American Xolos: Tijuana vs U.A.N.L. 10/25(R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Pl@ymaker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corona, Arriola and Castillo start for Tijuana, with Garza and Herculez on the bench. Torres is also on the bench for Tigres respectively.

Game starts at 10:30 ET and is on ESPN Deportes, Aztecta America and later on ESPN3

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tijuana get a corner kick after only 2 minutes of play.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, most of the game has played in Tigres half. Arriola has been seeing a lot of the ball.

4. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Arriola creates all sorts of problems for opposing defenses. He's always threatening to get in behind the defense without the ball and when he's in possession, he has little trouble bursting past his man and sending in a great cross.

The more I see of this kid, the more I think he can contribute to the senior team right now. He reminds me a lot of Pedro from Barça.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo has been fantastic. Arriola is explosive (but a bit raw and naive)... he'll be a good one. Corona has been invisible. I like his game, but he needs to impose himself more.

Mario Balotelli and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree

7. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The frustrating thing with Corona is that he's too "negative" with the ball. He rarely makes assertive, probing passes that test the defense. He's a decent guy to have around if you need to keep possession in the midfield but he hasn't shown the aggressiveness with Xolos that we saw in the Gold Cup.

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alonso Hernandez is eventually gonna jump Corona in the depth chart.

10. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    #10 Tejas, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    In addition to the appreciating the US prospect heavy squad, I have to say that Tijuana might have the greatest team logo I have seen in awhile. :)

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  11. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he a striker?

I have been disappointed with the news that Corona hasn't really been shining lately. His ascension from an unknown to Liga MX starter made me thinking that he'd keep getting better. Sounds like he's hit a wall recently.

12. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    First time seeing Arriola. It's clear that he is definitely viewed as a threat by Tigres. He's had some great touches and control and then a few off things as well. I think I have been most impressed by the times he has split a double team or quickly avoided the double.

Castillo does look really good in the attack, but I've seen a few truly ole style defensive jobs as well. His mindset just doesn't seem all that committed to defensive discipline. In the right lineup though he can be a real weapon on the flank.

Corona has looked lost.

13. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Just a random thought, but I wonder what the obstacles might be to pulling a full-blown Liga MX club like Tijuana into MLS might be? Don't want to derail the thread, but Tijuana in MLS would be a lot more interersting than McChivas.

14. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been playing as a Second Striker, Play Maker and as a Right Mid. His passing and shooting is much better than Corona's.

Sup Bro repped this.
  15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose Torres comes on in the 59 th min for Tigres.

16. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tons of yanks out there tonite!

17. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Herc for Corona.

18. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Tijuana plays LA in the Concacaf Champions League next. That should be an interesting match up.

19. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds similar to Castillo with the national team. He'll do some great things going forward then lose the ball when he's too far forward to help the defense recover. I like him as a backup option but the thought of him playing against high level opponents makes me nervous.

20. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola off in the 76th. I thought he looked ok, because increasingly quiet as the game went on. Still looks young, very raw and lacking necessary tactical soccer IQ.

21. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Yep. I used to think Beasley at LB was the epitome of that style of play, but Castillo takes it up a notch. Beasley has the inner drive to will his way to a solid defensive game, Castillo appears to be content that his defensive weaknesses will be overcome by the rest of his game.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-0 FT Sorry, I was tired and took a nap.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just because it wasn't mentioned in this thread........................Uvaldo Luna on Tigres' bench last night is also US-eligible.

He represented Mexico at the U20 World Cup, but prior to that did attend US U20 camps. He remains US-eligible.

Garza of course is US cap-tied I believe.

So that's 7 guys last night that are either USMNT players or USMNT-eligible.

Then of course there was Tijuana's goalkeeper, Saucedo. His mother is American, so at one point he was a possibility for US teams.