Ander Herrera Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #476 Ashur, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Perhaps Jose is simply waiting to see how Carrick finishes the season and sees where he is mentally before offering him an extension. That appears to be very reasonable to me and it's no big deal really yet that he hasn't been offered a new one yet, IMO.
    And again, I don't see your point that we'd be ill equipped if we were to add a solid 6 to take Carrick's place next season. We'd be ill equipped with the wrong type of CM added, that much is certain, whether we play in a mid 2 or 3. But with the right guy, our midfield could be pretty solid potentially, with a good mix of experience and potentially big talents who would get opportunities.
    But again, I wonder who exactly you would have in mind to upgrade our midfield, that would push Herrera out. As mentioned, if you're thinking of someone like Saul or Vidal, yes I would agree, but that type of player is not vitally needed at this time...

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected unfortunately, Herrera is going to be suspended for 2 games as a result of his sending off. Should be just one under normal circumstances , but he gets the additional one as he already got one such ban previously this season.
    So, no Zlatan and Herrera in the 2 upcoming league games vs Boro and WBA.

3. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will lose.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #479 Ashur, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Zlatan stunts our attack and Herrera is grossly overrated and should be replaced in the summer. It should be no problems at all in those 2 games they will miss...

5. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you mad??

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sarcasm. Ashur grasps the nature of the massive contribution both players have made to United this season and is merely mocking those who do not.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Ashur is a simpleton.

Ibrahimovic scoring goals and Herrera running about a lot does not equate to good performances, does not make them great players and does not make them a great fit for the system and team.

8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not sure we have a settled system?

We have a fairly settled style, but not a system.

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We alternate between 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 with the use of a double and single pivot respectively.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  10. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, that's my point. We change it up more than most comparable teams.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #486 Ashur, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    And you apparently have a basic comprehension problem. I have maintained time and again that fundamentally, I agree that Zlatan may not be the optimal choice in terms of a striker for this team. Nonetheless, he is who we have at the moment and there is clearly no one near as effective as putting the ball in the back of the net at this time.
    And whether you like it or not, that trait alone makes him extremely valuable to the team at this time. Whether he stays or goes, my hope is that we bring in another top shelf striker (my preference being Aubameyang personally). As far as Herrera goes, I explained my stance on him in detail I believe in the last 2 pages and addressed what role and under which setup I find him more than valuable but to make the claim he offers nothing is equally idiotic in itself.
    The blockhead to me clearly is the one, such as yourself, who glaringly and stubbornly refutes the obvious, especially when there is no real alternative currently available to improve the current situation...

Gilma1990 repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #487 Ashur, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    To be fair, this is nothing new from Mourinho coached teams. He's routinely and switched formations depending on the opponent or personnel on hand in his Chelsea, Real and Inter tenures. And that has never prevented to find success, in one way or another either...

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Trim your mutton chops, Teso. Ashur actually gets it right most of the time.

As for Ibra, scoring goals is a much more reliable indicator of a striker's "good performance" than demonstrating sublime technique without end product. End product is everything for a striker and Ibra has delivered said end product. Whether he will continue to deliver end product remains to be seen, but so far his 26 goals have come in very handy. We be fekked without his 26 goals...and it's still only mid-March.

As for Herrera, he has been nothing less than fantastic for United this season. We can blame him for getting sent off against Chelsea but that has to be viewed against the backdrop of multiple key performances for us this season. The natural comparison is to Kante, who's having by universal account an outstanding season.

Per 90 minutes in the Premier League, Herrera creates more chances (1.43 to 0.64), makes more interceptions (3.46 to 2.33) and makes more tackles (2.57 to 2.37). He may also be more susceptible to wear-and-tear, suffering far more fouls (1.68 to 0.44) but is clearly no saint himself (making 1.83 fouls per 90 minutes to Kante's 1.57).

http://www.espnfc.com/club/manchest...ide-zlatan-as-man-united-player-of-the-season

Let's be clear: Kante > Herrera. But it cannot be argued Herrera has been having anything less than a fantastic season, despite the undeniable blemish of his early sending off against Chelsea.

It's well know that Ashur does not consider me a friend, but I have no hesitation in vehemently disputing your assertion that Ashur is a simpleton. (Although I am looking forward to seeing him hurl "haymakers" at you and become your "huckleberry"). You need to see the larger picture and the larger picture is that Jose was never going to be able to instantly make a squad that was bequeathed to him one of the great squads in Europe. Ibra is not a long term answer for United but he's part of the solution in rebuilding a side that can challenge for a CL trophy next season. Ander is a massive part of the side that, at least I believe, will enable us to challenge for an EPL and a CL trophy next season.

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Herrera is a better player than Teso is a poster.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Herrera does have a major flaw that has not helped the team...

...he's not doing the work of 3 midfielders.

Whether in a 2 with Mr jog-around, or 3 with Jog-around and Old man-Cratchett...he is currently only able to do the work of 2 midfielders. He needs to work on that part of his game.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera this season is carrying extremely well the new responsibilities Jose gave to him. Being an harasser of sorts, who expands tons of energy and does the bulk of the running is his job. And as well as he's got in this new role, he still can't touch Carrick on what he can do, otherwise he'd be a solid DLP, even in a mid 2 especially against teams with a strong midfield (something that is has been revealed not to be the case and which is fine in the end).
    That is exactly why the need of a top shelf DLP or DCM is more vital and evident as ever, as opposed to another 8 as some are calling for...

18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Deadtigers and Ashur repped this.
  19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I love it. Give me more.

Don't let Pogba have all the fun.

cr7torossi, Futbol_Head and Gilma1990 repped this.
  20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unfortunately I missed the match as I am traveling. But glad that we won. Heard that Herrera was too good. Should be considered for captaincy next season.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera was excellent today. "Bossing it" is very appropriate: he had Hazard in his pocket, while completely running our attack. Just a complete performance on his part. Incredible.
    Hope you'll get to watch the game later: in the first half at least, probably our best display, team wise. From the 70th min on, retreated a bit too much for my liking and let them have the initiative a bit too much, but it was just awesome.

Deadtigers and United 16 repped this.
  22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just read this joke on guardian comments section by a user:

Herrera went home and emptied his pockets- keys, phone, wallet and hazard

[emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ive come to the conclusion I think we should move Herrera to the single pivot permanently next season and go all in for a dynamic, all around 8 to play alongside him and Pogba.

That, a dynamic, physical 9, a new lb and another CB.

That's my wish list.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Need a winger as well.

25. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Remember that time I said Herrera is our best player this season...and some muppet responded with 'he's vanilla'

Gilma1990 repped this.