And now where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Apr 4, 2017.

?

As The Clash so famously asked...

Poll closed Jul 4, 2017.
  1. Should I STAY?

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Or should I GO?

26 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump. Anyone wanna add their vote now?

This is just the scenario I was hoping for. Wenger rides off into the sunset with FA Cup in hand.

But the club would have to have someone in the wings for that to work.

Chances of that?

2. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a successor in sight, which makes me think Le Boss will stay.

That said, part of me wonders is whether this drawn out decision is in part due to Wenger wanting to ensure a proper successor is in place before vacating it.

fari repped this.
  3. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If Gazidis is doing his job, they should have someone lined up to take over already (TBF, if Gazidis was REALLY doing his job Wenger would have been gone a few years ago).

AEAAFC96 and Fifty repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Gazidis is allowed to do his job. Wenger allows Kroenke to make $$$ without having to pay attention.

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bob bradley

6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #81 The Jitty Slitter, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    sofort raus

7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm glad for Wenger,and feel hurt he is hurt by the criticism. Critiques are fine, but then not insulting his nationality/ethnicity, calling him a ********, or flying planes around.

Even still, this performance as glorious as it was begs the question why didn't we play like this all the time? Or at the very least most of the time (which is more realistic)? This is one of the major reasons that pisses fans off and makes Wenger Outs the way we are.

IF he is to stay, and it looks like he will, then he, his tactics, methods and preparation needs to change, as does the club structure. MAYBE Alexis will stay if we prove to him that we can challenge.

But then this is too paltry a change. I'm grateful to beat Chelsea (and grateful a certain club has finished second, is acting cocky, and hasn't won a decent trophy since 1991). But then this tactical change/new formation, and winning a record 13th FA Cup only papers over the cracks imho. We need more in the summer and next season.

I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in this supposed board meeting. Even if it's decided that he'll stay, then i'm sure there will be some frank decisions and no holes-barred talk. Kroenke has fired a manager before for non-performance, though I suspect he won't do it again. Hopefully we get some change in the structure of the club at the least.

tl;dr Wenger OUT. But i'm happy for him, the players and the club, and we need change. One FA Cup win against a top Chelsea team who didnt turn up cannot mask our deficiencies.

cantona94 repped this.
  8. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No holes barred?? :eek:

darcgun, banco, danielh and 4 others repped this.
  9. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it'll be a very hands on meeting.

Fifty repped this.
  10. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    just speculation. who knows if the board or kroenke are truly not happy with him? hence why i would kill to be at that meeting, or even have a glimpse at the minutes.

11. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no holds barred. Otherwise your mind might go to orifices.

mebeSajid repped this.
  12. The English Hacker

Aug 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From his comments about wanting to stay and how the board don't need a presentation to convince them because all they need to do is watch the FA Cup Final, there's no way he's"riding off into the sunset". At least not as someone who understands why he should move on. He would see it as a sacking which will absolutely affect his legacy.

13. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not going anywhere. I told you so.

darcgun repped this.
  14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have mixed feelings about this: on one hand, we did win a trophy. On the other, this was our worst league season in a long time, and after a summer in which we spent 100 million quid. Managers do get fired for that kind of showing, and it happens all the time.

Fifty, thebigman, AEAAFC96 and 2 others repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There sadly a fair amount of truth to what you say.

I just wrote a post in another thread comparing the lifelong fans to drug addicts. And it seems to me that Wenger is also addicted the club. And addicted to his relationship with the club, something not far from a benevolent dictator.

This addiction may be as big a factor as any, in his decision to extend, which is being fairly widely assumed and reported.

Sigh.

16. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kroenke doesn't know squat about how football works. In one way, it's a good thing; Wenger re-signing is the "bad thing".

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "board" doesn't exist. There is one vote on any issue and that's Kroenke's. He owns more than enough of the club to do whatever he wants whenever he wants. No one on the board has any leverage to do anything. So get the idea of the "board" out of your head. They're meaningless.

AEAAFC96 and mebeSajid repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard this said quite a bit. Is there any legitimate documented proof of this? The board is flacid, and Kroenke calls all the shots?

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kroenke owns 70% of the club. He calls the shots by definition.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you assuming that every important decision that's made at the Board level comes down to a straight vote of shareholders. Is that really correct? Does Usmanov really get to vote his weighted shares on all these key decisions?

darcgun repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The Russian has no votes and no board seats

22. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i get the suspcision that this entire hold-up was Stan saying "look, i'm busy, don't say shit until I come for the FA Cup final". The way Wenger said he would tell us in March/April, and now it's the end of the season means something was going on behind the scenes.

It should be an opportunity for Wenger to prove the haters wrong. Though apparently it's been said that Alexis is keener to stay if Wenger does.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to explain? I don't profess to be an expert on Arsenal's board/decision/voting structure.

In particular, I'd like to validate what @mebeSajid seems to be saying, that Kroenke gets to decide every key decision by himself, just because he's the majority shareholder.

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And the way Kroenke and Wenger discussed it, and the board "rubber-stamped it" is telling too. Kroenke has our club by the short and curlies, and seems obvious to me that he prevented Wenger from telling the media anything. I don't think Gazidis will leave either, who says there was a power struggle? I doubt there was. It won't surprise me if Wenger gets top four again next season, wins Europa League and retains the FA Cup, and finishes ten points above Spurs. It would be the perfect f-you to all the haters, and the vindication the board needs. It may seem unlikely now, but then who said Spurs would finish second, Leicester would win the league, or City wouldn't blitz the league under Pep by 20 points.

25. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Usmanov owns shares, but has no board presence. those who do have decision-making ability are those in his trusted circle, namely Wenger, Gazidis, his son, Law, etc.