Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    the difference is bvb paid a lot for him and could cut their losses and were willing to because of their high price xi in front of him.

if carleton earned minutes he'd be getting them you are implying that that he isn't playing and it has nothing to do with his issues...his issues are hurting him on the pitch and he is only where he is at this point because of a lack of options. they have better options above him and his off the field issues hurt him.the whole 'he wouldn't play anyway' is a bs angle used to justify his issues like they don't matter.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  2. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Of course. That's why they do extensive evaluations on potential players and have programs for existing programs. However, taking those things into account on these boards is next to impossible since we have a limited perspective.

4. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Yeah, but it’s not really in this case.

Quite simply, it’s process of elimination in Carleton’s case and we have to take those things into account. Without any rumors of his lack of professionalism, we would all be saying the past two staffs at AU just didn’t think he’s good enough.

Given the fact that most, if not all of us, think he’s good enough to play - there has to be another reason he’s not, right?

I’ll concede the fact that none of us have a ton of evidence that he isn’t a good professional. His suspension for MLS Cup was pretty telling however.

Don’t we pretty much have to agree that his situation falls into one of two categories? He’s either not good enough (as determined by the staff) or he’s such a giant bell end, that the staff is willing to overlook his talent. What other options are there?

Personally, I think it’s the first because we can all name many examples of “unprofessional” players that make the XI every weekend because the manager needs their talent in the team.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    GUYS I try not to overreact to stuff like this but based on his Twitter he is literally this second watching some other sport (basket-hoops I believe), a sedentary activity that does not promote soccer fitness. Should he not be doing rondos or working on soccer ball kicking technique? Also who is this "bruh" he is talking to?

Lookingforleftbacks and don Lamb repped this.
  6. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Crazy talk. The kid is still only 18 years old!!! Yet, you have already declared that his career can only follow either the path of Johnny Manziel's or Freddy Adu's....

He has way too much ability to give up on, and it's way too early in his career to put these labels on him.

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    "Sedentary activity"! Sounds great. May I borrow it and use to explain my life style to curious (if I find any)?

8. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    How so exactly? Also, you keep putting words in my mouth, which isn’t fair.

No one has ever said his career will take a Johnny Manziel or Freddy Adu path - where do you come up with this stuff?

What was said was, at this moment, he either a) isn’t good enough or b) good enough but off field issues keep him from playing. I really don’t see how you can debate that.

His career path will with follow that of a teenage sensation (Felipe Lopez comes to
    mind) whose talent doesn’t translate to the pro game or that of a teenage sensation whose talent didn’t immediately translate to the pro game - which inspires him to work harder than ever in order to get back on track. It’s mostly down to him, but not completely.

I’ll add, no one has said he needs to be given up on. Honestly, a change of scenery make help him to kick on, but it’s no guarantee.

One thing is for sure, he is no longer that can’t miss prospect.

I’m enjoying the debate, but please, let’s not start attributing quotes to people that simply weren’t ever said.

9. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    You seem to think that the odds are slim that Carleton will tighten up and become anything close to his potential even though he is still just 18. Others have predicted that he will end up in rehab (ala Manziel), and you have stated that he has a mentality or lack of discipline that dooms his career (ala Adu). I guess I am just a little bit more optimistic, as I still believe that he can dedicate himself to being a great pro and have a great start to his career in Atlanta.

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    you are the issue at this point

we can't have a conversation without you going over the top because you can't handle the conversation and facts that are out there I mean the trump playbook is great and everything but at some point we get it thats where you are you dont have to keep saying it.

comparing him to manziel and adu is crazy at this point. Adu was better then carleton with the u17 team, played for the u20 team, played in mls and had more success at a younger age. Manziel won the heisman got drafted and played in the nfl briefly. Carleton hasn't had any of their success.

Carleton isn't a bust he is a never was at this point. Nobody is too talented to screw up their chance. There is a long list of talented players in all kind of sports that never make it because they lack focus and their decision making off the field.

frankburgers repped this.
  11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    he can't have a great start at atlanta that point has already come and gone he was supposed to help them last year at some point. We are now into year two of the carleton watch which is over. Until he can do well in the usl I don't expect to see him around much. Barco isn't around and he still isn't getting minutes that should tell you a lot.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    The only thing worth of discussing in this thread is whether Carleton can get out from Atlanta and when. The rest is irrelevant until that happens.

majspike and Pegasus repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    All of your posts mention how highly talented Carleton is. Are you saying that he was simply much better than his American peers at the U17s three years ago?

Or are you saying he was an LD/Adu level talent (a Golden Ball contender and one of the best junior USMNT talents of all-time)?

To pre-empt any straw man, this is not to say that Carleton has no talent.

14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    On the team of Sargent, Weah, Akinola, Durkin, Goslin, etc., either Sargent or Carleton was easily the most talented player on the team.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I don't think that anyone is saying that Sargent is a talent similar to Landon Donovan or Adu as a teen. Obviously talented but not one where people are readily predicting Big 4 UCL.

Do you agree that is where you view Carleton: better than his age cohort but not a world-beater?

16. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I believe that both Carleton and Sargent, in their prime, can be Champions League level players. Their development over the next five years obviously has a lot to do with what their trajectory actually looks like.

17. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    This is not a comprehensive list, but do the following names mean anything to you?
    • William
    • Philip Osundu
    • James Will
    • Nii Lamptey
    • Daniel Addo
    • Mohammed Amar Al-Khatiri
    • Florent Sinama Pongolle
    • Sani Emmauel
    • Julio Gomez

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Where would you compare their ceiling to other historical USMNT youth at the same age?

- Donovan
    - Adu
    - Weah
    - Pulisic
    - McKennie
    - Adams
    - Beasley

Why don’t we try this paradigm?
    1. High ceiling (Big 4 UCL potential):
    2. Good ceiling (Top 125 team* potential, lower half of Big 4)
    3. Modest ceiling (top 250 team* potential ~ top quartile player in MLS/ B2/ Championship):

19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    no

20. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I think they have a similar, if not higher, ceiling to those players.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You're a bad bad man, Tim.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Yeah, I thought better of that one ...

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Wait, you think that Sargent has the same ceiling as what everyone thought LD had after he won the Golden Boot? Same with Carleton? Wow

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Pfft. Where's the fun?

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the YNT showcase window having passed him by, I'm curious how he generates interest from other clubs. As of now there isn't an inkling of reported interest in him unlike a number of other youth in MLS.

Some say he should leave. I ask, who wants him?