Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he's a victim of Remedi coming into the team, which pushed Gressel to a wing position.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is why that agent change matters. Needs to get out at year end.

3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    LOL. Just. LOL.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Or sooner....

He better get sub minutes this game and if he shows well he better get more sub minutes when Barco is “supposedly” back.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't get it. Everything he's done when given spot minutes in MLS has been positive. Gets his first start and is heavily involved in the two goals and is benched? What more can he really do? Hope for more love scandals?

6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The disdain I have for Tata is at unhealthy levels. It’s in Kobe Bryant territory now.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't understate him doing it in the middle of the transfer window.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It could be that he found out he wasn't going to start this game, and he immediately signed with a new agency that will get him a contract with a good European team right away.

TarHeels17 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only hope

10. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    This green card rule is messing everything up for guys like Carleton.

Martínez gets a green card and Tata is all over bringing over another foreign player that throws a wrench into Carleton playing time.

I get it with guys earning minutes but man if Carleton was on any other team besides Atlanta and NYCFC he’d be getting far more time.

Even if he gets minutes off the bench, unless he does something spectacular he’s going to fade again once Barco is back.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That might be true for a lot of American players, but I think we should stop trying to think any of these individual players are in Carleton's way. The coach is in his way. He's better than most (I'd argue nearly all or all) of Atlanta's starting lineup. How many times does he need to "earn" minutes? We hear this every time he plays. He needs to "earn" minutes. And then he does, but he doesn't get the minutes he earned.

The coach has a plan of which players he wants to get minutes. Carleton is not part of that group.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Couldn’t agree more.

Alexisonfire and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp I thought he would get around 5 or 6 more starts this season but if he only gets a couple of more starts (being optimistic) and a couple of more appearances off the bench in garbage time this will have been a sesaon wasted for him.

Some will bring up his age but the guys in the upper echelon of u20 players (Carleton's cohort) are getting serious minutes right now.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't even play.

ShaftBrewer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Terrible.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Not even looking at this from my completely biased lense, it seems unhealthy to play guys like Martinez and Almiron a full 90, every single game. Those guys need spells of rest.

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone ask Tata about Carleton so we can hear the second iteration of this quote. Let's hope that Andrew's not around long enough to hear the third.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tata never seems to like making subs. He must have been delighted with the long weather delay at HT - it gave his XI more time to rest and he ultimately only used two subs.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't happen that quickly.

More likely he already had signed with Wasserman and kept it under wraps given he started last week. Then when he knew he wasn't starting he was advised to make it public.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be the root of the problem from the Atlanta fan’s perspective. But even after he ran Almiron into the ground late last year and he got hurt, they still kept saying “Tata knows” and “Carleton’s got to prove it.” As if there’s some way to prove your worth from the bench

Anderson11 and kba4life1 repped this.
  21. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So what is the point in investing in a top notch academy and actually having competitive teams on it if your stand out players have no chance at the first team? It is just a waste of money having an Academy in ATL. All they do is go buy players to replace whoever they sold or on whichever position they need to improve on.

I hope Carleton has his contract ending soon and can head over to Europe to try out for a team. Or in the minimum request a trade to a team that is willing to give him a chance.

22. Timm

Timm Member

Fc Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 6, 2017
    Or he can just outright request a transfer. Most clubs will honor the request, especially with a guy like Carleton who is local.

23. barvsenal

barvsenal Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've stopped
    The excuse is now “he didn’t play well in USL appearances” but anyone with a lick of sense would know that he was entirely set up to fail in that team. That team is very immature tactically
    and technically and is not conducive to a player like Carleton’s success.

It’s honestly just baffling to me people keep saying he’s not ready when in literally every appearance I can remember for the first team he’s either got an assist, drawn a penalty, or scored a goal. WTF ELSE CAN HE DO. It’s madness

Lookingforleftbacks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You mean "federal employment law?"

The law states that green card holders have the same employment rights as US citizens. In its early years, MLS tried to classify green card holders as internationals but got a nastygram from Uncle Sam letting them know they were breaking the law.

The problem isn't green cards. It's that since it's become so much easier to get them for MLS players - jeez, I thought Trump was gonna protect the American worker! - it's that there are too many international slots. With the ease in getting a green card, MLS teams should only need about 4 international slots.

Reduce this and you'll see more Americans on the field.

butters59 repped this.
  25. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    The kid has played well just about every time he’s gotten on the field for ATL for more than scrap minutes. Total crap that Tata runs his front 4 into the ground when Carleton can spell 3 of them.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.