An Opportunity to Get a Pro Team in Milwaukee?

Discussion in 'Milwaukee' started by -DgS-, Feb 20, 2012.

1. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    In my desire to eventually see another outdoor pro soccer team in Milwaukee, I have been going over several scenarios. And while the MLS may not be on the horizon right now, perhaps an NASL or USL Pro team may be.

My latest scenario involves the planned MSOE downtown soccer field. One of the key problems the Rampage and Wave United had in drawing fans was the remoteness of their facilities, first on the far south side in Franklin and then on the far north side at Uihlein Park. A downtown facility would rectify that problem. It is convenient for people living downtown and on the east side, and is easiliy accessible for everyone else from I-43. An article on BizTimes.com posted Monday indicates there are four new apartment complexes in the immediate area that total 566 units, with another 200 units in four buildings planned for the area. One of the developers described the applicants for his building as "young people that don't have a lot of money yet, but are upwardly mobile. People who are just out of school, working service industry jobs. You're going to see a lot of those apartments filled with a fairly young demographic." So there could be a lot of young people living in the immediate area who don't have the money to go to a Brewer's game every week, but could likely afford tickets for the minor league soccer team. Sounds like a perfect demographic.

Now, there is a vacant adjacent lot to the south that could be incorporated into the development to maximize the site for a pro team. First, the planned MSOE facility does not include seats, but rather standing room for up to 1,000 spectators. The school did indicate, though, that there is the possibility of adding seats. I don't know how many seats are possible; the minimum required for a minor league pro team is, what, 5,000 seats? The stands could be built on the adjacent lot. Second, the MSOE structure theoretcially includes plans for locker rooms and other such team facilities. I know the pro league has minimum requirements along these lines as well, and hopefully what is planned is more or less in line with them. If not, the adjacent lot could be used to accomodate any required additions (such as under the stands). Third, the current plan includes a small retail space for a restaurant or coffee shop. By incorporating the adjacent lot into the plan, perhaps more retail space could be added, for perhaps a soccer-themed bar or soccer pro shop, to generate additional revenue. There are a few specialized soccer shops in Milwaukee, such as Stefan's Soccer Supply, Only Sport Soccer and Soccer World, but so far none are located in the downtown/east side area. Finally, the adjacent lot could include some additional parking that would be needed to accommodate the number of fans. There is also a small triangular lot on the river and additional lots in the area available for parking. So while the City initially had reservations about a soccer field in the Park East, having a pro team regularly use the field would greatly benefit the existing bars and restaurants on Water Street, increase the number of hotel stays at the Aloft and other adjacent hotels, and spur additional such development in the Park East and adjacent areas, providing increased tax revenue to the City.

Ideally, I would like to see the Milwaukee Wave, with their strong and firmly established organization, sponsors and loyal fans, transition to the outdoor game. They could partner with MSOE and use their field, which would greatly increase utilization of the site, provide the school with additional revenue by leasing the field to the Wave, and reduce the facility cost for the Wave (leasing the MSOE field would surely be cheaper than leasing the Bradley Center). As a side note, I would also like to see the Wave partner with the Milwaukee Bavarians, who operate the local amateur NPSL team (some of the MSOE players may even be on the NPSL team). Coordinating efforts between the city's two major soccer teams is a no-brainer. In addition to providing some economies of scale in terms of marketing and maybe even some back office functions, it would increase the visibility and attendance for both clubs. And partnering a pro league team with an organization that runs youth programs and an amateur league may even provide a pipeline of talent for the pro team, much like what they have with European teams.

Clearly there are a lot of details I haven't covered, but if the main reason the pro teams failed was poor attendance I would think using an easily accessible downtown field literally surrounded by hundreds of young residents would solve that problem. So, what do you think? Is this possible?

2. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's possible. I'd love for a NASL or MLS team to come to Milwaukee and they'd probably do quite well here if they were downtown and not out in the boonies.

I'd prefer if they resurrected the Rampage though, instead of moving the Wave outside...

3. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OR a team like Milwaukee Bavarians (NPSL) could try what Flash are doing here in San Diego, and shooting for "promotion" to a pro league.

4. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I think the Bavarians have tentative plans to move up to the PDL in a couple of years. I love going to their games. If we got a lot more people to come out it could help the effort! After the PDL who knows. Maybe they could continue to move up.

ceezmad repped this.
  5. Caleb

Caleb New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    There is a Facebook page set-up with the intent of starting to get together some supporters for a Milwaukee team. We are interested in following what Philadelphia and more recently Indianapolis have done to secure a team for their area. You can find us at Bring Professional Soccer to Milwaukee on Facebook.
    In the coming weeks it would be nice to get some people together to really get this thing going. There seems to be a lot of good ideas and it would be nice to get people in one room(or Facebook page) to really discuss. I have a few people interested in meeting already. Look to the Facebook page for meeting dates and updates.

It's time to get this going.

6. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Just a reminder, our first meeting is Sunday, Feb. 16 at 3:30 at the Highbury Pub in Bay View. We've gotten more than 250 likes so far on our Facebook page, so the momentum is building. Come down and help us lay the foundation for a club of our own!

7. SailorJo

SailorJo Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayern Munich just announced they're gonna set up shop in NYC. Time to send a Milwaukee rep over with a case of Pabst to persuade them that Bavarian Milwaukee should be in the MLS.

8. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    What, not Schlitz? Seriously, it could happen, but it might take a bit more than a foreign club wanting to build an MLS team here. And it looks like the next franchise slots are already taken, but we can start small like others have and grow from there. We came close to getting an MLS team before so it's not impossible. And Bayern Milwaukee does have a nice ring to it!

9. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    The official Milwaukee soccer supporter's sign up page is live! Go to www.milwaukeeprosoccer.com to add your name to the list, tell us what league you'd prefer, and show your support for a team of our own! We're looking to get 2,000 people by the end of the year and we've gotten great momentum already through our Facebook page. Help us take the next step toward actually getting a team!

10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, i think there was really nothing wrong with the location at Uihlein Park. Sure it wasn't downtown but it was a 15 minute drive from the Marquette exchange. I recall watching my old club team play the Wave United in a USOC in 2003 i think and it was very well attended, even more so a few weeks later when the Chicago Fire came to visit.

I think the big problem was that when the Wave United were playing, even MLS was barely drawing anyone to games. Times a re a little different now and i think pro soccer has more of a chance to make it. Milwaukee has a good soccer tradition so the potential fans are out there. I think its a really good market for NASL to look at. Ideally a downtown park would be best, but i can see it working even at Uihlein Park.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great if some wealthy investor was willing to dump a bunch of money into owning and operating the Bavarians. They already have a nice club house and could have a good training pitch location. Their youth camps and teams are very well respected and they are perhaps the regions most successful club team.

Would love to see my old Bavarians in NASL or MLS.

12. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There wasn't, attendance tanked when they moved into their own facility in the middle of nowhere however.

13. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    A downtown facility would be best. Too bad the MSOE field was under built. And I think soccer has grown immensely in popularity over the past dozen years since the wave united folded, so a pro team has a great chance here. What about Hart Park? There is a beautiful new stadium that seats 5,000 with artificial turf. It's centrally located in the metro area and relatively easy to get to.

14. trwi7

trwi7 New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
  15. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    While we may not get an MLS team anytime soon, a new pro team IS coming to Milwaukee! The Milwaukee Torrent is holding a supporters meeting on Wednesday March 25 at 8:30 pm at the In Bounds Training Center in Glendale. More info is available in their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/287652161358792/

Let's see how many people can make it! It'd be great if we had a good showing to show our support for the team. And don't forget to Like their page!

16. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
    For those of you who haven't kept up to date on how the Milwaukee Tor rent is shaping up, check it out and like the page. The roster is coming together and games are being scheduled. The supporters group is gearing up too! Cool stuff!

https://m.facebook.com/milwaukeetorrent

17. -DgS-

-DgS- Member

Jul 22, 2006
  18. pieper1850

pieper1850 Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire