Americans, what is your second team?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HomokHarcos, Aug 6, 2015.

1. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Italy when the won wc2006 and fell in love with their national team and Milan haha. So my list
    1. Italy
    2. Holland
    3. Japan

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only have one club team and one international team

3. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose Poland. My roots are Polish, so if they're in the Euros I'll cheer for them, but I never go out of my way to watch them. I'm USA through and through.

4. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Ohh...it's close, but this is a third for me. I would say England, they won me over during Euro 96, and WC1998.

5. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Ohh.. that's unacceptable, very unAmerican! JK, if my parents' homeland was good at soccer I would root for them too (probably not as much as the US but extremely close too), I think it's hard for people that aren't closely linked immigrant roots to understand that it is possible to love two countries, especially when it comes to sports.

owian repped this.
  6. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I did! Became a big Feyenoord fan in those days. Larssen was so good for so long, it's kind of a shame it took til he was with Rangers to be really appreciated. And, then, only briefly.

The other players I remember from that team (excuse my spelling) were Ed De Gooey (pronounced "De Hoy"), who ended up playing keeper for a bit. Jurgen? Kiprich, a big Hungarian enforcer. And Reggie Blinka, a speedy winger type.

Those were fun days. F-noord were on tv seemingly every week. And, 1st regular exposure to high level club soccer.

Larrsen will always be one of my favorite players.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, used to be a big Holland fan, but DeJong's thuggary, Robben's diving definitely cooled me on them.

Those Bergkamp era teams were great to watch, though. Kluivert, Davids, Bergie, the DeBoer's. And, when Overmars was healthy, he was a terror.

Marko72, Mr Martin and ttrevett repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew plenty had to but were just trying to act like snobs. Like, "only the EPL was good enough for me."

Larsson was a dynamo. He did look like a girl, however.

De Goey seemed like a superhero. He regularly made full stretch, diving saves. The top keepers in that league at the time were bosses - De Goey, Van Der Sar, and Waterreus.

I didn't really remember future standouts on lesser teams like Ruud Van Nistelrooy. You pretty much had to be on the top 3 - Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord - to stand out. Twente and Vitesse had their moments. But it was even more of a top heavy league than it is now.

Almost all of Ajax's roster resonated with me - Litmanen, Blind, Bergkamp, Overmars, the De Boers, Kanu, Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf, George, Reiziger, Rijkaard, Bogarde, Van Der Sar, etc. Incredible talent and cohesion. One of the best squads all-time.

tyguy repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Ya, Clarence and Frank, when I was listing the great Holland players from that era, forgot them. Reiziger, didn't mention, cause he kinda ok.

Ol' Winston Bogarde ..... your shaking my synapse's. I thought about Kanu today when it was mentioned that Portsmouth is now in L2. Who was George?

Jari Litmanen was another guy that was just fantastic. Ya, that Ajax team is probably my all-time favorite when you compile the list of players. But, I pulled for F-noord, because I'm a underdog guy.

It was amazing to me that it took so long for VdS to be picked up by a big team.

10. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. USA
    2. Costa Rica - Loved the country after visiting, and have rooted for their national team ever since
    3. Jamaica - I've rooted for the country (and its national team) for years...not sure why, but I'm just a fan.
    4. Sweden - I have Swedish heritage
    If I had to round out a top-5, I suppose I would pick Canada. But really, the aforementioned 4 teams are the only ones I proactively root for. And while I don't actively follow any of them, I do also like to see the Caribbean minnows (Barbados, Antigua & Barbuda, Grenada, etc.) do well.

11. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany. I was a kid visiting family in Germany in 1974. Watched many Cup games on TV, can still remember the singing late into the night on small local streets when they won, and I memorized the Germany roster. Beckenbauer was my favorite player and I was thrilled when he joined the Cosmos and I could go and watch him live.

So, USA is first now. But Germany taught me to love the game and are my #2 today.

nobody repped this.
  12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Indeed they were fun. Arsenal was really fun club to watch in the early Arsene Wenger days with Bergkamp and Overmars as well. I had an Overmars Arsenal jersey from the late 90s; I wish I could find it.

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I almost bought an Overmars Holland jersey on e-bay. Should have.

And, I agree about Arsenal. All those guys + Henry.

14. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usa soccer, is my most favorite team in all of sports

because my parents are from Greece and have family there, i also follow and root for them
    they are currently at a super low point
    lost to the Faroe Islands

i get some pleasure when Turkey, FYROM and Mexico lose

for whatever reason, i have enjoyed watching Scotland the last few years

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Reiziger as a really athletic back who could aid the attack too. He ended up moving on to Barca and featured for them for a long time, so you know he could play. In fact much of that Ajax wonder team ended up re-forming Barcas, i.e.: Kluivert, the De Boers, Reiziger, and Bogarde. Plus you had a few more Dutchmen on there. And Rivaldo was my favorite player with the slickness and long distance bicycle kicks. So I loved that era of Barca football.

Some of the players ended up moving on to Arsenal. I don't remember why, because they played attractive football, but I had an aversion to them still. Maybe it's because I'm often inclined to root for the underdog too, and they were the bosses of the Premier League at that point. At least Ajax could be underdogs in European football in terms of resources, even though they overcame at the time. Or it could have been the pompous Frenchmen.

16. USAsports6

USAsports6 Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Oct 17, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A close second for me is Hungary. Although I have a number of other teams I tend to root for but not really go out of my way to watch; Ireland, Scotland, Philippines, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Haiti, Suriname, Colombia, Cameroon.

Jozsef Kiprich

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    ya, he was a role player on a dutch team 20 years ago. Glad I came up with the J.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me:

1. USA
    2. Brazil
    3. Portugal (big fan of Eusebio)
    4. Holland (down some with Robben's diving)
    5. Uruguay (down some with Suarez's biting, was a huge Forlan fan)

I also root heavily for CONCACAF teams in World Cup years.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    serie a was my first exposure to club football, decided roma would be my team cause i liked their colors (this is @92, 93) so i guess im italy friendly.

but im a us supporter. still follow roma, but my support follows us internationals regardless of club.

21. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I'm Canadian, but I've been a USMNT fan since the early 90s when they were the only regionally and culturally relevant national side and I spend a decent chunk of time there every year to visit family. The diehards wave their finger against supporting the US but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable being a part of something than missing out every year.

My actual country of origin is so irrelevant in terms of football (mid 100s FIFA rankings, though Canada comes close) that it's not worth mentioning so the US is all I have. I don't judge, but unlike club teams I don't understanding cheering for countries you have zero peripheral connections with​

22. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After USA, I've been in connection with some Dutch relatives overseas, so I will go with Nederland as no 2. And the German in me will have me rooting for them as no 3. Brazil 2014 was a fun time. Not only USA getting out of the group ahead of Portugal, but Nederland/Germany combined outscored Spain/Brazil/Portugal combined 19-2 in head to head matches.

23. Crowzfan

Crowzfan New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half my family is from Argentina. I lived there for several years and my wife is from there, so I follow them almost as much as I follow the Nats. On the occasions where the US & Argentina face each other I definitely root for the US.

24. GunnerDawg

GunnerDawg Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA over everybody. As a kid I rooted for Italy cause I liked Roberto Baggio. I've rooted for holland because they were the best footballing side that hadn't won a World Cup but I've backed off some since there team is so unlikable now. Now I pretty much root for whoever has the most Arsenal players, so right now England, France, Germany. I've got some polish heritage so I root for them and whoever is playing Mexico.

25. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the USA its these guys: