News: And our new manager is...UNAI EMERY?!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by AEAAFC96, May 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    @mebeSajid Is that chant at the bottom of your posts a real chant?

I don’t have an opinion on the potential new coach. I don’t know enough about him to judge him. I hope for the best.

flyerhawk repped this.
  2. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #77 JoCryuff98, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    This guy will bring the club down to a whole new level *smh*. He was a horrible manager in his PSG tenure. Arteta was actually compliemented by Pep himself who stated he could be a great manager. If I was Arsenal’s chief executive, I would’ve actually taken the risk and hired Arteta, like Joan Laporta did with Pep. Not all inexperienced young managers are going to fail the club’s expectation. Anyways, after reading some Gooners view here, I think Emery is not really that bad for now since world class managers aren’t really available currently in the market. I heard Sarri is probably going to leave Napoli and Ancelotti will succeed him.

3. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I am happy with Emery for a few years until Arteta is ready.

4. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Emery will able to win some major titles with Arsenal.

5. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official.

#WelcomeUnai

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pick one

7. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You have to give every manager a chance. Maybe Emery knows how to get the most out of our squad, maybe our squad will appreciate getting USB sticks full of videos to watch. Results will need to come fast, because that second season is not a given as it might have been for some other managers.

Good luck Emery. You will have my full support until you don't.

casoccerdad47, maskito and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You didn't appreciate his Cruyff turn?

I'll get me hat! :p

Fifty, daedalus, maskito and 7 others repped this.
  9. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I know. I changed my mind.

10. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #85 JoCryuff98, May 23, 2018
    I’m still skeptical though, but he can actually progress. He has a well known history of managing teams under restricted resources and doing well. Also Emery’s former teams were known for playing attractive football so that’s a great thing.

11. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you know that I am a Sevilla fan and have watched games in person when Unai was a coach there. He literally manages the game from the first whistle. The problem with that is sometimes it does not sit well with diva players. See Costa under Conte even though Conte's game plan against Spain in Euro was probably the best I have seen in my life.

So, he lost to Barcelona and Real Madrid in CL. Did Jardim beat these teams? Tadesco? How about Sir Alex losing to Barcelona? He must be an awful coach? What about Simeone losing twice....my God, he is absolute rubbish. You folks are hysterical.

If you really want to see a coaching masterclass with a team full of slightly average players going up against a perceived world beater, going down and then making a comeback watch the Liverpool versus Sevilla Europa final.

His adjustments at the half with trailing runners behind criss-crossing front two at tight angles and the third forward coming in to the back post left Liverpool in the dust and a strategy that Klopp (or his assistants) copied to such devastating effect this year.

Anyway, I am not going to go on and on on this. I am happy he is at Arsenal. I hope he can shove an boot up Ozil and Iwobi's butts and make them play. I hope he can get the best out of Mustaphi and Bellerin. Ultimately, I hope he gets 2-3 years to show us what he can do. Vamos....

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have to admit I'm content with the choice and will be fully on board come gameday. As I said before we all demanded a change so our right to gripe is highly limited based on realistic choices here. And given the choices available I think Emery will be decidedly different in his gameday management compared to Le Boss, which is something for which most of us specifically called. He's affable and seemingly works well with his other coaches and the boardroom, he genuinely wants to win and do well, and anyone thinking the 2 years at PSG serves as a typical guage of his abilities needs to really consider the extraordinary context.

Is he a "safe" choice? Obviously, but Arsenal are not so great at the moment that they were poised to take the pick of the litter from whomever they choose. What's more, given the friction among fans at the moment it was clear many folks would be unhappy regardless of who came on board. Change, even for something clearly positive, is almost always uncomfortable.

I like that he has experience on a big stage. I like that he is/wants to be tactically astute. I like that he's been brought in early in the off-season and the club can begin the transition well before the games begin to matter. I like that his history shows he can rebound from difficult spells. I like that he seems a good guy and not some a**hat or unbearable character.

I wanted a change from Wenger, not just in name but in style and what they bring to the team. It appears I'm getting that. Color me on board.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  13. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the tune of The Flintstones theme song.

mebeSajid repped this.
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    90 mins of YouTube ?

DaPrince84 and Romfordray repped this.
  15. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm about ready to do a Cruyff turn on this one myself. I'd still rather have Arteta (or a few others for that matter) but this could work. On the other hand, this is going to require a lot of organizational coordination to be successful, and I wonder if Gazidis & co were anticipating that when he was hired.

First of all, he's monolingual Spanish (and maybe Basque). We're already like the UN with simultaneous translation, but this is the worst. AFAIK Monreal and Bellerin are the only fluent Spanish speakers among the senior players at the club. And Emery grew up within 50 miles or so of France and managed PSG for two years, can't even speak French.

I don't think Gazidis, Mislinstat or either of the Kroenkes speak Spanish either, so I wonder how anybody heard this supposedly brilliant presentation.

Second, I'm willing to accept that he is a brilliant tactician. The problem isn't his ideas, it's what he's able to impart to his players. On that score I have serious doubts. And it doesn't make me feel better to know that the players are going to be watching video until they run out of popcorn.

Finally, I don't know what he plans to do about the midfield. It's pretty clear that there's not going to be much personnel turnover. We have what ought to be some good talent, but our performances last year and before that have been really poor for the level we aspire to. Again, what was in this brilliant plan that everybody has bought into? Supposedly he wants to play 4231 and also feature Ramsey. I guess that means he wants to play Ramsey as #10? That seems kind of ridiculous, but the other options don't really make sense either.

Whatever the answer is, we need to get organizational clarity behind it.

That said, if these issues are successfully resolved, this _could_ work.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wanye_stirrear repped this.
  17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emery kind of looks like Justin Trudeau

18. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI...Unai gave his first press conference in English.

19. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You listen to his press conference? He speaks English. Not fluent. Definitely needs some work but he can communicate. He also states in his PC that he knows his English isn't good enough and wants/plans to make it better.

If you read/watch videos about his tactics you see that he runs a 4-2-3-1 hybrid that presents itself in many ways like a 4-3-3. His 3 central MF are a DM, DLP & 8/10 hybrid. We need a DM badly but Xhaka fits the DLP and Ramsey fits the 8/10 hybrid.

20. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I grew up within 50 miles of Wisconsin and I don't know what the ******** a bubbler is.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #96 NorthBank, May 23, 2018
    How was it? Passable?

I won't deny that I'm REALLY going to miss Wenger's smarts, wit & fluency during the pressers.

I only hope that Emery works hard on his English, and uses it with the press and the players, even if it's not perfect. Pochettino started out with a translator but within a year or so he took the training wheels off and he was absolutely fine! Hopefully in this case we won't have to wait that long.

But even if his English is always weak, if he makes our team play well and win, I can ultimately tolerate that.

¡buena suerte Unai!

*Had to use google translate for that :p

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but IMO that won't happen until he leaves the #2 job at Citeh and becomes his own boss at some lesser team for a few years. Call me old school.

23. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar and his entourage are a bunch of self-entitled p****s. They're now about to screw over PSG after they screwed over Barca.

Next thing you know they'll screw over Real for Man City.

cantona94 and NorthBank repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and personally I've never really seen what all the fuss was about regarding Neymar. He's good, but not THAT good.

lynesjc and cantona94 repped this.
  25. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be brutally honest: In their respective peaks, CR7 or Messi would make Neymar envious.