An American Coaching Overseas

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by yankee_rob, Jun 15, 2011.

1. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/index.php?o...coaching-overseas&catid=101:op-eds&Itemid=302

Arkansas-born coach Tim Lewis is back in New Zealand where he has pursued most of his rugby coaching.

He writes for us an update on how he has been doing. – AG

I attended Peter Thorburn’s Elite USA World Cup coaching camp in San Diego back in 2007 and was asked this question by several of the American coaches there “ that if I had been all around the world for the past 20 years playing and coaching rugby, then why had they never heard of me?”

American-born rugby coach Tim Lewis, is now coaching at Napier in New Zealand
    My guess is that living and coaching on opposites sides of the globe would play a big part in flying under the radar of American coaches. Their questioning my caliber was justifiable and I will endeavor to shed some light on my rugby coaching history, thus so far, in this update.

In 2006 I had just finished IRANZ elite coaching course and a season coaching in Nelson, New Zealand while completing a coaching internship with the professional Tasman Makos. This allowed me the opportunity to observe and take part in trainings with DOR Todd Blackadder (now the Canterbury Crusaders Super 15 coach) Dennis Brown (NZ U21 coach) and Bevan Caldwell.

Since then I have coached Tauranaga Sports Club, Reporoa RFC and King Country’s provincial team, all teams New Zealand’s North Island. I spent a season down in Tucuman, Argentina as a coaching advisor and last year I coached Santa Monica as well as assisting the University of Arkansas team. I currently coach in New Zealand with the Napier Pirates Premier club along with doing an unofficial internship with this regions rep team, the Hawkes Bay Magpies. This is the second time I have been fortunate enough to be involved with a fully professional New Zealand team.

Since 2007 I have enjoyed four very successful and productive seasons. I started 2008 coaching Tauranga Sports in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand with Errol Brain (former NZ Māori All Black Captain and current Head coach of the Portuguese national team). I gained a great amount of knowledge from working alongside Errol, particularly man management skills, and we worked well together as a coaching team. Our boys were a dedicated and talented pool of players and we finished the season by winning the Premier Bay Wide Championship.

In 2009 I took up a coaching position in Reporoa, New Zealand with Steve Axtens (currently Head Coach for King Country). The boys had a great season which was capped off by winning promotions from the 3rd division to 1st division in the Bay of Plenty. This same season I was named as one of two coaches for the King Country Provincial team.

At the end of 2009 season I travelled to Tucuman, Argentina where I meet up with some old rugby contacts established from my days coaching in Park City, Utah. I was appointed as their club coaching advisor and spent the preseason butchering Spanish while implementing new coaching strategies, skill, drills and tactics. The Argentina rugby community is very passionate about their rugby. Life at the club was full of cherished memories and building everlasting friendships.

I had the opportunity to return home to America in 2010 and coach Santa Monica RFC. This was an interesting experience because it allowed me to experience first-hand the obstacles that American rugby faces. I have to say the athleticism of the American players and their attitude and willingness to work was outstanding. Santa Monica was successful in making it into the final eight of the D1 National Championship, losing out to none other than Belmont Shore.

Near the end of 2010 I returned to my home town, Fayetteville Arkansas for a bit of a break and some of mum’s home cooking. I ended up helping coach the University of Arkansas team win the Heart of America Division 2 Collegiate Championship. University Rugby is a bright light in American Rugby for me. Not only is the potential growth rate exponential but the blueprint, facilities and influx of young athletes are all accessible. In the future I see every university being a potential rugby academy.

It is now nearing the middle of the 2011 season and I am coaching the Napier Pirates club in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. At this stage in the competition, with one game left to play in the first round for the Nash Cup, we are currently tied for first place. This year is the Napier Pirates 150th Jubilee so it is a big year for the club with celebrations planned in June.

The level in play between what is available in the USA and what I experience in NZ six days a week is incredible and is what has kept me coming back year after year to learn from the best. To give an example from my current club here in Napier, I have three young players that have played for NZ Universities which is the same team that toured the USA, going undefeated against San Francisco Golden Gate’s Super League Team and USA Under 20s twice. In reality, the NZ Universities team is just a throw-together team of young club players. At the club level here, I have coached six players that have gone on to play for Super 15 franchises and one player that represents New Zealand in 7s, plus numerous players that have gone on to the professional level of representing their province.

My everyday involvement in the NZ rugby scene is a constant learning experience. Due to my coaching abroad, I realize my absence may have hindered my progress within the USA ranks up to this point. However, hunting the best pathway to becoming the most knowledgeable coach I can be has allowed for tremendous growth. At the end of the day I hope my sacrifice will benefit the players and teams I’m involved with in the future. I don’t believe I would have gained the knowledge or expertise of being a successful rugby coach without continually challenging myself in different environments among the world’s best rugby cultures. I think in teaching circles they refer to it as “total immersion”.

Along with coaching Napier Pirates I’ve also been accepted and encouraged to attend the Hawkes Bay Magpies sessions and games. The Magpies are a first division fully professional ITM Cup team. I am learning first hand from Peter Russell (NZ Coach of the year 2009 and former Highlanders Super 14’s coach) along with Tom Coventry (the newly appointed forwards coach for Waikato Chief’s Super 15 Team). The rugby environment down here is over flowing with talent and knowledge which has been hugely beneficial towards my development as a coach.

My ultimate goal is to make a successful career out of coaching. I am at a point where I am confident I have the knowledge, skills and track record to succeed at higher levels. I feel it’s just a matter of time until I am on the radar of the right organization. Until then I’ll keep my head down.

2. saladin747

saladin747 Member

May 21, 2011
    Fairport
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well done for him:) I hope he has a stellar career at NZ and gives more credibility to state side coaches!

3. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed! Maybe he should be brought into the fold. At the very least he could use his contacts to help young up and coming American coaches gain valuable experience overseas.

4. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I can definately see that happening.......the age old adage of "well if I haven't heard of this guy, then it has to be BS". The other coaches either felt threatened or thought this guy was a liar.

Keep up the good work.

5. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately a lot of Americans live in a bubble and don't pay attention to anything that goes on outside our borders. Rugby is an international game so coaches at that level should have at least heard of a fellow American coaching in the best rugby country in the world. Look at who he has coached...he is no boy scout.

What this guy is doing epitomizes what rugby is all about.....experiencing other cultures through the greatest team sport in the world.

One last thought.....maybe Tim Lewis could use his coaching contacts to get other up and coming coaches and players involved with New Zealand Rugby clubs. This would be an invaluable service to American Rugby.