American Sports thread

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Mengão86, May 22, 2015.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And we got TJ Lang. A tad overrated much like the rest of Green Bay's OL, but I like the relentlessness by Quinn to hit the OL early and often until it's good.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not a fan of spending money on free agent OL. I prefer to build through the draft and then pay your own guys. I hope it works out for you guys.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's always better to build through the draft regardless of position. That's ideally what you always want to do. But you can't be ideological about that when you're building teams though or else you could end up like the Packers: stuck in neutral because you're rigid about always building through the draft.

Besides now I think we can roll with an OL of Decker-Glasgow-Swanson-Lang-Wagner for the next three years or so and be just fine, don't have to worry about it anymore assuming no major regressions.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agree re: Packers, but I think OL is one of the worst positions to address in FA. There are more factors to consider than almost any other position that will be affected with a FA acquisition. It's actually usually the cheaper OL acquisitions that play out better than the more expensive ones.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair enough. I could be playing myself to try and make myself feel good about the Lions, but I'm hopeful about it.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #5556 MatthausSammer, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Congrats @Harambe Alvinegro on hitting the 1k mark for subs on his podcast. I think DJ Hayden's a guy they brought in to compete for the slot role. Nevin Lawson wasn't great as the #2 corner last year, but he wasn't terrible either. For me this draft has to be mostly about the defensive front seven. They released Levy because he's always hurt, so that makes it even worse. The LBs can't cover worth crap or make splash plays, the DL doesn't get any good penetrating interior push up the middle, aside from Hyder just crashing the party on third-and-long, and the DE spot across from Ansah hasn't been good either. I get the need for a third WR, but this has to be primarily defence-oriented, and to the degree you make offensive picks, I'd pick a nice power RB like Foreman to crash up the middle and run through contact first.

Harambe Alvinegro repped this.
  7. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    The highlands between DRC and Rwanda
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well that's why I agreed with you not liking the levy move. We all know he is injury prone but like you mentioned the weaknesses at lb is things he actually does well, not many linebackers can cover in this league even with the game changing in college. The offense is hard to picture , like I said when was the last time we saw the line get a push? Plus Lang is versatile that's why I loved it so you can't get fuked by injuries too bad. I think most of the draft will be on defense too but I think it will be better naturally, just because the offense will change. It's just hard to picture the lions with a run game and good pass blockers. Hyder is crazy , dude makes plays out of nowhere. My whole thing with Hayden is that is there any evidence he can play slot ? I've just seen him getting burnt on the outside his whole career. And I'm not sold on Marvin jones as a number 2 , he was good last year but teams had to Be focusing on golden.
    Thanks , 1k seems like the breakthrough , that zeke video is already up to 2,500 and it hasn't been a day.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I actually wouldn't mind the Skins gambling on Levy. He might fit in well in a 3-4 with DL eating up OL and not having to take on OL as frequently.

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I heard that Hayden played slot last season and wasn't terrible. That's really all I'm going off at this point.
    It's pretty messed up. Austin's D got annihilated through the first few games in large part because the LBs couldn't cover on man worth a damn. TEs would wreck time and time again. So then he had to switch to this ultra-conservative scheme with a lot of zone, focusing on limiting big plays, and that helped us beat meh teams, but then once we hit that stretch of playoff teams at the end of the season, the defence got exposed terribly, in large part because the LBs couldn't cover or make splash plays. They could wrap up guys 4-5 yards past the line of scrimmage, but they never made plays that imposed themselves on the game.
    If we still can't get push in the run game and protect Stafford, after the major investments we made in the OL, then something needs to change in the coaching. I hope the idea behind these investments is to make this team a more running-oriented team. One thing I took away from both the Falcons and the Patriots in this SB is that Stafford needs more effective play-action in his life to open up Marvin and Tate. I think Marvin and Tate aren't good enough number one and two targets if this is just going to be a straight-up passing team that may pound the rock once in a blue moon. But they're fine if this is going to be a balanced team that's going to make a serious effort to establish the run, game in game out. I also think it has to do with how poor the RBs are at actually running the ball; Riddick is a great passing-down back, but not at all a good runner, Zenner is mediocre at best, as is Washington. Ameer Abdullah is a good to solid runner, but he was injured all season. The team needs better RBs if they're going to commit to the run.
    You guys are doing great, keep giving out good content and I think you can only grow from there. By the way, if you're looking for more football-related hot take material, the Joe Mixon video and controversy seems up your alley.

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey @Harambe Alvinegro, don't know how much Giff follows soccer or whether you could be tempted to go in that direction, but it might be kind of cool if you guys did a segment on soccer, like the EPL or the Confed Cup or something. Just spitballing though, I understand your audience may not be into that.

11. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was actually thinking about it cause I did have a page before where I would just talk about Brazil's national team and happenings in Brazil when there was far more stars playing in Brazil. I been wanting to do a weekly betting show and saying why I would bet those particular teams but I have no idea what to name it so it would get views. I really wanted to talk about Leicester and how I felt it was a lock for them to win yesterday. And epl gets views I did a tony pulis video where I said he should be manager of the year when he was with crystal palace lol. I'm going to keep brainstorming about it.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tim Lelito visiting the Lions. Quinn wants all the offensive linemen lol...

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, how did you call that? I like Sevilla, and I thought they had it in the bag.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hard to blame him; the "Stafford chase" was under consideration as a medal event in the next Olympics as I hear it...

15. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw the first leg and Leicester actually did ok even tho Sevilla missed a pk. Then I saw one match with their new manager in the lg and I was like damn the magics back. Mahrez finally played well and I saw vardy score and I'm like the mágic is back. And Leicester just had too much will for Sevilla , plus outplayed them. Having the better goalkeeper helps.

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I need a second opinion on Christian McCaffrey. Dynamic, extremely smart player with some great speed, receiving, and change of direction skills. I'm certain he'll be productive barring injuries in the NFL. But I have no idea whether he's Danny Woodhead; a reliable scat back who can carry the ball, but won't change a franchise and needs a more powerful option to supplement, or LeSean McCoy, a truly franchise changing RB who doesn't need power to carry the rock in any situation. Anyone else want to chime in on where they think McCaffrey sits on the Woodhead-McCoy spectrum?

17. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm going to sound like a dick but his athleticism reminds me of Eric Crouch. He probably will be decent but I wouldn't take him. So yea i'm going more towards danny woodhead.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fair points. BTW, the Lions have reportedly thrown their hat into the ring for Peterson and are in the discussions for him. How would you feel about that?

19. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't know it was a possibility , I would do it if I was the lions , as a Vikings fan it's more scary due to having to worry about the lions , I feel like all three teams are pretty even right now. I have no regrets about Peterson leaving even if he lands in the division.

20. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @MatthausSammer this layout isn't as bad I was expecting but I hate the technocrats who always feel the neeed to change things just for the sake of changing when they don't even work right. I mean is bigsoccer losing people to Facebook ? Perhaps xtratime? I doubt it , but they obviously feel threatened by something. And if you look at xtratimes New update it is kind of similar to this. Small font and layout like this too.

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Xtratime is dead as far as I know

22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I''m a bit skeptical; Peterson is a pretty specific player that kind of limits what you can do when he's on the field due to his limitations pass-blocking, receiving, running in a committee, and running out of shotgun. He has a lot of injuries and you never know when his gamebreaking athleticism could fade out; it might already be at that point. But with that being said, he'd probably come and be our best pure runner maybe since Barry, and would cement our new identity as a power run team built on controlling the line of scrimmage. We'll see though.
    The official rationale was to make it more "professional" IIRC. I'm more of a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type personally.

23. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil section is but stuff that's dead here like Italy Serbia , ect is alive there. I go there for the Bosnia war talk and they got a lot of other eastern euros.

24. Harambe Alvinegro

Feb 13, 2017
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    IMG_4226.PNG
    First bug lol pretty hard to edit when you can't close the box

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    True. I've only gone to the Brazil and Italy sections. The mod at the Brazil section pretty much killed the activity it had there. And Tim used to post quite a bit there.