Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Wright getting chances was due only to a plethora of injuries at Schalke this season.

If Andrew took being a professional seriously like say Tyler Adams, he’d be seeing much more time.

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1752 bshredder, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Lumping all of MLS in together is silly. What happens at one team is completely different than what would happen at another team.

Andrew Carleton is not being overlooked by the fictitious MLS boogeyman. He is being passed over (and sometimes called out) by

1) a coach who previously managed Barcelona
    2) a coach who previously managed Ajax
    3) the most successful U.S. youth national team coach of all time

But anyway, let's use his stalled career, which is mostly self-inflicted, to indict a league whose teams are showing a ton of improvement in developing and getting young players on the field.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, In my last sentence I say if you are in a scenario to get real playing time MLS in should be an option. As you know, FC Dallas was going to fast track Mckennie for example.

Anyway, Like I said young players make mistakes on and off the field to throw them under the bus is foolish. Wright is getting more chances in a foreign country and is considered a lesser talent than Carleton. That is just my opinion.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta has had injuries as well. In fact they got Remedi mid season last year and Meram this season instead of giving Carleton a real look. Just saying.

5. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    According to his Instagram, he’s partying again. While other, more responsible players are in bed preparing for the weekend, he’s out with goslin (who never will amount to anything as a pro)

Again another data point proving he loves the benefits of making a few bucks and not willing to work as hard as others.

Very unfortunate.

Gacm32, Eke2 and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  6. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    This is dumb tbf

7. Ahem, you've got a Dutch coach. It means comments arenot going to lead the player or whoever second guessing "what could he mean?".

russ, bsky22 and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After getting criticized in the press and told to grow up it's kind of hard to believe he'd go out and post it for his coach to see. Did he drink the same water that Clint Mathis used to drink?

frankburgers and Gacm32 repped this.
  9. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This is going nowhere. We don't see the work ethic we see from other top youth players. This kid thinks he's already made it, and he hasn't done shit yet.

WheezingUSASupport and frankburgers repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anything on his instagram about partying.

a_new_fan repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Then use your imagination ...

12. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he went to a concert last night at a venue called the Tabernacle in atlanta, I dunno if that's worth freaking out about.

13. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Your employer questions your professionalism, and within a week, you go out on work-night and post it on social media. I'm sorry, but if one of my employees did that, I would think they don't really take my assessment seriously.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    By who?

Wright has put up numbers, we can debate the relative quality of the German 5th division and the American 3rd but it’s hard to get chances as an attacker without producing in the games you play.

Soccerfan12435 repped this.
  15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    real look? he's been there since the start...he gets a look every single day at training.

funny how in one thread its about how we need to raise expectations for american players and they need to be pushed to make the us better on the international stage. then when people talk about carleton its 'I know he isn't committed and he doesn't listen...but can we just give him a free pass I mean he'll probably outplay all of the guys working hard and like professionals because he is just so talented he'll make up for it'

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This lecture would be me more helpful in any YA thread where some clown tries to compare leagues.

yes, MLS is silly! fcd and nyrb may be on to something.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do worry about Carleton's athletic ability. I dont think he's grown any since his u17's stint. The Aaronson kid in Philly is a couple inches taller and still looks to fill out. I think it's making a difference for him.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's the same height as Paxton Pomykal.
    I imagine that in a footrace between the two, Carleton would actually win.
    His athleticism isn't fine if folks expect him to be Landon Donovan or DeMarcus Beasley.

Sometimes it just comes down to opportunity and having a coaching staff that believes in you. And there is something to the work ethic and professional drive. Its not just hearsay. All of that talk comes from ATL and its staff. Folks on these boards didn't make it up out of thin air. We have had talented youngsters in the past that didn't pan out due to off-the-field stuff. Heck, Santino Quaranta has talked about how his time in between games for DCU was spent partying and with drug dealers. He tested positive for cocaine in 2006, but the league chose not to make that public at the time. I'm not implying that's what is going on here with Carleton. What I'm implying is that off-the-field stuff can derail reputations and careers.

So we'll see where this goes. I expect that it will lead somewhere other than Atlanta United real soon. If I was another MLS club, I'd roll the dice on Andrew Carleton. Heck, I'd be happy if he came to FC Dallas.

randomnoise and don Lamb repped this.
  19. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so fcd and nyrb let their players do anything? no rules and no consequences for their actions?

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the 18.

frankburgers repped this.
  21. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Pax isn't ideal for LW but Dallas has a void and if Carlton coming in to play the 10 or at least the most advanced 8 can help their anemic offense I'm all for it. Dallas has a ton of cap space maybe Atlanta would like some more TAM to buy down one of their DPs?

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    From a USMNT perspective, I do think that the Donovan/Beasley athletic level is an appropriate level. Both of their successes were largely (but not entirely) due to their elite athleticism.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pereira looks good.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Odd response.