and Lindsey, that they're just trying to gain match fitness before they're back with the first teams.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    counterpoint would be that if guys Iike carleton dont play and play influentially in the lower divisions the lower divisions will never will improve

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they in the Championship or League One?

20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Championship

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

AC played and scored for ATL United 2 last night

comoesa, yabo, Pl@ymaker and 1 other person repped this.
  22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He seems to be having a pretty good year there.

I know a lot of people have given up on him. But he still has the skillset. I think we'll all have to see on the athleticism, but it does seem like he has made the choice to work harder at soccer.

I hope he gets a chance with Atlanta soon. It would be awesome to see him on a playoff roster.

Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    It's been more like a good month. The first half of the season was really poor from AC.

My opinion is that it's more of a mentality than athleticism thing though. Either way, let's hope he's moving in the right direction and can make up for this wasted last 12 months.

gogorath repped this.
  24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Forgot about this kid

frankburgers repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010