Ander Herrera Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ander Herrera signs for United
    Manchester United is delighted to announce that, after triggering the buy-out clause in his contract on Tuesday, it has signed Spanish midfielder Ander Herrera from Athletic Club in Bilbao, pending the receipt of the International Transfer Certificate. He joins on a four-year contract, with an option to extend for a further year.

Ander, 24, from Bilbao, joined Athletic Club from Real Zaragoza in 2011 and has since made 128 appearances, scoring 11 goals. He has been capped by Spain at Under-20, Under-21 and Under-23 level.

Manchester United assistant manager Ryan Giggs said: "Ander is a fantastic young player, with great energy and creativity. We believe him to be one of the brightest young prospects in Spain and I am certain he will be a big hit with the United fans. I’m delighted he has made the decision to come to Manchester and play his part in the club’s future. I’m looking forward to seeing him in action on our summer tour to America.”

Ander Herrera said: "Signing for Manchester United is a dream come true. I have played at Old Trafford for Athletic Club in the UEFA Europa League and it was one of the highlights of my career so far. I have joined United to do all I can to help the team reach the club's objectives. Having arrived on Tuesday, I’m excited to now be living in Manchester and I can’t wait for my first game in United’s famous red shirt. I will never forget my time with Athletic Club and I’d like to thank the fans and staff for all their support and, above all, wish all my fantastic former team-mates all the best for the future."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...e=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

2. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No complaints, been following him for some time. Very good start to the summer

jeff070 and benni... repped this.
  3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Quote this fellas. Book mark it too.

Syed agrees with the club in full on this one! :D

jeff070, J'can, nimma and 8 others repped this.
  4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Not for me. Would have preferred other targets. At least Woodward has managed to push something through.

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They could have done this last summer if not couple of summers ago but I guess Moyes thought Fellaini is a better midfielder.

Also Martinez was available the same way with no big club willing to take a chance

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, story goes Herrera was a Fergie/Club target and we did want to move last summer. But, Moyes needed time to make the assessment for himself before sanctioning. Hence the delay and passing on Fellaini at first and letting his release clause expire.

The down side to giving a manager too much power I suppose.

I wonder if we learned a lesson this year and have decided to pursue more "club targets"

SyedZada repped this.
  7. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

LGRod repped this.
  8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Need to bulk up :p

9. onetwopass

onetwopass Member

Manchester United
    South Korea
    Jun 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I haven't seen him play before but looks like he's a quality midfielder. Can't wait until he takes the place of Fellaini/Cleverly spot.

10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Still can't believe we signed a midfielder.

johno and Futbol_Head repped this.
  11. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    A REAL one too!

benni... repped this.
  12. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Almost cant believe it either.

What are the expectations from those that have watched him?

From what I have read he seems to be an all-rounder. Defensively decent and puts a tackle in. Tidy on the ball and good touch. Can be creative if playing in a CAM position.

Just what we need as a partner to Carrick, and young and adaptable enough to pair with someone else once Carrick needs replacing.

13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We've signed a bloody midfielder. One who can pass into tight spaces and spot clever through balls. One who will link up effectively with the likes of Kagawa, Mata and Adnan.

Less and less likely we get James, unless van Gaal has such a stonking World Cup that he's able to use his personal success to cancel out our lack of CL action. We need at least one defence-frightening winger, ideally another classy CM and a new CB. And among others we want shot of Rooney so we can put that £300k a week to good use. But I'm very happy with Ander and Shaw coming in before the start of July.

benni... repped this.
  14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which James are you talking about? Hames (James) Rodrigues from Colombia?

16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Yup. There was a lot of talk of him not enjoying playing in front of empty seats in a league a step or two down from Portugal. It was always a long shot we'd be able to pick him up, the way he's playing right now he's going to end up winning someone a presidential election in La Liga some time soon.

benni... repped this.
  17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    don't see why it is less likely. we can use him and he wants to join an actually competitive league

18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okay, who the hell is our PR person?? This is NOT a good pose for a photo shoot. Last thing we need is to look like we are supporting Bitey McBiter.

20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unless we do a major dump (and re-tool) of players up front, we need someone more dynamic than James. I think he's brilliant, and wouldn't say no, but he would be way, way down the attacker priority list for me.

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    How do you convince one of the richest clubs in the world to sell arguably the hottest property in world football; once you do, how do you convince that player to play for a non-CL side over the inevitable competition for his signature?

If Colombia get knocked out next game, then we have an outside chance. If they manage another couple of matches and he notches another couple of world class performances, we'll be SOL.

22. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words: Manchester United.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't know about hottest property but i think this CL thing is really overstated. of course it doesn't help but it isn't like a liverpool situation a few years ago where it was clear there was no hope of getting back for a while. it is only 1 year and he is young.

also, Rybolovlev just lost a lot of dough due to his divorce and there is also the Ligue 1 pressure on Monaco to pay taxes. a sale would not be remotely unreasonable or far-fetched

24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    The other words in that sentence are "are not Barcelona or Real Madrid". We're kidding ourselves if we believe we'll be competing with Tottenham for his signature.

Shaqiri has allegedly ruled himself out of signing for us because he wants to play in the Champions League. Could be bull, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a factor for some. I agree it's not really a huge concern long term, but it's hardly nothing when you can afford to be picky about which rich, elite club you want to move to.

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The issue re James is that by all accounts Monaco will already be losing Falcao to Real Madrid this summer. I don't see them losing both.