Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I think they’ll only look to loan Barco if they don’t sell Almiron because that’d put them at 4 DP’s. That doesn’t really help Carleton much.

However there’s rumors that Club America is interested in Villalba, now that could help Carleton see more time.

2. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone on the inside of team Atlanta really know what they think of Carleton the player?

3. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    #1028 Peter Bonetti, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    All that matters in the short run is what Frank de Boer thinks of him, although I still have serious questions about de Boer.

Apparently a guy that I rarely agree with has questions about de Boer also -

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...aign=20666&hashid=KKzyfLDjtlWkffH1g6Ao4aF3IlM

I can’t even fathom the irony of my using Paul Gardner to illustrate my concerns regarding de Boer, but this is the one time that he and I actually agree on something, even if he takes his point to extreme levels, as he usually does, that I do not agree with at all.

This is the main part that I actually agree with -

‘As in any mode of play, success depends on having players who fit the system. De Boer himself told us just that at his press conference: “Style of play depends on what type of players you have.” But does he really believe that?

The question can be asked because of what happened when de Boer, after six very successful years coaching Ajax Amsterdam, ventured outside the Netherlands to coach at Inter Milan. Suddenly he encountered a problem that had never come up in the Netherlands. At Inter, logically, the bulk of the players were Italian. Latins, if you like. In this situation de Boer lasted only 85 days before he was fired.

De Boer’s explanation of the disaster, in an interview with the Italian press, is revealing: “All'Inter ho provato a fare un calcio posizionale”-- “At Inter I tried to introduce soccer based on positional play.” This was obviously something that did not go down well with the Italian players. De Boer lamented: “I’ve never seen anything like it. The boys in the youth teams at Ajax do it better. The Inter players didn’t see the value of any of my routines. I explained that these were essential concepts for understanding how we wanted to play. They quickly ignored them.”

4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    How well he does at AFC remains to be seen of course, but one slight advantage he might have is that for whatever criticism the American player gets, one thing that I have seen many European coaches comment on over the years is how coachable the American player tends to be. Of course many of AFC's players are not American...so there is that but still....

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s funny, because the first thing I thought of was the criticism that American players are not very positionally aware.

bsky22 repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Unfair criticism, but speaking of positional awareness, I joined the army 'cause my father and my brother were in the army. I figured I better join before I got drafted.

[​IMG]

xbhaskarx repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lainez was electric in his first La Liga start today.

Almost with a goal of the week.

1089587760220930049 is not a valid tweet id

Tyler Adams also very good today in his first Bund start.

Davies with his Bayern debut today.

Weah earning his first start with Celtic and already has two goals.

Sargent now appears a Werder regular with a start coming in the near future.

This is Carleton's age group. He's clearly behind.

Sombrerito repped this.
  8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I hate to sound bias, but I watch that game and he wasn't electric, Betis as a whole looked toothless and that was his only highlight of the game.

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposing De Boer isn't a kook and he gives Carleton a fair shot and he still can't beat out a Barco his quality is probably not upper echelon.

largegarlic and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  10. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Relative to Carleton, none of this matters at all. Until he either doesn't play or plays and is ineffective, there's really nothing to worry about. If he balls out this year, he's right where he should be and his trajectory will be pointing as high as ever. We can start analyzing this in just a few more weeks.

Bonne chance in your tired quest to prove that he's not that good in the meantime.

11. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Not to derail the thread even more but I watched some of it too but to me he looked good. He went through 3 players like butter and almost scored from long range. He still needs to gel with his teammates.

But anyways Carleton needs to really breakout this season or it’s questionable he’ll even make the U20 World Cup. I think he can though he clearly has the talent

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Again, with your fan-boy take.

There’s nothing in jond’s post that remotely suggests that he’s “not that good.”

It merely goes to your silly take that his peers haven’t demonstrably pulled ahead. Of course they have.

frankburgers repped this.
  13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Carleton has shown in his limited minutes that he can accomplish every bit of what that entire group has accomplished, and then some.

All of the negative that has come up around Carleton's game are completely baseless. jond's post was actually kind of cool since it recapped the performances of many players that I am interested in tracking. It took a really dumb turn on in the last line, and it was clearly a hit on AC.

As far as the interesting part of his post..... I would say the fact that all of these players are doing really well is a great sign for him. As a fan of Andrew Carleton, why would I stress that Lainez is doing well and worry about petty shit like comparing their careers at 18 years of age? I hope he becomes a world class player and continues to get dominated by the US for years to come.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    At this point one can really question whether Barco's going to even be there.
    WIth the Pity Martinez signing, Atlanta needs to dump a DP. We had assumed the Almiron sale. If that doesn't happen, then loaning out Barco is the obvious avenue. There has supposedly been interest.

Carleton is only 18. This idea that he's "falling behind," is a little premature to me. By the way, he did play 250 first team minutes this past season (between MLS and USOC. Plus 1200 for ATL2) for the best team in MLS. Josh Sargent has come on in garbage time in the Bundesliga a bunch of times to accrue a total of only 76 minutes. And Sargent isn't playing in reserve games to build up minutes.

I know knee-jerk analysis is our specialty on these boards, but let's use a little patience here.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you think that this statement: "This is Carleton's age group. He's clearly behind" is a "dumb turn" and "clearly a hit on AC"?

While one always has the right to an opinion, it would be best if they were based in reality.

frankburgers repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Notwithstanding Sargent, you don't think that Lainez has pulled ahead of Carelton?

17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    As I've said at least a couple of times here, it is totally pointless comparing the careers of 18 year olds. What are you trying to prove with nonsense like that? It was either a shot at Carleton or a troll job on people who believe that he's a great prospect.

So, why should it bother or worry any fan of Carleton's that his peers are performing well?

Sure, he's pulled ahead. He has a one hundred yard head start in a marathon. Who cares? Andrew's in a great position, and I still believe that his ability is higher than his peers who are supposedly way ahead of him in a really dumb comparison.

18. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting way ahead of things, but Carleton is tailor made for the Higuain (last night, Djordje) role in Berhalter’s system. Really hope he can kick on and become part of the pool this season.

don Lamb repped this.
  19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I made the same post but subbed out Carleton's name with anyone else who isn't a regular 1st teamer yet, like Paxton Pomykal or Busio, there would be no accusation of taking a hit at Carleton as that's a regular sports convo.

It's not a knee jerk reaction to observe Lainez, Adams, Sargent and Weah are ahead of Carleton on the development curve.

It ain't just club play either. All four are full NTers and Carleton might not even make the U20 WC.

Namdynamo, KUSA77, frankburgers and 3 others repped this.
  20. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Yeah, but it would be just as stupid. There is a reason Carleton has his own thread.

This exercise is just a waste of time when you are considering 18 year olds. They are at the VERY beginning of their careers. They are mostly at about the same spot on the "development curve" when you consider the big picture.

Obviously, national team call ups are predicated (99% of the time) by strong club play. I don't expect Carleton's call to be far away once he starts getting regular time in Atlanta.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Do I think those guys are ahead of Carleton right now on January 28th, 2019? Yes. Do I think that's indicative of who's going to be the best player at the age of 25? No. Don't get me wrong. All of those guys might have better club and international careers than Carleton. Its just too early to say with any certainty.

When he was the age that Carleton is now, Clint Dempsey was preparing to leave for Furman. Brian McBride was about to start his freshman year at SLU. I can give 25 other examples.

Sometimes playing time just has to do with first team opportunity. Carleton got 250 minutes playing for the best team in MLS, learning from Tata Martino, playing with and learning from guys like Almiron, getting a total of almost 2000 minutes between ATL and ATL2 (which is a hell of a lot more minutes than somebody like Pomykal.) He's had access to great coaching and training facilities.

I'm not some great Andrew Carleton fan. I just think we're being too hasty in drawing any conclusions.......................

Zinkoff repped this.
  22. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I think this thread is a absolute car crash.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Nobody has disagreed with what you’ve stated - AC could be the best player of his generation and that it is way too early in his career to write him off.

That being said, the relevant point was whether AC is behind others in his generation right NOW. Lamb for whatever reason refuses to acknowledge it while at the same time erroneously stating that posters are criticisimg his potential.

24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I clearly acknowledged it. I have downplayed its relevance, however. Comparing the careers of 18 year old prospects shows an enormous lack of perspective.

Why should the fact that his peers are doing well in their respective situations color my stance on AC? He is immensely talented, and he is about to get his chance. It just so happens that he is on a slightly different timeline than some of his peers (this is at least in part due to league schedules).

And, don't act like there aren't people taking shots at AC and claiming that he's not that good. That take has become absurdly popular given the lack of evidence to support it.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    First, you haven't acknowledged it and you clearly stated that either he wasn't behind or that it was irrelevant.

Next, who are these posters who don't want AC to be successful in the past 5 pages? what exactly did they say that was so negative?

I get that you are a huge fan and may have his picture above your bed but I'll again say that acknowledging that AC has materially* fallen behind several of his peers is not "taking shots at AC and claiming that he's not that good."

* he is not 100 yards behind in a marathon, he is a half mile behind at the 4-5 mile mark. Significant but not enough to rule him out in a long race.