An Early Call on the Central Defense Pairing in 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because JK feels that way doesn't make it so. I wouldn't have Parke in my top 10.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  2. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I'm sticking with the general consensus of pages 1-10 of this thread and calling Opara and Ream our 2014 CB's :laugh:.

Interesting to note, I don't think Besler was even mentioned until maybe late last year?

3. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    First time I mentioned Besler was Oct 2011. Behind Ream and Boca.

Mr Martin and SpencerNY repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a guessing game. Opara got injured and was on the trainer's table for the better part of 2 years. Who can account for that? But really, with younger defenders, it's a crapshoot who will step up.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Besler had a good 2011 but he had a dominant 2012. Cameron was the dish of the day in 2011. By August of 2012 Besler was called up to the USMNT and continually brought in to the point he is today. ( he is also right around the proper age to take that next step as a CB)

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought Besler hit the Gonzo, John, Ream level in 2011. I would have called him up for the late summer games, I thought he had a better season than Ream and was behind only Gonzo and John, although the type of CB he is means that he'd probably work better with one of them than those two big guys playing together.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He certainly stepped up his game and probably deserved to be called up in the 2012camp cupcake but he wasnt.

I think Geoff Cameron was the bigger option but in 2012 Besler went so high and played so well he made the August Mexico team and then camp cupcake in 2013. I think he was one of the players Jurgen was very pleased with after camp cupcake and this is why he showed up for mexico and just keeps playing well.

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Ream has a good season he could still make the WC roster. Gonzalez has actually made more mistakes in his caps for the national than Ream...

Cameron is a midfielder in my eyes. He hasn't played CB for a while. He really isn't a great natural RB either.

It will be interesting to see what happens for him at the club level this season.

9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tim Ream is not going to be on the US MNT anytime soon.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Explain.

11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He isnt performing very well and he would need to elevate his play. Right now he has a ways to go.

12. Conspire

Conspire New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then again, Klinsmann has said this of Ream in the past:

“Tim needs these minutes on this level in order to learn,” Klinsmann said. "He is one of the very promising center-backs in this country. That’s why he is on this squad. He deserves to be on this squad and he has an extreme will to learn. He’s a constant asker who wants to know how to get to the next level."

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mmm, he wants to learn, he asks lots of questions...I think I figured out what his problem is...he has no memory!

EruditeHobo repped this.
  14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Glad to see that I am not the only one who thought that.

I have been looking for threads singling out Gonzalez like they did Ream, but he must have something in the international game that I have been missing.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, clean sheets.

In all seriousness, minus Honduras, Omar has had excellent games, with 1-2 brainfarts. But in the other 85 minutes he has been solid. Tim Ream looked like a deer in headlights for the entire 90 pretty much. Don't remember him looking confident...oh...ever. Whereas Omar had the Mexico game where he did concentrate from minute 1 to the end of the game.

Omar needs to clean up the mental errors for sure to retain a starting spot, but to compare him to Tim Ream is harsh.

I hope he can get rid of the errors. We need him to. Cause the backup options aren't pretty right now.

EruditeHobo and Wessoman repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Well, none of them were called for the Gold Cup...

22SteveD repped this.
  17. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what a "natural" RB is, but I've seen him show well at both RB and LB for Stoke against credible Premier League opponents. Yes, it's true he looked lost and confused against Belgium when the USMNT played them, but to me it is hardly conclusive. The possibilities for his poor showing are endless, but possibly include: Lack of understanding of his role in the USMNT scheme, nervousness at the importance of the match, or his GF called him a twerp in bed the previous night. My point is that one poor showing should not outweigh evidence to the contrary. It might be telling that JK and staff have chosen an obviously inferior athlete at that position (IE, in training he also looked lost) or it might be another example of JK's desire to promote the athlete with the most effort over the player with the most athleticism. I don't know, but I am not ready to tag him with the "He really isn't a great RB" appellation yet.

18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its totally fair to give Onyewu and Bocanegra a final shot at proving they need to be in the discussion for qualifiers. If they can't hang in the Gold Cup, we can write them off for good.

Namdynamo and IndividualEleven repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Fatigue as he both and Stoke cratered a bit the final third of the season.

20. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    If neither JAB, Gonzalez, John or the like work out, I wouldn't be surprised if Bocanegra claims a spot again. To me, he was at his best in 2011 and if the Rangers fallout hadn't occurred he might still be in the eleven.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The 2011 mentions of Besler in this thread were:

EruditeHobo repped this.
  22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yep, and probably worth mentioning that a search of the MLS Flavors of the Week thread from 2011 (those tend to contain the names of every US eligible player in the league) only pulls up two substantive mentions of Besler over 56 pages:

and

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    At the same time things could have been very different: Ream could have been at Arsenal, John at Blackburn, and Gonzalez at Nuremberg.

24. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nailed it. :cool:

IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be said that Gonzalez had a bit of a softer introduction to the National team..Ream got thrown to the wolves against Spain. And you are correct, the thing is, while Ream is every bit as talented as Gonzo is, he looks like a deer in headlights and lacks the composure Gonzo has. Gonzo needs to get stronger, faster, and be able to read the game better. Ream has less work to do in those departments but he lacks composure, and I think JK may put a premium on that.

Either way, I think I can see Ream make the Bosnia friendly lineup. It would be a better place for him to get minutes.

If Ream