Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Was Carleton in training yesterday? I have seen the photos and videos of their first session and I can't find him in any of them.

I am somewhat surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

2. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    This is silly. First of all, the only way that it makes sense to compare these players is by potential. It seems clear that the timeline for AC was always going to start this season. The only thing that is clear about these players at this point is that they have been managed differently by their first club. America was set to sell Lainez, probably because that is what he wanted. Atlanta seems more interested in having Carleton become a big part of their team for a year or two before they move him (the Tyler Adams route) -- It has been a while, but this is what Andrew has indicated is a dream of his.

If you insist on comparing where they are right this minute, it would not be accurate to say that Carleton has "fallen" behind. If anything, he is "starting" behind. He hasn't "fallen" anywhere at this point of his career. He has progressed steadily and is set to start his career in the coming weeks. If this timeline stalls, then we can ask questions about why and how far he has "fallen." This says nothing of his potential or ceiling.

Why would we care where these players are right this second? They are both at the very beginning of their careers. As long as they are in good teams where they face good competition and good developmental environments where they have good coaching and good players around them, that is what matters most. I maintain that Carleton is a better player than Lainez. I would also assert that he is a better player than Weah, despite their different circumstances, too. There is a lot more nuance to this than simply looking at where they are playing and what they are doing at 18 years old.

3. CommunityShop

CommunityShop New Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 9, 2018
    Yes he was. There are some pics of him on Atlanta’s social media.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    This is the thread that I check every day because I can't get myself to look away....Let's change the name to "Train Wreck".

frankburgers and Peretz48 repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Atlanta is a rail hub.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  6. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The excitement building right now for Andrew should be incredible. I don't get all of the tension that people feel...

Freaking out that he's dropped far below Diego Lainez...
    Going as far as to admitting him into rehab...
    Fretting over every new signing that Atlanta makes....
    Stalking his social media for signs that he is too weak...
    Arguing that de Boer is not a good coach for his development...
    Wondering why nobody is "swooping in" with 500k in allocation money....

please, can we just settle down and get hype about finally getting to watch this kid play!

Thundering165 repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m not sure you even read posts before responding with your fan-boy perspective (which you are perfectly entitled to be).

1. Potential is certainly not the only way to judge young professional players. One player has a lot more minutes played for a better team - that’s a pretty easy way to judge current performance. In terms of potential for youth prospects, transfer fees are also a reasonable indicator and a major league team has put a large value on Lainez while one has yet to be paid for AC (nor does transfermarkt show a large value). Lastly, we’ve had a scout state here that the jury is still out of AC’s potential. I’ll again state that it’s entirely possible that AC’s ceiling is far higher and I’d be thrilled; you as a super fervid backer lose tremendous credibility when you cannot acknowledge simple statements of truth.

2. The post you quoted doesn’t say anything about AC “falling behind” but said that Lainez is ahead so WTF is all the “fallen” nonsense?

frankburgers repped this.
  8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    How many minutes do you think AC gets in all competitions with Atlanta United this season?

9. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I'm not sure. I'm not very good at that game. I think he will play meaningful minutes, and I think he starts a bunch.

10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I hope you are right.

11. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    ouch, bro

Comparing the careers of 18 year olds is a complete waste of time. If you want to compare their potential, you are probably still wasting your time, but at least you would be talking about an end point that is worth talking about.

Please tell me you're not actually using transfermarkt to judge players' value. You might as well use a video game.

I've had a scout tell me the exact opposite. There are lots of "scouts" and agents/player reps, etc., and they all have their own opinions.

word

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Did someone say falling behind?

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...f-the-u-s-u-20-team-and-looks-ahead-to-poland

{Our very own} BRIAN SCIARETTA FOR ASN: You mentioned Andrew Carleton. It seems like it has been tough to get him involved with the team for a variety of reasons. Are you still looking to try to get him involved? Is he in the picture?

{US U20 Coach Tab} RAMOS: Of course. It's open for everybody. I think Andrew now has to play. I don't think Andrew Carleton has played more than a few games the past six months. That's a big disadvantage to him.

We had guys who went to qualifying who played eight games in four weeks. That's just qualifying and now they have another camp under their belt. They guys who went back to Europe have been playing every week - whether that's Gloster, Soto, Taitague, or even Sargent or Weah. The door is open to every player but he keeps falling behind. As he starts the preseason with Atlanta, if does really well in the spring, yes, of course he's back in the picture. No question.

TxEx, Namdynamo, Anderson11 and 4 others repped this.
  13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    oof those tab comments are brutal for carleton

frankburgers repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab has now made it crystal clear that he's a reckless, irresponsible jerk who doesn't know what he's doing. Does he have any idea what these comments are going to do to this thread?

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Rob Usry sums up (with style, if somewhat unintelligibly/inaccurately) ...

"....

A new season brings a new manager and new hope. All of the hype has pretty much died. His place on the upcoming U-20 World Cup team seems like it’s devolved from a near certainty to a pipe dream. A strong preseason could go a long way in reviving both. It’s up to him to improve both on and off the field and prove he wants to be a professional soccer player in reality instead of in theory.

...."

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...anta-united-players-who-need-a-good-preseason

xbhaskarx and Patrick167 repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hot damn.

Scathing words as the anti-Carleton haters rooting for his demise multiply like the plague.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Here we go panicking again....

Ramos is speaking strictly in the context of the U20 team. Of course he has to condemn not being available for anything and then walking into the team. While this is some healthy drama for the U20s, this is not necessarily a bad thing at all for Carleton's career. At this point, the only thing that makes sense is planning to move forward without him.

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More competition for AC?

http://soc.cr/3FoW30nkoIV

Atlanta United have acquired 19-year-old midfielder Dion Pereira from Watford, the club announced Tuesday. He is a product of the Premier League side's academy, which he joined when he was 9-years-old.

Pereira made two appearances for the senior side and excelled at the U-23 level, being named Watford’s Young Player of the Season for 2016/17. In 2017/18, he scored 13 goals for the U-23 side across 28 appearances.

19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Definitely competition, but I think Carleton should aim more for the #10 spot on the Depth chart

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they even use a #10?

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take this as Tab lighting a fire.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Make your haters your motivators!

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #RiseandGrind

24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Apparently Barco is being loaned out to make room for Pity Martinez. This should help out Carleton definitely get plenty of playing time.

USSoccerNova and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  25. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source