American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Good video @Harambe Alvinegro. I agree with your assessment on the AFC. The Patriots have shown vulnerability and I think the Steelers currently have the makings of making a legit run at them. Pass rush is key to toppling Brady in the postseason. It's a toss up between the Pats and Steelers for me in the AFC. Belichick has the Steelers number in the postseason, so it's difficult for me to say the Steelers will emerge from there.

For the NFC side, the sexy pick is the Eagles. They have a defense that can rush the pass rusher and take the ball away. They have a playmaker at QB. They have options in the backfield. Really, the only apparent weakness is their OL, especially with the loss of Peters, which Wentz's ability masks. They are indiscipline as far as penalties go. And lastly, they are inexperienced in the playoffs -- that goes from players to coaches.

Call it a gut feeling, but my #1 candidate in the NFC is actually the New Orleans Saints. Their defense is underrated by the talking heads. They create turnovers. They can rush the passer. On offense, their line is solid. They have a dynamic running attack with Ingram and Kamara. They have weapons in the passing game and Drew Brees is pulling the strings. They have a big game this week vs Buffalo in Buffalo. They can make me feel better about this choice by going there and making a statement. Show me that they can go on the road, in the cold, against a good defensive mind and win.

With Minnesota, I think they will be in the mix. But I'd rate them much higher if they had Dalvin Cook healthy and playing like he was (which is the only thing keeping me from eating crow on him, but that's an eventuality). I think @Harambe Alvinegro knows how I've felt about Minnesota's RBs over the years not named Adrian Peterson. On defense, they are still a top unit, but I can't help but sit and think of how they'd be with Shariff Floyd.

It's hard for me to count out Seattle, despite what I saw this past Sunday. Honestly, I think they are a RB away from being real contenders. Chris Carson's injury really hurt them. His ability to run behind that offensive line gave more time to Russell Wilson and open up play action. And now that they have Duane Brown, things would have gotten better. Like I said before, Lacy was never the answer. If he wasn't on the roster, Seattle should have seriously pursued Adrian Peterson. I don't think Wilson and their defense can overcome the deficiencies on the offensive line to make a real run. Another thing to mention is that the road through the NFC won't be going through them more than likely if they make the playoffs.

Dallas is in the mix as long as Zeke can play. They have guys on the d-line that can rush the passer and if Sean Lee stays healthy, he can plug up a lot of holes defensively. I just have a hard time trusting their corners.

P.S. - Where has @MatthausSammer gone? Surely he has some thoughts....

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm still around, just a busy time for me. Haven't had as much time to watch the NFL as in years past. But it's difficult to argue against the track record of the Eagles, Steelers, Patriots, and Seahawks for me. Seahawks/Wilson will fight past a Swiss cheese line again and be contenders. I'm iffy on the Saints and the Rams, both of them have question marks against their defence. Saints' D has performed well so far but will they eventually regress to the mean? I think that's eminently possible.

The Vikings have yet to be truly tested and rise to the challenge this season IMO. I've been burned before by Zimmer's outfit, so I remain cautious.

Also, this might be a homer statement, but the Lions could knock a more deserving team out of the playoffs with how easy their second half of the season schedule is.
    Browns at home
    Bears away
    Vikings at home
    Ravens away
    Buccaneers away
    Bears at home
    Packers at home

Vikings at Ford Field is the only difficult game on that slate. Of course, the Lions could just crap the bed anyways, but on paper we could still make a run.

3. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dallas thing is pretty much like you said, now I see Zeke out which equals no chance. Marinelli can patch with that secondary but yea it is still concerning cause you can't patch all year. And The fact you have the Saints 1 is wild but I can't call it crazy, 6 straight wins is 6 straight wins. I'm not a huge fan of their pass rush outside of jordan he's really good tho but my issue is with their secondary but then again who in the nfc is going to take advantage of it? the eagles if anyone. Can't dispute the turnovers either and yea i agree, if they beat buffalo on the road i'd feel a lot more comfortable getting excited about them. I honestly have cognitive dissonance to them, even with this season being crazy them being 6-2 is insane for me to wrap my head around. Redskins are just as good as the saints imo.
    And about Seattle , The o line will probably be too bad but could I see them winning 3 games on the road to get to the superbowl? yea but another one of my worries is them getting hit with the deep ball.
    I agree about the vikings, Without Cook there might not be enough pop, plus the defense is top 3 but is it dominant enough to win a championship? I hope so but from a turnover perspective not really.
    And The Eagles are a team I want to see tested more.
    And about Atlanta you see any life? This Zeke suspension might give a little.
    No carolina love? lol I have no idea how they have a winning record btw.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I’ve soured on them with the Sark hire. Matty Ice reverted back to the norm. I’m not trying to hype Kyle Shanahan too much, but him and pops know how to create a run scheme and Matty I’ve benefitted from it last year. They need to find ways to get Julio the ball because his touches are too low. I actually expected more from their defense. I didn’t think they’d be a top unit, but I expected more sacks and turnovers with the team speed they added to defense in the offseason plus Poe up the middle.

Carolina is a mystery to me. Like you said, their record is baffling because they haven’t passed the eye test. Front 7 on defense is still good but they can be beat over the top. Cam has been too inconsistent and the run game hasn’t been effective at all. Oline play has been average at best.

Since we are in the division, Tampa has been one of my biggest disappointments.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sherman done for the year. Not sure if Seattle can overcome that with the CBs on their roster.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Harambe Alvinegro

If you get a chance, see if you can find Chris Cooley's breakdown of the Vikings that he did today in the 10 AM hour -- you are going to like it. To summarize it, he said your front 4 is the best in the league. He liked your LBs and secondary. He said Rhodes was one of the best in the league. He said attacking Waynes is probably the best option.

On offense, he likes Case Keenum. He said he makes good reads and gets the ball out quick. He liked your backs. And here's the part you are going to like -- he said Thielen is a top 10 WR in this league.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    SMH. Got bailed on that down by contact and Kirk can’t see a blitz right in front of him. Then the next play, he has space to step up and throws off his back foot. He doesn’t have an arm to throw off his back foot.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How about a QB sneak for once, Jay?

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Finally Jay feeding Perine instead of wasting time on Fat Rob. Let’s see what the kid has, if he can not cough it up.

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol now he runs it. Poorly executed but it worked. First time Jay does that in two seasons at least.

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kirk trying to break this game open......for the Vikings.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Saints running ragged in Orchid Park. They fr yet?

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looks who’s back lmao.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    And the Skins come to town right? Yikes.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Should put us in position to take Guice.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    You're going to draft a RB with ur first round pick? Ya.. And I thought Sneyder was dead.

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why not? Especially when it's a generational talent like Guice, it's a no brainer.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Y'all keep your grubby mitts off Guice. Guice is a Lion. Period.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Skins winning this weekend?

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol at the Bills. Benching Tyrod for freaking Peterman already looks stupid after one game.

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Mengão86 found this tweet... Thought you might get a kick out of it...

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hellie is from this media market. He came from here before he went to NFL. He’s sipping on the same Kool-Aid. I thought he played fairly well today, but if that intentional grounding call was on him and not the WR, that’s him choking yet again.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    They said the receiver ran the wrong route. If y'all don't want Kirk... Then all means dump him.. But name me a better QB that the Skins can lure to mfking Maryland.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #6400 Mengão86, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Plenty in the draft that I would take, but we would have to sign a stopgap like Keenum, Tyrod or even Alex Smith (but he will probably be pricy too).

Or we can just put Guice in our backfield and it’ll be a wrap [emoji6]

Oh, and Kirk basically said the ball slipped out of his hand.