News: And our new manager is...UNAI EMERY?!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by AEAAFC96, May 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    His numbers were only marginally better in the few games he got at PSG.

2. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different midfield than Sevilla
    In his last year at Sevilla ..he was best defensive midfielder in la liga
    west brom had 4 managers last season... including the great tony pulls... this isn’t the first nor last time .. where a talented player from la liga ... is marginalized by the great English managers

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I rate him and he would be cheap

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    In a league that included Busquets that's a little hyperbolic. Off the top of my head I can also name two other DMs from the 2015/16 La Liga Season that I would prefer over Krychowiak, Casemiro in his first year as a regular starter for Real Madrid and Illaramendi in his first year at Real Sociadad. All three were just as efficient at breaking up play and all three were and are better passers,

I'm may be engaging in a little hyperbole myself,but I believe Krychowiak is the Polish Coquelin. Even though West Brom had four managers, in a team that only had 44% possession on the season I would expect better numbers from a "destroyer".

5. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think he is the polish coquelin... you have not seen him much lol
    He was in team of season for la liga btw
    What do I know ... it’s not like I followed his career since under 20 junior wc

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I told you I was was engaging in a little hyperbole. But, he's 28 and his numbers have been down two seasons in a row. If I were Sven, I'd be looking for someone else. When you look at his career, his defensive numbers, especially interceptions, during the 2015/16 season appear to have been a one off. Other than that year, his defensive numbers look very "Coquelin like."

In addition, his career passing percentage is 82%, which probably isn't good enough for a DM in a team that wants to possess the ball. This may explain why Emery apparently decided he wasn't a fit at PSG, after Emery brought him with him to PSG.

7. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emery made a number of mistakes in his first season at psg...

8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s great that you love Krychowiak, but you haven’t offered anything to support your viewpoint other than claiming to be an authority on him because you’ve followed him for so long.

There’s a reason West Brom was able to sign him in the first place, and it isn’t because they are great at getting signatures from players that elite teams want.

9. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol
    Thanks for your post
    First.. West Brom didn’t sign him
    Two... what would like for me to “offer” in support that he is a quality defensive player

As an aside.. I am not sure why we are taking about him so much as there is no chance . Arsenal sign him

10. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I offered my input on krychowiak In this thread because I thought emery made a mistake ... krychowiak was not only dealing with injuries in first year but emery used a lot of midfield variations ... also playing moura up forward was a mistake

Btw West Brom got him on loan because they agreed to pay his 110k weekly wage and krychowiak wanted regular place on before world cup .. I am sure epl was also interesting to him

11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you intend to delete one of these, or are you that worked up?

Like I said, it’s great that you love him, but give it a rest, ffs.

12. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :)

13. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely his fault; the players and the agents run that club now.

14. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely........( his first year at psg shied away from the 4-2-3-1 model at Sevilla ... where krychowiak stayed back and n’zonzi was box to box at the base) ...but psg was good learning experience for a whole host of reasons... at the end of the day, I think we got a very good coach.. and I am excited -
    I love his personal approach to speaking with players and his detailed research...

daedalus, AEAAFC96 and thebigman repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I agree

He’s a very likeable man in the wenger mould (classy and intelligent) who actually coaches players

So we essentially have not messed with the structure so much like a simeone might (even though I would love him here)

16. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I see this is as more of a high-risk/high-reward situation. I agree that his ideas are probably are intelligent and well thought-out.

The downside is that I don't know how clear it is yet for Unai and Arsenal management that their success or failure isn't going to depend on Emery's game plan as much as what he is able to impart to the players. And like Will said, there's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip, and there's more than usual here. #1, there's the language issue, and #2 there's a tendency towards overengineering. Ie, if things don't work out the way we want, there's going to be more video, more scenarios, more caveats, more complications. Whereas, at least in some circumstances we'd be better off with more clarity. We should especially bear in mind that in the months and years to come, we're going to need players who are reliable teammates at least as much top individual quality.

We can't afford to have important players (eg Ramsey, Alexis, Mustafi, etc) whose unpredictability is preventing other players from realizing _their_ best performances.

The good news is that, in principle these problems are addressable. The bad news is, it doesn't necessarily follow that they will or are in fact being addressed.

17. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a strange way, I kind of like that Arsenal are where they are. They have to cut their cloth accordingly; search for smart bargains and scout around the world to find said bargains. Would I love for the club to buy 3 £60 million+ players per season? Everybody would, but what happens when you find out out of those three, maybe one fits what your coach needs? Then you're stuck with two £60 million players on high wages that no club is going to take unless you pay the salary.

18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit of time has passed since the announcement of Emery and I have to say that I've come to really like the decision. The club seems to be operating with a little more speed and clarity on transfers and some of the players are excited about the new coach. I'm looking forward to this season more than I have in years

maskito repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listened to Emery's presser ahead of our trip to Tyne-side.

It's maybe the 3rd presser I've listened to him. With his limited English speaking skills, it's still fairly brave for him to not use a translator. It also puts a smile on my face when he struggles to put sentences together... I have great empathy for him, having never mastered a 2nd language myself.

He was talking about some controversy about not/watering the pitch ahead of Citeh, and he said (paraphrased) "I did not tell the jardener... how do you say?... the gardener... to not put water to the pitch". Funny how even his translation buddy didn't know it was "groundskeeper".

One interesting moment was when he was asked about Gazidis's possible departure to AC Milan, he answered it once very clearly ("we only speak about us, Arsenal, not other matters"). But then several minutes later a (different?) journo seemed to try to trick him into agreeing that Ivan has told him he's not leaving, and then Emery, sounding a little annoyed said "I answered this question before" and repeated his answer.

Even with a sizable defecit of English skills, he elicits a sense of command and confidence in these pressers, which is good to see.

But I look forward to his continuing grasp of English nuances... keep up the good work Unai!

AEAAFC96 repped this.