Andrea Pirlo

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by TOMMO, Jul 26, 2004.

1. TOMMO

TOMMO New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Does Pirlo play as a Holding player or an attacking midfielder for AC? and if so how do they line up?

How is Pirlo rated at AC? Defensive/Attacking qualities?

2. darudude

darudude New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    canada
    pirlo plays in attacking mid (atleaset in most of the games ive seen him in). i think he's an essential player to the squad.

3. Pirlo_United

Pirlo_United New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Pirlo's actually a defensive mid, usually holds up ball and play long balls, responsible for distribution. Kaka's the attacking mid in milan's lineup, he goes forward a lot more than Pirlo

4. rossoneri_22

rossoneri_22 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 18, 2004
    Andrea Pirlo is a deep playmaker. He is not the ball winner of the midfield as Seedorf and Gattuso can do that. In Milan's 4-1-2-1-2 formation he plays ahead of the defense. His job is to carry the ball forward and set up attack from further back than Kaka' or Rui Costa.

He is a great player and is essential at Milan. He takes free kicks and penalties and he sets up great attack.

5. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Also known as 4-4-2 diamond.

Pirlo is a central midfielder, neither a holding midfielder or attacking..

6. TOMMO

TOMMO New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    So Pirlo plays just in front of the back four so almost like a holding playmaker with Kaka behind the front two?
    Does this mean AC lack width?
    Saw Pirlo briefly at Euro 2004 and thought he looked an exceptional player. With him and Kaka in the midfield Ac must look class.
    Is Pirlo defensively strong? Thoguht his range of passing was amazing

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    In a word, no. Luckily, he typically has Gattuso alongside him to make up for his shortcomings in that area. They complement each other perfectly.

8. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Basically Pirlo is the monster pimp and the rest of Milan is his bitches...j/k.

Seriously though he is a great player and I've praised him many times.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104790
    Here's an old thread where we made some minor comparisons to Zidane.

9. Catenaccio-maldini

Catenaccio-maldini New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    pirlo plays in the center but not the PLAYMAKER .

guys any one remember the Euro2000 for the Youth , i think , , pirlo was playing as playmaker same as zidane in france or totti in italy nowadays .

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Pirlo is playing the position described by Italians as the "regista" - the director. I think it's a good description. And yes, before he moved to Milan, he was typically played in a more advanced position, but he seems to have found his niche further back.

11. sokkerluver

sokkerluver Red Card

Jul 22, 2004
    Chicago,Illinois,USA
    He is a great player????

12. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Isn't this the role that Veron excels in?

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Come to think of it, they are sort of similar, although I think Veron was at his best when he made long penetrating runs from that position, which had the effect of opening up the defense, while Pirlo's strength is his ablility to make quick pinpoint passes of all distances.

14. SIMBOSTER

SIMBOSTER Red Card

Jul 27, 2004
    Area 51

These two both also have mean shots and give the space,even from 30 yards or more.

15. savicevic

savicevic New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I have not been part of the board for that long, but I've seen two threads talking about Pirlo already. It is a good thing that everybody is actually recognizing the good work he has done since moving back to this intermediary role he now plays at Milan. Linking defense with offense... His match with Gattuso is indeed perfect because he certainly lacks in the defensive area of the game. Nevertheless you have to give props to Ancelotti for using him in this way and having a great complement to him like Rino. Pirlo won't be here at the start of the season, so we will see how Milan will cope with him missing. Hopefully they still play great and Ambro can get some more playing time. (yes, I am a Ambro fan!!!) It's going to be his 9th season, and I've known him longer than Pirlo ;) . Anyways...

FORZA MILAN!!!!

16. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For all those unique skills and so much more makes him my favourite.

18. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've heard he was an attacking midfielder who has adapted quite well to life as a defensive midfielder. his passing and set ups from the central part of the field are a great addition to any team, Milan or if he had gotten the chance, to the Italian national team.

19. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Pirlo for many years was thought to be the successor to Roby Baggio. But Inter never gave him a shot to become a regular first eleven player. But he did show it for the Italian u-21 team for years as he is the most decorated Italian in the u-21 age group. Inter finally sold Pirlo and Milan picked him up. Unfortunately for him, a week after he joined Rui Costa was signed. His first year at Milan he was basically a reserve player. He didn't play much until the end of the year when he was played on the left of midfield. He showed well in those games. But as the new season started Milan bought 2 more players who play his position(Seedorf and Rivaldo). There was talk that Rui Costa or Pirlo would be sold before the season but it didn't happen. What happened is that Carlo Ancelotti experimented with using either Seedorf, Pirlo, or Rui Costa in front of the defense. He was trying to find a way to play all his No. 10s at the same time. Pirlo worked out the best in the DM postion because he previously played that position at Brescia. And for the first 2 months of the season Milan played Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa, and Rivaldo all at the same time. In this time is when Milan reemerged onto the European scene with wins over @Deportive 4-0 and defeating Bayern twice 2-1. Pirlo was instrumental to the new way Milan played and he hasn't lost his starting position since.

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I believe they call the position "pivote" in Spain. Its quite similar to the role Beckham played for Real last year.
    And while he is similar to Veron, Seba played in a more advanced role for Lazio (where he was best) because he had Simeone behind him.

21. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize for the thread bump...wasn't sure exactly where to place this:

Andrea Pirlo has held talks with members of the Italian FA and some clubs as he considers the next step in his career. Pirlo, 38, will be given an official send-off at a San Siro testimonial next month.
    He has been working as a pundit but is considering a future in coaching and told La Gazzetta dello Sport he is weighing up his next move.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/italy/story/3452245/andrea-pirlo-reveals-discussions-over-coaching-roles-with-italy-and-clubs