Amon amongst boys: Jonathan at Lynbgy BK (Denmark)Nordsjælland (Denmark)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 18, 2017.

1. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Norwegian is extremely easy. English is also very close to Dutch and Frisian, and Afrikaans is a toned-down relative of Dutch. So, if I had to guess, I’d say Norwegian or Afrikaans.

Glad to see Amon still looking dangerous. Seems like a nice guy, too.

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    They postulate that Dutch is easier...

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #928 Ceres, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Norwegian and Danish is practically the same language because Norway was part of a union (a kind of "UK" of Denmark) under Danish King and rule between 1397 to 1814. Then Norway entered into a personal union with Sweden under Swedish king and rule from 1814 to 1905, but that was no success and when this union was dissolved, the Norwegian language was modernized, so that written Norwegian is practically the same as spoken Norwegian, which makes it easier to read and learn but to a Dane written Norwegian look like "dyslectic" Danish, with all the unspoken letters missing.

Btw, after the union was dissolved in 1905, a Norwegian delegation approached Prince Carl of Denmark (the younger brother of the Danish Crown Prince Christian X ) with a proposal of making him their King, but Carl insisted that he would only accept the crown if the Norwegian people expressed their will for monarchy by referendum and if the parliament then elected him king. and so he got elected by the Norwegian voters by a nearly 79% majority in favor of monarchy instead of a republic... and in respect for his new country Carl changed his name to Haakon, a name that formerly had been used by Norwegian kings more than 500 years earlier, before they were ruled from Denmark... so a King can also be elected by the people, just as a President, but just not only for a few years time.

4. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I’ve actually studied all 3 (Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian), and they’re all very similar and easy for an English speaker to learn to read. Danish is far harder to pronounce for us, though. That might be why my fellow Charlestonian, Amon, doesn’t speak it much in interviews. :p

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    This off topic discussion started about written languages' similarity to english (i.e. not spoken or a combination). I'm not sure anyone distinguishes between written and spoken, but the foreign service institute ranks languages on the hours they take to learn for an english speaker...

https://www.state.gov/m/fsi/sls/c78549.htm

Winoman repped this.
  6. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    Interesting. I hate to say I get my historical knowledge from films, but I do remember watching Jean Simmons and Marlon Brando in a film where she marries a french Marshal, Bernadotte, who then gets appointed King of Sweden by Bonaparte. Since you mentioned 1814 on, I couldn't help but think it had to have been the same person, though alot depends upon the historical accuracy of the film!

As I recall in the film, he would only accept the Swedish Kingship if he were proclaimed by the people of Sweden. I wonder if that's true, or whether they just adopted the story of Prince Carl, since it seems he accepted only if proclaimed by the people. Anyhow, it was interesting to read your short synopsis of recent Scandinavian history and how the languages are similar and different.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte who later became Charles XIV of Sweden and also known as Carl the 3rd Johan ... but obviously not the same Carl as the Danish prince, so i guess the film makers got that story about being elected by the people mixed up :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XIV_John_of_Sweden#Offer_of_the_Swedish_throne

KenC repped this.
  8. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts 2nd half of friendly:

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Season started it seems

14. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched. He overdribbled in the box twice, had a chance to put in a cross but got deflected, and was wide open on a two-on-one but his teammate dribbled it away. Pretty poor performance I'd say.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, there is a good chance he goes with the U20?

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

Tom Collingsworth, edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  19. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    FCN winning 3-0 late in the game and have made all 3 subs...none of which were Amon. Yeeesh. He was seemingly playing well in preseason, anyone know if FCN picked up new players that are keeping Amon on the bench?

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    sounds like he’s hit a wall?

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No longer the favored boy of the coach it seems. He used to be the talk of every press conference.

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I'm affraid that Amon is often struck by injuries that set him back ... as for the coaching team then head coach Kasper Hjulmand is going to leave the club in the summer transfer window ... he has not yet signed a contract with another club, but he has refused to extend his contract with FCN ... I believe he has been offered a contract by Brøndby, but he is demanding €1 million a year + a clause that will make him able to go abroad as soon as he get a better offer.

23. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    IMO, I think Amon is overrated in US players pool.

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    For whatever reason it seems like small speedy wingers are oft injured. Too bad.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a genius observation after he’s been out for months. Someone pay this man for his insight.