American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    At this rate Guice might could play QB for that organization. When Drew retires, Kirk can become a Saint.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @MatthausSammer might want to touch his fantasy teams here and there....

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey! I won both my matchups this week. :D

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When was the last time you touched your team in either league? I keep seeing Jordan Reed in your lineup. At least @Harambe Alvinegro sort of has an excuse....

Harambe Alvinegro repped this.
  6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was a while back. The problem is Reed is generally listed as questionable last I checked and so I just roll with it, not remembering to take him out when he's listed out.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Agree with @Harambe Alvinegro on 1-6, but I have Wilson swapped with Rothlisberger.

#7 - Andrew Luck. You can see how pathetic the Colts are without him. No o-line, hardly any sort of run game and outside of TY, receiving options that are hardly anything special. He elevates the likes of Moncrief and Doyle. I think Brissett has done an admirable job, but there's a sizeable gap between him and Luck. Heck, I think if Brissett was on a team like the Texans, they'd be a legit contender in the AFC South still.

#8 - Matt Stafford. He does more with less than what Matt Ryan has. He's tough as nails. He goes through his progressions quickly. He comes up big in clutch moments. He is not shy about taking a shot down the field.

#9 - Phillip Rivers. He's a competitor. He is not afraid to take a shot down the field. He plays hurt. He's a leader. He elevates the weapons he has around him. People where getting giddy about the likes of Tyrell Williams and Dontrelle Inman because Phillip made them look like above average WRs. Vincent Jackson was a nobody coming into the league, but he had a stud throwing him the football. It allowed him to get reps and develop. He may not be in the elite QB conversation anymore, but IMO he once was and is still amongst the top QBs in the game.

#10 - Matty Ice. IMO, there is a bit of a dropoff from 9-10. From here on to the mediocre QBs, you got guys that can distribute the football or do different things well, but have glaring weaknesses in their game. Matty Ice sort of reminds me of a less mobile Tony Romo. He needs weapons around him to perform at a high level. He was at his best when he had a top run game. Romo had his best year with DeMarco Murray running behind their nice o-line. Matty Ice had his best year last season with a two headed running attack in Kyle's zone blocking, one-cut run game. I knew the run game was going to take a step back with Sarkasian. And the creativity in the pass game did as well.

#11 - Derek Carr. People talk about Carr having weapons. Redskins fans complain about our defense and lack of weapons. Carr's #1 and 2 is better than ours, but we clearly have better TEs, slot man, a receiving back than Carr does. We also have a better pass blocking line and playcaller than the Raiders have. Carr has proven that he has the ability to play hurt.

#12 - Cam Newton. I might get some heat on this one. I know he has struggled this year after coming off injury. I know he rubs people the wrong way. But every time I have doubted this man (since coming out of Auburn), he has proven me wrong. I expect him to finish the year strong. I think the Panthers were playing it careful in regards to him running the rock, but he needs that element in his game for him to be at his best. I think the Panthers have realized it's time to take off the bubble wrap.

#13-#19 - In no particular order, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff, Alex Smith. These are guys that can do certain things well, but I still have big questions about.
    • I agree that Kirk has shown me more over the last 3 weeks than he has for most of his career. And I'm not even talking about stats. I don't think he was necessarily good in Seattle, but I give him a lot of credit for his toughness (especially given the o-line situation) and finally deciding to take a shot down the field in crunch time. It's sad that it had taken half the season for him to decide to trust his WR and let it rip and give his WR the best chance to get it. I still think he is mentally weak when it comes to crunch time and interceptions. He does a poor job protecting the football in the pocket -- leads the league in fumbles for QBs. Jay Gruden stripped him off any run game by insisting on Fat Rob. We are better as an offense when we are balanced. He was solid vs the Vikings. He did drop some dimes in that came, but he also was at fault for a momentum shifting pick. Was he entirely at fault for that game? No. The defense was pathetic. But with all the whining that the Kirk supporters do, they have proven that Kirk needs a good time all around him to succeed. He's not a QB that will elevate his receiving options or come up big in clutch situations. He is not a franchise guy and not deserving of a $28 mil/year long term deal even if the market dictates he does.
    • I was always curious to see how Dak would perform without an elite run game as a crutch. I don't think he is as bad as he has shown the past 2 games. Tyron Smith also helped with that struggle. I also don't think he was as good as his rookie year. He still needs time to develop and get comfortable with taking shots downfield. That is his biggest knock and now he doesn't have the same play action threat he once had whenever he did take long shots down the field. I don't think he will ever become a top 8 guy, but he will tease with the #10. Dez is massively overrated and Dak doesn't really have any weapons in the pass game. Dez at this point of his career isn't a true #1 IMO.
    • DeShaun Watson. I never like to buy in to performances after one season. I definitely see how he can be legit. But will he return the same guy coming off this injury? Will he still be a running threat? If not, can he survive as a pure pocket QB? He certainly has the intangibles.
    • Jameis Winston. Love the arm talent. But he still continues to be careless with the football and he is questionable at best as a leader. He impressed me his rookie year, but I expected more last season and this season has been a disappointment.
    • Marcus Mariota. I question his durability. He has shown that he is not the same player when he is dinged up. He's got a lot around him on the offensive side of the ball and has underwhelmed this year.
    • Tyrod Taylor. Is he a pure pocket passer? No. But I think he is underrated as a passer. I think he offers better value on the market than a guy like Kirk. Put him on a team like Jacksonville and where do you think they would go? He has been working with WRs who are much worse than what Kirk has had. Robert Woods was the best guy he has had because Sammy was never available.
    • Goff. He still hasn't proven that he can attack a top 10 defense. McVay's scheme can only do so much in terms of getting receivers open. He has to show me he can fit balls through tight windows. He has definitely taken a step forward this year, but he still has quite a bit to prove.
    • Alex Smith. What is there to say about him that hasn't already been said about him for his entire career? He won't necessarily cost you the game, but he won't win it for you either. His stats look good this season, but do not be deceived.
    #20-#32. Either average, mediocre or pathetic.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was cravenly irresponsible of Caldwell to keep trotting Stafford out there after being injured. If you have that little faith in Rudock that he can't complete basic f*cking passes like Stafford struggled to do after the injury, you should have never let go of Kaaya. Stafford's footwork and accuracy went from bad pre-injury to totally f*cked post-injury and the fact that Caldwell failed to anticipate that is one of many reasons why I want the Lions to continually keep him on the hot seat.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Harambe Alvinegro, why are you so quick to bury Detroit? That schedule is pretty soft to finish the season. Their margin for error is minimal, but I think they could honestly make a late run.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They haven't looked good in recent weeks. Honestly, I think the NFC is locked up at this point.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Welp... Our season is over. I'm not really sure where we go from here. Our offensive line still is kinda trash despite heavy investment in it, our defence needs work basically everywhere, we have no true number one WR, and there's still 0 running game. In the words of @Harambe Alvinegro Quinn needs to "whip work" next offseason.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Welcome to the club, bro.

14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think I'm going to temporarily latch onto the Chargers as my secondary team now that the Lions are realistically done in. Fun team to watch.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Since you are in the same boat as me (as far as our teams being done), do you have a preliminary list for who you want in the draft?

Short list for me at the moment: Rosen (unlikely, I know), Key, James, Vea, Guice, Jones, Mayfield. These are guys in the first and MAYBE second.

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I haven't llooked at this draft in any real detail, so if I list anyone unrealistic for the Lions' draft range let me know, there's a fair amount of overlap with your list though: Vita Vea, Christian Wilkins, Arden Key, Mo Hurst, Derrius Guice, Quinton Nelson, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Jaire Alexander.

17. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    my, bad my bad. what are you doing Wednesday? probably the best time to talk about kirk. All you need is a gmail account and we can do it on google hangouts really easy.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Can I use the mobile app? I could do it around 1:00 or sometime around 5:00.

19. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    5 is good i get out at 4. and a mobile app should be fine, as long as you can access google. And you need to find a name to use, Mengao 86 isn't going to work lol. If you want an alias use concerned redskins fan haha. I'm sure you can get creative.

20. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    let me know if your down i'm about to do a podcast with giff and i want to let him kno. if not we can try later in the week.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I’m down. I’ll PM you the Gmail and alias.

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice. I'll be watching that one as soon as it shows on my sub box.

23. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    sounds good giff will be on it too.

24. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    how have you been? busy too?

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've been alright. A bit too busy lately. Haven't been able to watch as much NFL as I'd like. Mostly just the Lions and catching the occasional bits of a Lakers game. But surviving and making it work.