'Amerikkalaiset' at Finlandia 2011 (Wicks, Tabe...)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by krr internationalist, Apr 13, 2011.

1. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Hair in American Goalkeeping? Surely you jest! :D

2. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The local newspaper are reporting that Giuseppe Funicella have arrived for a trial with newly promoted Åtvidabergs FF in the swedish league.

The club commented:
    "We've seen video of him and took the chance to try him out. He's right footed but he has also played as left back. But his first position is right back. I don't know if he will take part in our first preseason game. We'll see first how he looks this week."

4. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzwhCi16SoY"]Josh Wicks headbutts opponent player - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunaly things got heated for Wicks in a game against FC Haka and he headbutted one of their subs who ran onto the pitch after his team had scored. The sub supposedly did this because Wicks grabbed ahold of his teammate who went to fetch the ball from the net. The newspapers are claiming that the FC Haka player broke his nose. They also write that it's still uncertain what disciplinary action might follow for Wicks.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'd be surprised if Funicello was done playing -- he's pretty good. But maybe this academy is a good opportunity.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The guy who got his nose broken has now reported the incident to the police. They however comment that nothing is likely to come from the investigation since Wicks has now left the country. Overall a very spectacular exit from the club :D

10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he was one step ahead of the law. I hope he gets his anger issues straightened out. His (stomping) outburst at DCU hurt himself, as well as the team.

11. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Update on Funicello. He was playing with IFK Mariehamn but had a falling out with the coach last year. An interview with a Finnish newspaper gives the details.....http://www.alandstidningen.ax/article.con?id=28027&iPage=3

After leaving Mariehamn he went to VPS another Finnish team. Now Wiki says he is back in Iceland with former club Thor Akureyri for the 2012 season

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  13. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article on the transfer posted in the Funicello in Iceland thread several months ago. I'm using my phone so not posting the link here.

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pat Phelan has signed with a Finnish top division team (VPS ? maybe) and will be headed there in the next few days.

15. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minor correction. Pat Phelan will be playing for SJK football club.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  17. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Translate:

Keeney leave EIF
    It was after cupmatchen against Töölön Taisto on Saturday Keeney announced that he would leave the team. On Sunday, then held EIF's football section board meeting where it was approved Keeneys application.
    - Mike's decision was probably a surprise for us, says football section president Stefan Haglund.
    - This was one väldligt tough decision to take, and I want to emphasize that I absolutely do not have anything against either the club or the people here. I have enjoyed very good here, but I felt that I could not do my work in a way that would be appropriate both for the team and for myself, says Mike Keeney.
    American Mike Keeney trained EIF with great success in last year's Division 2, but now only a few months before the first kickoff he chooses to resign. The reason he states primarily be coordination problems.
    - What finally got my patience to break definitely was that Lucas Mondino played for IFK Mariehamn in the League Cup but I learned something about it in advance, says Keeney.
    TURN ASIDE
    Mondino could therefore not participate in Saturday's cup match against Töölön Taisto the EIF with great effort won 1-0.
    - When I saw the match, it was not the EIF team I had hoped for and it also felt like I can not influence things in a way I had hoped. Then it is better that I step aside, he says.

21. 10percentjuice

Apr 4, 2006
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.