American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wrong video, but I'm a bit surprised you didn't like Mahomes as much as I thought you would. Sure he has major issues, but I think most of his issues are shared by virtually every QB in this class as a result of these offensive systems that baby them and simplify the game for them; not making/inconsistently making progressions, rolling out or running way too much, too many easy short throws that college receivers get YAC on, poor footwork, etc.But Mahomes to me has tools and raw arm talent that other QBs like, say, Watson don't, which can help bail him out when he gets in trouble in the NFL. I wasn't super impressed with what I saw from Kizer, but I haven't watched a ton of him, and both you and Giff saw him as the clear number one, so I'll go back and watch some more of him.

On the RBs, I think you guys were a bit harsh on McCaffrey, but I kind of fall in the middle on him. Part of me says he's a legit playmaker, part of me says he's just a faster version of Theo Riddick or Shane Vereen. Totally agree with your Foreman analysis; he's one of my guys I really like. Fournette's great, but I tended towards your view; RBs who are forces in the league generally have more in their bag than pound it in the I formation, and Fournette's a guy you have to use with that in mind a ton to get the most out of him. Giff's understanding of Cook's game seemed a bit off to me, I'm not sure where I'm supposed to see this Howard, Ivory type power out of Cook.

Mixon is the guy I keep coming back to as the most complete, best, least scheme-specific back in this class. If you're running a lot of outside-zone, using the RBs a lot in the passing game, you like to do stuff like spllit your RBs out wide, and you want someone who can create big plays out of nothing, then Cook's the best RB. If you're doing a lot of between-the-tackles power running with a FB or in the I formation with a big commitment to the run game, Fournette will take you to the promised land. But if you're doing a bit of everything, then I think Mixon's the right choice.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Kollmann is getting overexcited when he starts comparing to AP and saying Fournette is better, but overall a very good breakdown.

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    You should see his analysis of Jamal Adams.

So many pre-snap schemes. Yep.. Dave Aranda gonna be gone by next season.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

DJax tried being politically correct, but you can tell he wasn't a Kirk fan....

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kizer matches Mahomes in terms of physical tools. But I do agree that Kizer is quite raw, but he could turn into the best QB of the class in the right system and seasoning.

Like Catracho mentioned, Mixon may end up to being a Christine Michael -- a physical specimen blessed with many great physical tools, but lacks football IQ.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair point.

Mixon's vision, patience, and anticipation of how to set up his blocks on the field is on another level compared to Michael. I can't speak to his difficulty learning the playbook off the field though.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think I'd be a Kirk fan either if I was a deep threat WR.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "But he led the league in air yards, bro." - Kirk supporters

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd hope so given the tremendous offensive talent base he had to work with in Washington. I think Kirk is a 13-18 range starting QB in the NFL, roughly average as a starter, and I think he maintains that position for the rest of his prime career.

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    An interesting question I came across that I thought was curious was: exempting Romo, who is the best backup QB in the NFL right now? I think it's Derek Anderson. Newton's had his share of nicks that have kept him out of games, and Derek IMO always comes in prepared, poised, willing to throw downfield and protect the football, capable of winning games while Newton recovers. Anyone have a different thought?

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some Redskins fans will say it's Colt McCoy.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would you say that? Not a bad shout by any means.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not sure if I'd go that far, but I guess he would be somewhere in the top 5. Technically, Jimmy G is a backup. Shaun Hill used to be a good one, but he's too old now. You don't have Kyle Orton and Vinny Testaverde out there, that's for sure. People are high on AJ McCarron.

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure I'm ready to buy Garoppolo. He came into a New England offence that was already humming with machine-like efficiency and maintained its trajectory for a couuple games. Although I guess that's what you want out of a backup, so I can't knock him for that.

16. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Matt Moore for sure

taosjohn repped this.
  17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Thing is, he hasn't experienced a period of failure yet, and in this league that makes him the leader in the clubhouse IMO. Similarly I count Nassib innocent because not yet proven guilty. And I've liked a lot of what I've seen from Paxton Lynch, green though he may be. There's a lot of bad tape on Anderson. though it is getting pretty old.

And I'm also one of those few who thinks Brandon Weeden has played well more often than he has played poorly. Of course, our last meeting had to be rescheduled-- the phone booth was just too big...

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    *spits out drink* *guffaws* Tell me more about that; I'm intrigued.

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ? I think I have said all there is to say about that?

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm genuinely curious why you feel that Weeden has gotten a bad rap.

21. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Probably cause he's terrible I would think

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think he has played well more often than he has played poorly. I didn't actually complain about his rap.

If you look at what he did that year at Dallas side by side with what Romo did before he got hurt, they aren't actually very far apart.

If I were QB needy somewhere where he wasn't already directly perceived as a failure I'd bring him in if he was available...

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is he perceived as a failure in Houston? They certainly are in the QB market.

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, yeah, but IMO they need somebody with a deep arm. Romo might get by, but if they don't get him my candidate would be Kaepernick.

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm going to be brutally honest; if I was Rick Smith, I'd skip out on the Romo sweepstakes altogether and make a play on Cutler. Romo has been injured over and over again behind what has been the best offensive line in football and the fact that Romo couldn't even make it through a preseason game in which the Seahawks guy didn't even make a particularly physical or punishing hit would scare me to death. Cutler is no Iron Man either, but I'm not scared he's going to break every time he gets hit.

And I think I would also be very comfortable double-dipping if I'm Houston; get Cutler and draft QB in the first two rounds. Houston are an average NFL starting QB and a good draft away from being very, very scary. NFL franchises are like RBs; you remain patient, anticipate what's happening around you, advance carefully, and when you find the hole in the line of scrimmage (Super Bowl window) you explode and try and hit the hole with everything you got. Houston has everything in place that makes a contender except a QB; there's a window of opportunity to make something happen and the Texans need to explode into that window and not let it pass and get hit in the backfield.