American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

@Harambe Alvinegro

2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Tyrod Taylor isnt better than Kirk already?

Harambe Alvinegro repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    $71 m guaranteed?

RIP

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry @Mengão86. If you were going to PAY Smith like that, you might as well have paid Cousins man.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't mind the contract so much as I do the trade. Kendall Fuller was the dagger in the trade.

This deal is a bargain compared to what Kirk will command. Kirk's deal will average close to $30 million a year with over $90 million guaranteed. He will get more than Stafford. That isn't worth it.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's still a ton of money for an average QB and Kirk is better than Smith. We'll see what Kirk gets and we'll evaluate from there.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Smith does nothing for a team with championship aspirations IMO.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kirk being better than Smith is debatable. I tend to agree, but it's a marginal difference IMO. Not enough to the point where you are going to pay him 25-30 million extra in guarantees and $7 million/year or more overall. Case Keenum will probably end up making a little less than what we gave Alex.

I see the Jets and Browns backing up the Brinks truck for Kirk. We will see how much Kirk values winning. He probably should go to Denver based on what they have, but they will still have to give him a contract that's bigger than Stafford's. The Broncos would have about a 2 year window to win with what they have before Kirk's cap number restricts them from retaining and signing guys. Elway hasn't necessarily done a good job in the draft either. The Jets and the Browns have more cap space and will throw Kirk upwards of $30 mil/year I'd imagine. Good riddance.

MatthausSammer and benni... repped this.
  10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We don't have championship aspirations in the short term and we would be hindered from building our team with Kirk's cap number. Kirk can't lead a team to a championship without weapons around him. Alex will keep us from being downright pathetic while allowing us to build a team and eventually draft our QB of the future.

MatthausSammer and benni... repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hm-- if the only standard were winning now, I'd definitely trade Cousins for Smith even up...

Cousins will still be playing years and maybe many years after Smith is retired, so if the standard were total wins from today, that's different.

benni... repped this.
  12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Meanwhile, Grant Paulsen has been losing his mind on Twitter for the past 16 hours. He's basically talking to himself and then when he thinks he makes a good point, he puts up a Twitter poll.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's kind of fascinating that teammates seemed to care more about losing Fuller than losing Kirk. One is a nickel corner and one is a starting QB. Has any teammate ever gone to bat for Kirk that you can remember, Mengao?

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I wonder if that is a fair question in that:

1. The players are likely to have a better sense than we that Smith is at the moment better than Cousins, and really only care that he'll be better next year, not
    who'll last longer. After all most players' contracts will expire before the needle swings in Cousins' direction, and anyone can be Shaziered at any moment. From the payer's perspective its got to be a win now league, I think..

2. The players are going to have a very different and probably more accurate take than we do of the relative values of a slot corner and a qb, and of the perils of a 2 for 1 trade...

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Vernon Davis and Chris Thompson.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So the two guys who benefit from Kirk playing scared sometimes?

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Basically. Those are the guys I’ve seen say positive things about Kirk, but no one has come out since the trade to say anything about him. A bunch of the defense mentioned they will miss Fuller and disagree with letting him go.

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was pleasantly surprised by the Eagles winning today, and I'm very happy for their fans, who, if nothing else, are crazy passionate. It's great to see a new franchise win the SB, and I prefer that over the same franchises over and over again. A number of thoughts:

1) I'm not sure what Belichick was thinking benching Butler, for no discernable reason, and playing Rowe full-time. That was stupid, and too clever by half.

2) Brady is still the GOAT, but Nick Foles outduelled him today. I couldn't see the Eagles winning at all, primarily because I couldn't see a situation where Brady gets beat by Foles. Foles was a baller today; not afraid to hang in the pocket, ready to go deep at a moment's notice, making all kinds of accurate throws and reads. IMO, it wouldn't be the worst idea for a loser in the QB carousel to kick the tires on a trade for him, because Foles showed me a lot over this run. Pederson gave him progressively more and more responsibility and trust and credit to him, he didn't back down from the moment. I doubted him all the way through and he proved me wrong over and over again.

3) Pederson had a clinic on how much difference it makes to have a HC that's aggressive, bold, innovative, and won't shrivel in the moment. He was not afraid to make game-changing decisions like going for it on 4th down, going for two, and trusting Foles to air it out. I think most NFL HCs don't even sniff this win if they were in Pederson's position. Most HCs wouldn't be willing to make the bold choices necessary', would've opted for a more conservative gameplan with their backup QB. Pederson trusted Foles to make every play he'd trust Wentz to make, because I think he knew that was his only shot. Pederson wasn't afraid of the peanut gallery Monday Morning Quarterbacking, and now he has a ring.

4) This Patriots defence, when its stripped of Belichick/Patricia's smoke and mirrors patching, isn't good. At all. Kyle Van Noy was a top three performer defensively for the Patriots tonight, and that's awful. McCourty, Chung, and Trey Flowers were disappointing.

5) I really hate the fact that people are trying to pile on Brady and say he's not the GOAT. Brady played really well, and he was tearing the Eagles D up for a lot of the night, but when Schwartz made the adjustment to start putting Graham inside, the Patriots' guards couldn't handle his quickness and he got the inside pressure to throw Brady off his game just enough.

6) This was a fantastic SB. Extremely tense and well-fought throughout. Some names I hope get brought up are Gilmore, who locked down Jeffrey mostly, and Malcolm Jenkins, who did great work in the box covering the Patriots RBs out of the backfield.

7) @Harambe Alvinegro in his preview highlighted the need for the Eagles to try and rock Gronk. The Eagles for the most part failed to do that; Gronkowski almost singlehandedly drove the Pats down the field on a few drives. However, Jenkins did rock Cooks and drove him out, which is an important piece towards the Eagles being able to slow the Pats just enough to hang on.

8) Sorry @Mengão86, it can't be easy to see the division rival win a SB. My condolences.

21. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Mengão86 You got to get on this week or next week and talk about the alex smith trade and preview the redskins offseason. we can plan a day when you are home in front of your laptop.

22. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And i'm pretty much with swearinger on the cousins trade. I wouldnt give up fuller , especially in this market. Aaron colvin's contract will back me up, he's not even as good as fuller

Mengão86 and MatthausSammer repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't really understand why the Redskins gave into desperation here when KC was the one that badly needed to get off Smith's contract.

24. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah I’ll let you know.

25. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    def will be like 45 minutes and up, we got a ton to talk about.