Post-match: Analysis: USA vs Argentina, March 23 2011

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Yeah, it's no big deal.

2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RoboBob prefers the Bohr model, and if he must be dragged into all that radical 1920's stuff he'll stick with neat little Heisenberg matrices, thank you.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet that's a really tough thing to say when you know it can't happen..

4. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by 'rough patch' you mean no quality european team rating him worthy of playing time, then sure, he's been in a 'rough patch' for some time now.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been following his club career all that closely, but hasn't he had like four appearances for Bursapor out of four games that he has been healthy for? And I believe he started around a dozen games for Villareal, one of the best clubs in the world right now. That's compared to an 18 year old with 3 games in MLS to his name. Buddle who is playing for the 14th place team in Bundesliga 2 and has roughly the same number of games for them as Jozy did for Villareal. I think 10. Inglostadt are 3 points! away from relegation to the 3rd division. Herculez Gomez who is playing on one of the worst teams in Mexico right now, if I remember correctly, two points from being the worst in the Clausura. Robbie Findley who was an MLS started and signed with a Championship team but hasn't played because he was injured. What's next, maybe Casey Conor?

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Altidore has been a starter in Turkey(UEFA#10)---a quality league.

Imo at this point I'd like to see him play in midfield.

7. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pointing out the weaknesses in the resumes of our other strikers doesn't change the fact the neither villareal nor hull wanted jozy after sampling his play.

and the questions about his approach to training haven't helped either.

i admit i haven't been following his turkey adventures,

so maybe there are bright spots in the making there,

but the only thing i'm optimistic about is given his age he still has a good bit of time to make something significant out of his career.

tho at this point, unfortunately, the clock is beginning to tick.

new brighter prospects on the horizon, and the dreaded eddie johnson analogies beginning to get drawn ..

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey I'm not calling him the American Ronaldo or anything. I guess I was confusing your criticism of his club career with the calls for his replacement by Buddle or someone else. Needless to say, we don't have much to replace him with right now. If I misunderstood your post, my bad. Although I don't think you can say Hull didn't want him. Hull were being relegated and relegation clubs have to dump players not add on salaries or make new signings. Villareal would have wanted to at least recoup their investment of $10 million for him and there is now way Hull would pay that.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder when Teal B. will get a crack at FIRST team play. I think he is another one we should continue to monitor. physically he is a bigger than Agudelo. He also scored last weekend. I didn't realized the kid is flat out fast with a nice touch.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in June. He should certainly at least get a look considering our options.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Another American forward who couldn't play alone, up top: Brian McBride.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen him play midfield and it wasn't impressive. But we ceratinly need options other than Dempsey and Donovan, so who knows.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Depends on the supporting players. Altidore did decently enough 4411/4231 in the Cup. Imo though he is not a good enough goal scorer to play up top right now. He has yet to score in Turkey and has only a handful of goals in La Liga and the Prem.

14. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotcha. i hopped in late on this thread and didn't have the earlier context. definitely don't think buddle or any of the others should be ahead of jozy on the depth chart.

and fair point about hull not being able to buy jozy, given their relegation they didn't have the cash to do it. however, i do recall their manager benching jozy at the end of the year (or was it a red card, or both?) and their statements knocking jozy's practice efforts.

but why wouldn't any other team in england want him? villareal was asking $8m - not too exorbitant, right? a 20yr old world cup striker, great size/potential, and there wasn't a peep of interest from another outfit? and so he ends up at a turkey backwater club?

to me lots of warning signs all of over his european career.

i'm not writing him off by any means. and he should remain our #1 starter for the time being. but i'm much more hopefully about the prospects of bunbury/agudelo these days ....

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mascherano is not really playing in Barcelona, Napoleon.

He's there to warm the bench. In part because he doesn't fit their style of play, in part because Busquets is a real Catalan.

He should leave ASAP, but he's still there because the pay for warming that bench is good.

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    He's had 31 appearances. Not full games, but he's playing.

Barcelona need a world class dm backup because of their style of play, so he fits into that position perfectly.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, playing 20 minutes every other week is not enough, it's little wonder that he's not scored in the last couple of years.

19. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited about these guys too, but Bunbury is roughly the same age as Altidore (about 3 months younger) and has yet to even come close to producing a season like Altidore did as a 17-year-old. I think Bunbury will likely become a very useful role player for the USMNT, but I don't see much evidence to suggest he will be a real difference maker.

Agudelo, on the other hand, looks to have the potential to be a true star, but also has yet to even match the 17-year-old Altidore's accomplishments.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Seconded on both counts.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you fail to noticed something...when Altidore started in MLS the league wasn't as strong as it is today, if fact, same thing could said for the NATS, that is why people pencil in Gooch as great CB not realizing how much he now gets outplayed.

I think Teal B. will be a very good player, when Teal and Agudelo started for the NATS Teal was regarded as the better of the two. Then he got hurt and Agudelo just kept on raising. Teal played in last weekend game with a soft cast to protect his dislocated elbow and he still managed to out run and score with a shot 15 yards from goal. "Real Deal Teal" will one day be one of our starting forwards, you heard it here first ;)

22. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was not aware this was the case or the consensus.

23. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't.

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the TV commentator saying it, I guess the assumption was because Teal did play more games than Agudero prior to them going to S.A.

25. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to realize that this isn't a case of Altidore or Aguedelo. We benefit when we have more quiality guys on the pitch together. If you look back at the hilights of Jozy's goals, they mostly came of great combination plays from the guys around him. Put him alone up top, and he's ineffective. If you look at the other forwards we brought to the WC, none of them are great combination guys.

The thing about Davies (and in limited showing, Aguedelo as well) is that he was great combination guy (the same is true of Ching, but at a lower skill level). So as a team, the USMNT should REALLY benefit from having two guys like Jozy, Juan, and (pre injury) Davies up front together.

In other words... let's quit arguing over whether Juan or Jozy is better, and revel in the fact that the combination of the two could make us exponentially better!!