Amon amongst boys: Jonathan at Lynbgy BK (Denmark)Nordsjælland (Denmark)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 18, 2017.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has its share of choppy games. The youth mistakes were exposed in this game but they have lots of upsides. It is what it is, nothing wrong with that.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #102 Sandon Mibut, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Agree. But be's not slight. And like Messi, he knows how to use his low center of gravity to his advantage. (To be clear, I am NOT comparing him to Messi in skill-set or talent or anything other than being a short soccer player with a low center of gravity.)

Disagree. Seen a couple of other performances where he has stretched his legs and run past guys. Now, maybe those guys were slow. But pace didn't seem to be something he was lacking. Further, he is quick and explosive. Changes direction really well and goes from slow to near full speed very quickly. He also appears to have a bunch of little jukes and head fakes that get defenders going the wrong way and allow him to get an angle on them. Seen that a couple times already.

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well ... the fact that they won the game anyway, is also proof of how talented this young FCN team really is ... some nice goals and assists there ...

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the quick and explosiveness is evident. I also like that he is willing to go 1v1 with defenders it shows that he is a sure of himself even at this young age. I hope USSF invites him to the January camp, I want to see more of him.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, talent they have, no question. They can move up in the standing once they start to click in midfield. What I saw that needs improvement is they need to move the ball quicker, they end up making the right pass but they are taking 2-3 touches to see next pass, once they can do it on the first pass, it will open up spaces or 1v1 situations.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #106 Ceres, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    The guy he so easilly ran past was Peter Ankersen, who played for Denmark in both the WC play-off games against Ireland . and he is not slow but quite attacking minded ...
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/peter...ler/146889/hauptwettbewerb/WMQ/verein_id/3436

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #107 Ceres, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    [FCN] Had to hide their dark jewel, people were not allowed to see how good he really was

FC Nordsjællands only 18-yo winger Jonathan Amon made the Danish NT right back Peter Ankersen dizzy and made FCN-coach Kasper Hjulmand very happy at the bench.

- "This is what i love to see. A "street player" who challenges when he has the ball. no matter who is in front of him, and I do not think he knows the opponents."

- "He just drives on as it was in the schoolyard. He can beat a man in a phone booth and I just love seeing the playful, immediate and somewhat innocent way it's done," Hjulmand said after the 3-1 victory at Parken stadium.

American Amon has been at the club for some years now but was kept well hidden. because he came from a non-EU country, FCN could not sign a contract with him before he reached 18 in late spring [this year].

Until then he was at the club as an amateur and could only be involved at training and reserve team games.

"We've kep him hidden a little, because he had to turn 18 before we could do anything about him. He played a reserve game in Lyngby and was absolutely outstanding."

- "It meant that we had to hide him away again We did not let him play too much so people would not see him. So we have spent a couple of years training him, and he has also been four months at the academy in Ghana," said Kasper Hjulmand.

Amon came to FC Nordsjælland by chance. He had been invited to the Copenhagen Sports School by a mate, and here FCN assistant Søren Krogh, who was then working at the school and as U19 coach in FCN, saw the fast as lightning dribbler..

- "He called Jan Laursen (Sports Manager of the Academy, Ed. ) five minutes after and said 'hello, we just need to do something here'."

"And then we've hid him away for a while. which i think was a good idea," said Kasper Hjulmand.

It's only this season that Amon has been able to play real games and after 4 goals in a 10-0 victory over Randers FC in the U19 league and some hard months of training, Hjulmand thought he was ready for the Superliga..

In the last few lgames he has played from start and with his extreme speed has terrorized the opponents.

- "He's insanely fast. We are talking about extreme international speed, and then he can change direction. He has a bit of the same as [former FCN talent] Emre Mor. There are so very few players that make me this excited, but he does."

"I'll be happy when I see such a kind. He is insanely [good]. Of course, 'Johnny' still lack a lot, but I see a super potential, which I'm looking forward to working on, said Hjulmand. after the 3-1 victory over a FC Copenhagen team in crisis.

Jonathan Amon, whose father is from Nigeria, has a contract with FC Nordsjælland until 2020, but could very well be sold much before that ...

https://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/fodbo...-folk-skulle-ikke-se-hvor-god-han-var/6943143

8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.tipsbladet.dk/nyhed/sup...gaens-nye-komet-stortrives-i-fc-nordsjaelland
    Translated:

Interview: Superligaen's new comet is made big in FC Nordsjælland

Superligaen's new star inhabits FC Nordsjælland and Sunday he faced off with FC Copenhagen. Tipsbladet.dk has met Jonathan Amon.

The Super League has got a new star.

Jonathan Amon played Sunday's fourth Superliga match for FC Nordsjælland when he rounded FC Copenhagen national team player Peter Ankersen in the 3-1 win in Telia Parken. Last week, the 18-year-old American scored his first goal when Horsens was slaughtered 6-0.

Jonathan Amon has some obvious qualities through his dribbles and his antithesis. And then he has a funny story. FCN coach Kasper Hjulmand has thus told how the club had to save Amon away for a couple of months in Ghana while he was under 18, and without contract because FC Nordsjælland was afraid others would discover the enormous talent.

Now the American is 18, has signed a contract and FC Nordsjælland can safely showcase their new comet.

However, when you meet Jonathan Amon, there is not much star dust to trace over him. He is a quiet and little shy boy who just has to get used to the media having begun to be interested in him.

"I think it's gone well. It has been a big change, but it has been positive and I am very pleased. It's something different than playing at the U19 team, it all goes faster, but I enjoy it, says Jonathan Amon to tipsbladet.dk and finds he believes he can make a difference to FCN:

"I can at least contribute some speed. I think I have plenty of it. Hopefully I can make a difference in the offensive with my qualities.

As mentioned, Jonathan Amon was saved away in Ghana for a few months, but he came to Denmark from the United States a couple of years ago to go to the Copenhagen Sports School, so he got used to a life away from the family and with full focus on the football.

"I have had a good time in Denmark. People have been incredibly sweet and helpful, and it applies both on and off the track. It means a lot that I feel so welcome. It's as if the people in FC Nordsjælland can see when, as a young foreign player, they feel a little lonely or have a hard time. Then you talk a little about one's family or something else and they are good at asking. It gives a little sense of being at home, says Amon, adding:

"I can easily see what people think when they say that FC Nordsjælland is one of the best clubs - maybe in the world - for young players. Here are skilled coaches, and you play the same system from U14 to Superliga. This is a huge advantage when you get back into the system.

The young player takes things as they come and he is aware that Godsway Donyoh is likely to want his place when he returns from his long injury break.

"I'm going to get as much play time as possible and just do my best when I get the chance. Hopefully I can contribute to many wins. We are going to finish the top and I think we have the squad to do that, "said Amon.

When talking to Jonathan Amon, he appears quietly - almost self-extinguishing - and at least with his legs planted firmly on the ground.

- I'm very calm. I play soccer every single day and that makes me most fond of the world. So there is no need to stress or be depressed. I am very happy here in FC Nordsjælland and do what I love, says the American.

The past highlight of Jonathan Amon was the goal against AC Horsens.

"It was a great feeling to score my first goal. I've never experienced anything like that and I was so happy when I saw that the ball went into goal. Now it's about going on - it's all possible if I play only some good matches, it sounds from the offensive player.

When you think of FC Nordsjælland and young talents, you can not help thinking about all the players who have been sold for big millions. Emre Mor stands as the clearest example, but players like Marcus Ingvartsen, Stanislav Lobotka and Jores Okore have FCN also earned very good money to develop.

Jonathan Amon looks like anything but just one of the future names in the pearl row.

- I focus only on now and here. I have just become part of the first team, so I think came on the next game and the next opportunity to show me and help the team. So, let's see what the future brings, says Jonathan Amon.

The United States player has a contract with FC Nordsjælland until summer 2020.

9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "they play the same system from u14 to superliga". This is very important, IMHO. When young transition to higher levels, it is not so much learning as adapting to speed of play and familiarity with your teammates. Best of luck to this guy.

TxEx, Gacm32, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Amos can also play for Ghana? Just making sure we USSF should jump on this kid before he feels he is not wanted.

11. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    It says he played for an academy in Ghana. His father's from Nigeria.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The founder of the 'Right to Dream Academy' in Ghana, Tom Vernon, also became the owner and Chairman of FCN back in december 2015 ... an obvious choice of investment, because FCN have the youngest top-flight squad in all of Western Europe ...

It also mean that FCN and Right to Dream Academy players visit eachother in Denmark and in Ghana and field mixed FCN/RtD teams in big youth tournaments abroad :

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think I love his coach. It's so nice to see a coach say he has amazing talent but I can make him better and I will do so. It should be obvious but sometimes it seems American coaches don't stake that ownership in their craft and ability to hone raw talent into a better overall product by working on a deficiency or two.

The same can be said for Miazga and Vitesse. I know a lot of people don't like how Chelsea do things but they had the money to buy Matt, the understanding that he needed to improve his passing and tactical game, sent him to Vitesse where they coaches and Matt himself have worked tirelessly to improve his weaknesses. Thus obviously Matt is a much better player today than had he stayed in MLS.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is true for all defenders. MLS is not the ideal place for a defender to develop because defensive systems are poor, and attacking play isn't particularly skilled/complex either. If Omar Gonzalez hadn't gotten his leg wrecked upon his move to Nurnberg and had managed to land permanently in Europe, he'd have been a much better player. Instead, he played in MLS for another 4 seasons and never really developed.

Tom Collingsworth and Ceres repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    so the ghana trip was about getting around age requirements?

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    He could have played for their reserve team in the Superliga reserve league, in Danish Cup games and he could also have played for them in the U-19 League ... but they found it to be way too risky, considering the potential they could see in him ...

You have to understand that Danish reserve and youth league teams are heavily scouted by foreign clubs ... not least the FCN youth ... so they had to hide him somewhere, if they were to be sure to sign a professional contract with him... so they send him all the way to their Academy in Ghana for 4 month ...

sakibomb523, Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wanted to hide him is how I understand the comments about it.

dougtee and Ceres repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he would have continued to make his occasional blunders and ended been sent back.

19. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid has an old, kindly soul.

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  21. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dark Jewel!!!!!

Ah Europe.

22. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    So it's not legal for him to sign a pro contract with them until he's 18, but he can legally train with them as an amateur for 2+ years for free, while they hide him so no other teams will find him? Doesn't that go against at least the spirit of the rule about youth transfers?

onefineesq, TxEx and Ironbound repped this.
  23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Written, not published

24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas