Amon amongst boys: Jonathan at Lynbgy BK (Denmark)Nordsjælland (Denmark)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 18, 2017.

1. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Not after he is injured. I have this opinion before it happened. From his USMNT debut, I had this feeling and of course you can disagree. I'm glad you can prove me wrong a few years later.

2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Looks like Amon is playing in a reserve game today. FCN is up 6-0, I believe Amon has two assists (according to the FCN Twitter).

ChuckMe92, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Highlights from the reserve game. Competition looked to be horrible, but, Amon is all over the highlights. Hit the post, and had a couple of hockey assists, the nifty back heel for the last goal was nice.

Perhaps it’s every touchable from @ShaftBrewer or @zlebmada?

4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the full game out there?

5. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I’m mobile so having trouble linking. It’s on their Facebook page

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FCK were fielding 6 of their 16 to 18-yo Youth Academy players ... though also the Uruguayan WC-18 right back Guillermo Varela and Danish NT winger Viktor Fischer, but they have both been injured since the winter break ...

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  8. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Unused in a 3-3 draw. His first team playing time has evaporated

Tom Collingsworth and edcrocker repped this.
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #959 bshredder, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Amon's upside remains high but a look at why his minutes have evaporated should start with the comments Nordsjaelland head coach Kasper Hjulmand made when Amon first started impressing for the first team.

Hjulmand said Amon was raw and even used the term he was a "street player" which "isn't common in Denmark." He also said Amon "lacks a lot" but that his development is something that "he has to get right" because his upside his "huge."

The problem right now is that Amon is starting to get figured out by other teams. He took opponents by surprise because he was so different. But the element of surprise is now gone

Amon needs to add more to his game. His combo play and tactical awareness has to improve. He also needs to play much better defense. He can't just rely on his really good 1v1 play or simple little passes down the wing.

Development is never a straight line up. Players hit walls and have to work their way through them (and not all succeed either). This is what the coach was talking about.

My concern is that he was deemed so raw when he first came up to the first team despite having been with Nordsjaelland's youth system since he was 16. He wasn't fresh off a move from the DA or something when Hjulmand made those comments.

But anyway, Amon still has an upside but finding the next level is going to take some work.

10. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that being said, you hope he can make the U.S. U-20 team for the World Cup. He could do well there - even though I am not sure he'd start with a healthy Taitague and Llanez on the wings.

Gacm32, LouisZ, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Seems like people are gratuitously piling on during a down moment of unclear genesis.

Yes, guys like Taitague or Llanez are nice prospects. Maybe in some ways seemingly better or more polished. Let me know when either has accomplished what Amon has professionally (or even internationally) so far.

frankburgers repped this.
  12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think I am piling on

I said he has an upside but has a lot to figure out, which I also said was common for young players.

As for who Ramos is going to start at the U-20 World Cup, it doesn't help Amon that he played with the U-20 for just one camp which was over a year ago. Llanez has grown with the team over the course of a whole U-20 cycle and was part of the CONCACAF Championship. Taitague and Tab and a long relationship and Taitague knows Tab's system and Tab has always rated Taitague highly for years (and Taitague was lights out at a recent camp).

It's not an all-star team, it's a team. In that regard, Llanez and Taitague are just more in-synch with the team at that moment and Tab feels very comfortable with both.

Winoman and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful that Amon would have achieved any first team playing time if he was in the Bundesliga, like those players.

DHC1 repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It will depend greatly on whether he's playing somewhere, not just rotting on a bench. Even if it's with the reserves in those horrible pub games.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He played eight minutes in the end. Now this is a guy I don't get why got benched. When he was starting back in Sept/Oct, he was doing fine, scoring and assisting. Then he had a bad game, got benched, had another shot starting, didn't do too well, and after that bench.

Granted, I missed the Aalborg and Odense games where he was supposedly poor, but the guy was scoring more than their current alternatives. 2 in the league, 5 total. The guy starting in his place has to score a single league goal yet, and only has one goal total.

And it's not like Rasmussen is better than him in-game either. I just don't get it.

btlove repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty much since he came into that usmnt camp and didn't really nail down a spot in the pool - been downhill since - noticed it happens a lot to usmnt callups that don't get "in"...

hopefully he isn't discouraged by that experience.....

18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad ... the 22 player lineup can be misleading.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Subbed on in the 73rd, goal came from Olsen in the 84th, 1-0 win.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yeesh...not even in the bench today. What the heck is going on here?

24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    premature coronation itt.

pretty disappointing regression by this player.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I hate when this happens but it happens.