Andrew Carleton

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess if Atlanta is all in on winning this year and the salary cap would allow them to fit a player like Dax and Vincent under the cap there is a scenario where a GM would consider it as long as Atlanta keep the vast majority of the proceeds from any transfer and got TAM/GAM.

If I was Atlanta's fan though and they pulled that trade I would be unhappy.

2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It is easier to trade baseball prospects because:

1) There is no salary cap implications
    2) Baseball prospects can't be sold for financial windfall

A team has players like Carleton and Bello who could likely be sold for seven figures right now. If sold the MLS team that sells them will get $700,000 TAM. They are also not paid that much in relation to the salary cap.

In order for a team to want to trade that cheap asset with a lot of potential value, the team acquiring that asset is going to have to give up a ton of current value and that value is going to have to fit under the cap.

If a team is really fine with trading that type of asset they are probably better off just selling them to a foreign club and reaping the TAM and $$$.

don Lamb and xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    no.. he actually thinks this

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    carleton jersey featured in the 5 stripes match day hype tweet. probably nothing but you never know

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. He'll be on the bench (like always), and likely won't play. I think best case scenario is 10-15 minutes off the bench.

Atlanta has already signed an Almiron replacement. Almiron hasn't left, but they'll be forced to sell him with this signing. Martino also reportedly has a verbal agreement with Mexico. It doesn't seem like he's going to be returning to Atlanta next season.

Carleton could benefit from a more young-American friendly manager, but I can't see him getting the minutes he'd need next season. He should look for a move away. What is the best case scenario here? He's first off the bench in attacking midfield? That would be better than the minutes he currently gets, but if he's going to play for an MLS team, he needs the opportunity to be able to let his play dictate his minutes. That isn't going to happen at Atlanta with their high-priced foreign signings. We've already seen this season that Barco plays ahead of him, regardless of Barco's not playing well and Carleton doing well when he's played.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta's still going for the shield and Tata is gone after this season. From that perspective, Carleton has a -5% chance of starting a game for the rest of the year.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wooooooooo

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  10. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'll take that reverse jinx :thumbsup:

11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Villalba hurt?

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He is. Returned from a Paraguay NT training camp injured.

Tom Collingsworth and TarHeels17 repped this.
  13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I guess now we know how Carleton can get PT. Almiron AND Villalba need to be unavailable. Kratz isn’t there, either.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    wasted my mega millions karma on that prediction dang

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm turning off the Milan derby to watch Carlton.

16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say it but I'm more and more concerned about his athleticism every time he plays. It takes him noticeably more effort to even jog. It looks like his shoes weigh a hundred pounds the way he's playing. He's also been unable to catch up to his own team's breaks when he doesn't even have the ball. It's concerning.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought people gave Carleton too much credit for his play in his first start, and I feel like there are too many complaints in this game. He's been pretty good. His pass to McCann helped create the second goal, although he won't get an assist because a Fire player put it in.

He's been close on a couple through balls, forced a save that went out for a corner and has won back possession twice in key areas.

Also, if Barco would pass the ball, he could've had another few shots in good areas.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I like what I've seen from him today, a lot, but I agree that his athleticism is noticeably below average for his position.

He's got the mental and technical ability to play just about anywhere, but his 5-yard burst is.. not good. Sometimes I'm waiting on him to go by a couple of guys off of the dribble, but he doesn't have that quick first step required to be a burner on the wing.

I think the athleticism can be overcome if he just keeps getting stronger and keep improving technically/tactically/etc. He's committed defensively, has instinctive vision, a great first touch, great technique, calm and relaxed on the ball, etc. He's got everything you'd want in an attacking midfielder except that burst of speed. He needs to work on that this off-season. If he's not going to be the quickest than he needs to at least be strong. Good stuff so far today, though.

gunnerfan7 and largegarlic repped this.
  19. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What I've liked is his commitment to winning the ball back. He was the one jockeying the Chicago player on top of the 18 when they scored their goal. He didn't win the ball, but it's not his responsibility to be back there trying to win the ball back, but there he was anyways covering for Gressel (who's been our worst player today, imo). When he turns it over, he follows the ball and is clever enough to get it back at times.

I also agree on the through balls. They don't always come off but I love the commitment to trying them. When they do come off the team is always in a good position to score.

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i havent seem anything today to downgrade my perceptions of his athleticism tbh

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were your initial perceptions?

dougtee repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that he wasnt a burner but was quick enough to beat a man 1v1. adequate for someone who can pass like he does, but never going to be a guy catching up to the counter

deejay, ussoccer97531 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We now resume our regular MLS programming of younger foreign players and journeymen Americans.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Carleton subbed out at about 65. Didn't deserve to come off (he was playing much better than Barco for example), but it was surprising to begin with that he was starting.

He didn't make much impact in the second half. A couple of touches, one shot that was just wide, but Atlanta has been much worse in this half, and I think the possession stats would show that they've had a lot less of the ball. A lot of defending.

He had an okay showing. Maybe slightly in the good category. He's not on the same page as his teammates, which isn't surprising, given he never plays.

gunnerfan7 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Carleton looked like he fit in, but barco looks like $15 million right until any reminder that its a team sport