Amon amongst boys: Jonathan at Lynbgy BK (Denmark)Nordsjælland (Denmark)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 18, 2017.

1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    In Denmark it's part of the TV deal "package" made between the clubs and media in question ... so the access is exclusively restricted to the media who own the TV rights and so it's "reality TV" under strict control and this was probably kind of staged by the media and FCN, but obviously still a surprise moment for Amon.

punintended_13 and Winoman repped this.
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I was walking into the Houston Dynamo locker room their first game in 2006 when a female reporter came running out crying, “Oh Sweet Jesus, they’re all naked!” Been in locker rooms all over for lots of sports and MLS players take the prize for exhibitionism.

Gorky and punintended_13 repped this.
  3. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good profile on Jonathan from his local paper. I've posted some tidbits below but I'd encourage you guys to read the whole thing.

Jonathan began training with the Battery when he was 15, going up against men twice his age. Anhaeuser tried to sign him to an “academy” contract that would allow Jonathan to train full-time with the club and even play in matches.

Major League Soccer’s Orlando City FC even made a run at signing Jonathan to their own academy team, but Joseph Sr. had bigger plans for his youngest son.

At the academy, FC Nordsjaelland feared Jonathan would get noticed by a bigger clubs with deeper pockets before it could sign him. As an American, he couldn’t sign a professional contract until he turned 18.

So they hid him away, sending him to a soccer camp in Ghana for a month and not letting him play in many games with their academy teams. Two days after turning 18, he signed with Nordsjaelland.

Bigger clubs from Europe, especially in Germany, have already started to scout Jonathan, whose contract with Nordsjaelland runs through 2022.

“Jonathan is a huge Manchester United fan, so his dream would be to play for them,” Joseph Sr. said.

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_06c24db8-c734-11e8-bc24-3b5c7003dab8.html

Sombrerito, TJFtbl, edcrocker and 10 others repped this.
  4. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He’s from my hometown (Charleston). I’ll be at a local soccer pub tonight, hoping to watch him play.

To my knowledge, he’s the first born and raised South Carolinian (and Charlestonian) to make the MNT. I’m sure there was someone ages ago, but before my time.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm. moving to Surfside. We gotta get some games down here. The Battery got a big enough stadium to host a game?

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  6. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I know they’ve hosted rec league games and stuff. Total capacity is somewhere in the 4,000 range.

Amon came through their academy, at least for a few years.

7. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After tonight's showing, that may be all we draw.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Any idea why he didn't make the 18? Slight injury during training?

9. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    It was far more important for Dave to see Picault run around doing nothing for 30 minutes rather than give Amon a look

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #785 bshredder, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    My guess is that it was because Amon's first (ever) practice with the U.S. team wasn't until Tuesday.

deejay, superdave, TJFtbl and 7 others repped this.
  11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #786 kruck, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    If you don't show sufficient outrage over the next-hot-thing not playing immediately you're not one of the cool kids.

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that might ordinarily be a problem if the whole team didnt always look like they've never practiced together.

comoesa repped this.
  13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Please don't let him sign with the Evil Empire.

PalmettoSpur repped this.
  14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    when was Ben Sweat's? he actually got on the field and confirmed my view that he will ever be up to the task. Why did Reggie Cannon get to sit on the bench?

15. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Amon has talent. But he’s playing in a league worse than mls, let’s cool the jets some.

He needs some refinement on the ball.

16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    He missed the pass to Weah on the break by a smidge, yes, but he was also sadly one of the few out there able to create any danger.

We’re not exactly brimming with attacking wings at the moment, so I think Amon deserves to continue getting calls

Winoman repped this.
  17. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    This. Who do we have at winger that's a better option (Especially on the ball) than Amon right now? Weah, probably, and then? Paul Arriola?

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um Pulisic.

superdave repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's just your opinion, and there is a special thread for that.

TxEx, eliwood, TMBMiles and 1 other person repped this.
  20. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I didn't think he needed to be named tbh. To rephrase, we need at least 4 wingers on this roster. If Green is going to play in the middle for us, who else are we calling in on the wing right now?

21. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I thought Amon did decently. He had one or two giveaways, but he also played a few balls that launched breaks, barely missed Weah for a clear chance on goal, and drew the foul that led to the goal.

I really wish Sarachan had left him in. Green added nothing, and Amon was finally calming down and really getting into the game.

zlebmada, TMBMiles and TJFtbl repped this.
  22. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    He was also one of the few players that won a ball back or two the whole night. We ended up moving Delgado to the wing because of it where his relatively average athleticism gets exposed, and immediately got way slower defensively and on the counter in a game where they were already playing keep-away. I really didn't think the move did Delgado or the team any favors.

Winoman, Sandon Mibut and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  23. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A lot of the subs last night seemed questionable, at best.

Anyway, what’s the easiest way to watch Amon at Nordsjælland? I’ll be happy if he moves to the BL, not because it’s a better environment, but because he’ll be easier to follow!

24. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I believe ESPN+ has picked up the Superliga in their effort to corner the market on lesser leagues.

PalmettoSpur and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think all of the people down on Amon lack perspective.

This is a teenager who has played a limited amount of minutes in his entire career to this point - i think ~600 or so accoridng to transfermarket - that's nothing.

He's never played for the USMNT before...never played at that level before and still looked okay and did some things out there despite obviously not being used to the level of play and speed...

what did people expect? for him to just come out like gangbusters in his first ever game at this level??

i'm high on Amon...but I didnt expect him to just light it up immediately.....

if he was 27 and played like that, it would be different...but he's not....he showed a lot of encouraging signs....

is he a sure-fire, can't miss prospect at this stage? no. but he is one to watch for sure and battling for a place in any 23 at the moment, imo.

I'd be shocked if he doesnt improve significantly in the future from where he is at right now....

Midas Mulligan, TxEx, KenC and 8 others repped this.