Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. Look at the first post in the thread. This thread was created because people were annoyed how much posting about Carleton was happening in the MLS thread, because of how controversial Carleton already was back then. That made sense. Getting upset because people are posting about Carleton in the Carleton thread is silly.

btlove, don Lamb and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    It’s not people posting about Carleton in the Carleton thread. Silly of you to think that’s what my post was about.
    It’s about people who post like he’s still our best prospect.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Something seemed off against Philly, but 20 bad minutes (after playing 80 for a different team in a different league two nights before) should not influence anyone's opinion too much. If you have any kind of informed opinion on Carleton, you would have seen a lot of games. Across those games, you will find much more in the realm of special than of poor quality.

Look at Pomykal and how quickly his situation changed. He did not suddenly become the maestro that we are watching -- he just finally has a chance to display it.

18 is extremely young, and the idea that he is wasting away or being derailed already is straight up ridiculous.

Lookingforleftbacks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    I always assumed it would be POM-EE-CALL

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    Y’all are kinda just filling up the thread with vitriol for ussoccer.... then complaining that people are posting in the thread. Just throwing it out there. I came to see any updates on Carleton and it’s 70% shitting on ussoccer 20% him defending himself, and 10% Carleton. :/

Patrick167 and Pegasus repped this.
  6. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s pretty much what happens any time USSoccer stands by a player who is struggling. 2 years ago, almost no one but him would ever even mention Pomykal. Now, everyone acts like they’ve always liked him and knew he was this good.

butters59 repped this.
  7. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    any other examples?

8. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Palmer-Brown, Jeremy Ebobisse, I don’t remember all of them. Just go back and look at some of the ‘17 U20 and U17 threads and you’ll see plenty. There is always the “he’s not doing it on a first team so he’s no good!” crowd.

FWIW, I was a part of the anti-Ebobisse movement, but I respected USSoccer’s opinion enough not to argue when he said I just needed to see him more. As far as I can tell, BS isn’t exactly rife with those who want to admit when they are wrong tho. My guess is a lot of people suddenly become long-time Carleton fans if he ever starts to realize his potential.

Patrick167 and don Lamb repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1459 Clint Eastwood, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    That's what Big Soccer is....................................:)

The only way it stops is when Carleton consistently gets on the field so we can all make a thorough analysis. Either he plays great and lives up to the 20% defending him, or he doesn't play well and the rest say "I told you so."

I think Carleton is specifically talked about now because we KNOW Atlanta banned him from MLS Cup and the subsequent celebrations. So we not only have the on-field questions, but the off-field stuff now has also been put under the microscope.

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1109120282600660994 is not a valid tweet id

USSoccerNova, Peretz48 and Luksarus repped this.
  11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is the best post about Carleton in weeks, because it's actually about his play on the field and not the incessant chatter about this, that or the other.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it sums up his career, thus far, very well

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    He played a wicked through ball before the second goal, too. Hopefully this little camp helps him get sharp.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got on his and Ferreira's bandwagon after they destroyed Brazilian teams at Dallas Cup which has never happened in my personal experience at Dallas Cup a few years ago. Not just won but dominated. The two together are also more than they are separate. Still haven't seen it on full FCD or any US youth team as they never seem to get many minutes together but each knows what the other is thinking. Like Beasley and Donovan did.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This goes back to my long standing point that chemistry makes a huge difference between a good performance and a bad one, especially for attackers and defenders. Knowing when and where your teammate is going to make a run makes it much easier to lead him with a pass or know when to play a 1-2, when to shoot and when to slip one last pass through.

The same thing applies to defenders and knowing when to switch and when to stay with a mark, as well as when you have help and when you don’t.

17. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Subbed in the 53rd with ATL down 2-0.

Tom Collingsworth and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. barvsenal

barvsenal Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of course Carleton’s most significant minutes so far come in a match that has some of the worst field conditions I’ve ever seen. This kid has some terrible luck.

Tom Collingsworth and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I swear this kid has no luck. He finally gets a solid stretch of playing time to prove himself and the field is a marsh.

20. barvsenal

barvsenal Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The ATL fan base has turned on Carleton already.

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to turn on FdB.

22. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Personally, I don’t think that Carleton has any problems technically or tactically. I think that he pretty consistently impresses in those ways. My experience with some kids who appear to be advanced at first glance is that their communication - both verbal and non-verbal - is poor. This can be a tricky problem because teammates don’t like to play with players with poor communication, but the problem is often misdiagnosed as a “personal issue“. It isn’t personal. It is a skill set and it is pretty easily fixed once an intelligent kid realizes that he needs to fix it.

Obviously I don’t know this for a fact, but I am guessing this because multiple coaches, all of whom would benefit from Carleton doing well, keep acting like they don’t trust him. This “poor communication level” issue often gets interpreted as the kid being selfish or lazy or inconsiderate. Yet, when the kid is taught how to better communicate with his teammates and others, the problems go away pretty quickly. This seems, at least from the outside looking in, like a classic case.

Nobody is a one dimensional person and conspiracies against kids usually turn out to be coaches just not knowing how to develop young players.

I know that this sounds too simple, but I can’t tell you how often “bad kids” turn out just to be bad communicators with a very fixable issue.

23. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Not in the 18 today.

24. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    It's starting with Atlanta United 2 now

Tom Collingsworth and don Lamb repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Pereira seems to have taken his spot as second attacker off the bench. Not the start to 2019 that many envisioned.

U20 spot looks to be gone too.

dlokteff repped this.