Ander Herrera Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Herreras importance to our results lately doesn't just show why he should be kept here. More importantly it shows why we should invest heavily in CMs that allow us to play a 3 man midfield and free up Pogba.

How has it taken Jose two years to discover what most of us knew the second we bought Pogba?

2. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Player of the Year to squad player: what does this season hold for Herrera?

www.mufclatest.com/ander-herrera-from-player-of-the-year-to-squad-player-what-does-this-season-hold-for-the-spaniard/

Since the 3rd spot in midfield will eventually go to Fred in all likelihood, I'm looking for Herrera to be Matic's main alternative in the holding role. Optimistically, I would hope for a 60/40 split in games at that spot (would certainly be an improvement on the near 100% of games Matic played for us last term).
    As previously mentioned, the games I would definitely want to see him play in are games against teams who primarily defend/bunker, with little or limited offensive threats. His passing ability and quick thinking are needed far more than Matic then.
    Guessing on occasion, he could supplement Fred, but at the 6 is where he's going to be really needed. Hoping also that his contract situation can be resolved and he'll end up staying a little while longer. Fool's hope perhaps, but he does care for the club, so we'll see. He's going to be needed, so I'm looking first and foremost to see him not only as often as possible, but as effective as ever...

4. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Herrera is too good to be a squadie. If he stays, I'm happy...but I would totally understand if he wants to leave after the way he is being treated by Mourinho.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On top of that, he's sitting in favor of Matic who's an inferior player in almost all situations. Matic is a better tackler when hes not getting ran past like a pylon. Otherwise, what does he do better than Herrera as the 6? Nothing.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every top team has players who are quality, but don't necessarily start. It does not make them less vital to the team in general. Herrera definitely falls into that category. I expect him to have his fair share of games as well.
    Unless he goes to a smaller team, he's a lock to start. If he were to go to Barca as it was rumored, he'd be in a marginally better situation than United.
    If he goes on to become a completely forgotten man and does not play at all, not only would he completely right to leave as soon as possible, but Mourinho should be sacked before he actually does leave the club.
    We'll see what happens, but I expect him to have a good year.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers and LGRod repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Herrera is a hard guy not to like. That's why I find it funny that most other PL clubs fans tend to hate him. He does like to flop around and is a bit of a pest on the field but he says and does all the right things off it.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More talk out there that Herrera really wants to stay at the club and is ready to put pen to paper to that effect. Like Dave, not overly worried yet since I believe that the club and him will come to an agreement, but I'd like to see those deals done already.
    Never know what can happen, with guys like the both of them actually in the final year of their current contract (especially when they can sign pre contract agreements as soon as January for instance).

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera helps bring balance to United's midfield.

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11543792/could-ander-herrera-help-to-bring-balance-for-manchester-united

There is no doubt that Herrera's introduction to the game this past weekend changed the team's fortunes for the better. However I would have preferred if he came on for Matic. Fred did not have a great game, but Matic was worse, continuing on the poor form he's been for some time now.
    Fred showed some promise of what he can do vs Everton at least. Plus, a mid 3 of Herrera, Fred and Pogs could be exactly what we need to bring out the very best of the team as well.
    Still happen to believe Matic could be of some use in certain games, but at the moment, he is completely useless and like Lukaku, I believe that a total shutdown for a period of time would do wonders.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Feel sorry for Herrera as he is one of the few players we have who (when he has a run of games) usually shows a consistent performance and also seems to be vocal in motivating and organising others on the pitch. Plus he usually says the right things to the media as he is one of the few who 'gets' the club and its fans.

In recent years, he has been dumped on by LVG for daring to get forward and had to lose his place in midfield to players like Rooney.

With Mou it started well, but then Mou threw a tantrum because he took a friend with links to Celta Vigo to the training ground. Has then spent a lot of time out the first team and tbf not always impressed when he has been thrown the odd game. But then he also gets given some strange jobs like this season playing at CB with Jones and Smalling against Spurs (which was never going to end well).

#freeander to #freepogba :)

In general rate him above Fred and McT (who will both hopefully develop) and definitely over current form Matic. He deserves better.

benni..., Deadtigers and Gilma1990 repped this.
  13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What I like most about Ander is his energy. In a team that presses, he can either be one of the players that starts the press, or he can be a secondary presser. He does have limitations, but he shoots well with either foot, he has a good passing range and his one and two touch play is better than most of our midfielders.

If you let him play alongside Fred or AP, he's going to form a cohesive unit on the ball, capable of dominating possession and winning the ball back. Likely to be picked apart on occasion but also capable of taking to opponents.

Like has been said, he's got a bit of a raw deal. He is, in my mind, captain material. It is a terrible fate that we have suffered through Rooney, Fellaini, Matic and McTominay played ahead of him.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He is intelligent operator and like you said has energy to run all game. He slip few through balls aswell but given his defensive role at club since his arrival he has never been properly utilized he can play anchor man aswell as deep playmaker role if you had seen him play for Bilbao he was their linkup player. Fred may have not settled but one thing i like his willingness to find runner and spin through balls. Fred has potential to be in starting 11 every week and he will be there once he comes to terms with jose style of play.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Times are reporting that Herrera could be close to signing a new deal with United. He turned down the club's first offer, but it is suggested that he really wants to stay with the club, with discussions going well.
    Would be a nice boost if they could get this done tbh. Need a bit of good news with what's going on currently at the club.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obvious that guys like Martial and especially Dave are the priority and have to be re-signed pretty much no matter what. But Herrera is almost equally important imo. He's had some good periods before under the 2 previous managers, but I'm not sure he's ever been better than he has of late.
    His work in midfield is mostly in the shadows but it's vitally important to us: he gives Pogs the platform he needs to be at his best and he's making Magic decent enough even. No ifs or buts about it: Herrera has to be tied down by seasons' end. And he wants to stay, so it really should not be that hard either.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I said in the other thread that he is moving up and needs to start being discussed as one of the best we have ever acquired. He is vital to our form and has made the purchase of Fred seem even odder.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera would probably be in the top 10 of United midfielders I've seen (from the 90s onwards) but he does miss in the top 10 United mids of all time (makes the top 15 perhaps?)
    We need to give him a new contract, but we also have to remember that he's 29 now (will be 30 by the time next season starts) and his window is getting shorter.
    A 3yr contract, with a possible option would probably be the right way to go (can play it year by year after, as we do with players over 30).
    There's nothing wrong with the acquisition of Fred: he's still a young, high quality player. Just because he's taking time to adapt, doesn't necessarily make him a bust (just need to look at Lindelof, who plenty wanted out last year, as one example among many).
    And as well as Herrera is playing now, we don't know how much longer he can keep performing at that level, therefore having strong alternatives is only smart and what a club like ours should be aspiring to.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In Ole system with Matic and Pogs ever-present, Herrera is pretty much irreplacable for us. Just dont see the same three attributes required to play with Matic & Pogs in any of our other mids;

- energy to cover the ground
    - link play to get the forward players involved quickly
    - defensive nous (ie spot runs, cover passing lanes, break-up play)

Fred, AP, McT etc. all have deficiency in one of above for me.

20. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ander’s age is a factor we have to consider as we look ahead, but he’s getting it done now and looks more than fit enough to serve the club with distinction next season.

Brilliant player who should never have been relegated behind Fellaini in Jose’s pecking order.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  23. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You gotta love this guy if you support United [emoji8]

Deadtigers, jeff070, Ashur and 7 others repped this.
  24. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ********ing love this man. He's a throwback to the Fergie days and deserves the armband.

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Deadtigers repped this.