And in more player news we have a new defender

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DC Braveheart, Aug 9, 2018.

1. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Tall deck chair.

PSURoss and DC Braveheart repped this.
  3. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I don't know why we're acquiring depth on defense, other than the fact that he was essentially free, when we need quality. I'd guess the FO is publicly admitting what I said they were doing in March when the signing were all of this ilk, which was mailing in a second successive season.

As a STH, tha'ts a big fat f--- you.

4. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team needs depth too. Mora and Fisher are the only two healthy outside backs on the roster. There are a lot of mid-week games coming up and the team is going to need to rotate players to get three points out of all those home games.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Also depends on what we mean by 'depth.' Having seen him a few times, I'd think we are expecting him to play non-trivial minutes, probably at the expense of Fisher.

fatbastard and asitis repped this.
  6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odoi-Atsem is back but yes, you need a backup LB on the roster.

The move makes sense but is depressing when you realize it is the only defensive addition.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they're willing to give Opare and Robinson another shot at the starting job. Maybe use Durkin as a back-up CB. It's a shame that Brillant hasn't seem to have worked out.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    This. I agree we need depth, but we also and more importantly need quality. Let the existing, not necessarily cutting it guys be the depth. Brillat was best depth at NYC. Same thing with Fisher in Seattle. We didn't get much of an upgrade on quality. This is a guy (or most of the rest of them) that I don't see here in 2 years, assuming the team actually gets better.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe when he's not asked to play every minute of every game any more, he won't feel as pressured to conserve his energy and minimize muscle strain, and he can go all out and be a much better defender when he is asked to contribute.
    Maybe ;)

asitis repped this.
  10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Is Brillant injured, or just benched in favor of Opare?

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Last time Mora had to miss a game, we had to play Fisher there which was sub optimal. Fisher is barely adequate on the right, but really poor on the left. I don't mind bringing in someone like Vytas to provide depth and competition in that area.

Speaking of left backs, what's the deal with Kemp?

Winoman repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's just benched since Opare has won the job back after his injury. But since MLS is playing fantasy soccer and no longer requires teams to have an updated injury list ... who knows if/when either is/was injured.

Winoman repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    He's a better outside defender than who we currently have on the active roster. So, he's an upgrade by default.

I'd still like to experiment with Canouse as an outside defender.

14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Also, there's probably more good outside defenders who on the bench than good central defenders.

15. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So he plays left back which means he battles Mora for playing time. By all accounts, he's more of an attacking wingback than a fullback. I'm glad we're upgrading on the back line, but this still keeps Fisher on the field unless we play a left footed guy on the right. As bad as Fisher is, I'm OK with that. Of course, others have pointed out that we'll be playing 2 games a week for a while so it looks like everyone will get some PT.

Why Olsen hasn't tried:
    Harkes at RB
    Durkin at CB
    is beyond me. I don't get the love affair with Fisher. The guy is lights-out fast, but poor with the ball at his feet and a sketchy defender at best. He's also terrible in the air.

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for fun, try this:

Rooney
    Stieber Asad Acosta Arriola

Canouse Moreno/Durkin

Vytas Birnbaum Opare/Brillant

Hamid/Ousted

Both Arriola and Stieber defend well, whle Asad too often jogs back. So let Arriola and Stieber provide defensive depth on the wings when needed, and it gets both of them on the pitch together. Moreno/Durkin will play more defensively, while Canouse can go both ways. In any case, I think we can get by with three on the back line with this lineup, while having all of our attacking players on the pitch together.

17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I like trying Durkin at CB. He got a lot of time there at the U20 WC.

I think he had another surgery a while back.

18. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ben does not rate Durkin higher than Moreno he definitely needs to get him minutes at CB.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    With a slow back three like that you need wingbacks who run up and down the field defending and attacking. Arriola fits the bill, but we only have one of those until DeLeon gets healthy. Those back three will have Hamid undergoing treatment for PTSD in no time. A back three really requires some athletic defenders as the two outside guys. Opare is too stiff and Brilliant ain't athletic. I don't really know anything about Vytas. All 3 defenders would also need to be strong in the air because any 3 man back line is going to give up a lot of crosses. My guess is your three are pretty good. Vytas is 6'2" and we know Brilliant and Birnbaum are pretty good in the air.

I don't think we have the horses for a 3 man back line though -- unless you're playing with wingbacks. Your config has appears to have wingers.

20. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Kemp I read is done for the year somewhere.

Winoman repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Labrum or something like that. You are correct that he is done for this year and, unfortunately for him, maybe done as an active player. He will have been out injured for a year and half if he attempts a return next year.

Winoman repped this.