American soccer fans

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Cruickinator, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    You know not what you speak of.......I watch 5 - 7 games a week from south america to europe to our own mls.

2. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    this is one item I've been wondering about. the only perception I had noticed (barely, if at all) was that the rest of the world was mostly satsified with Americans staying occupied with our sports whose champions we continue to refer to as 'world champions' despite the fact that most of the world fields no teams or has virtually no connection to at all (baseball and american football).

this quote is very enlightening to me, if I have interpreted it accurately. it sort of reinforces the idea I had during the world cup that the intentions of the US in a broad, general way (sports and beyond) are to "participate" in the international community - - not be it's neighborhood bully. and the one small but genuine shred of proof, in the wake of September 11 and such, was the way the USMNT has evolved into a viable side to match up against some of the world's best; that the US wants to develop a team for a sport we can't co-opt and distort but to try and compete and win (same as in F1). so to hear that the rest of the world wants to see us try our hand at the rest of the world's sport (again, if I got the quote correctly) is very heartening indeed.

3. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Cruickinator
    How do you manage to become a fan? I became a fan of NFL becasue of my imsomnia so I would watch the NFL of free TV. But in the US you don't get to see any. It just seems it would be difficult to get into soccer in the first place.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

absolutely true: tomorrow afternoon is liverpool v. Newcastle, which I've been waiting for! and I'll catch MU v. Aston Villa(?) on repeat after it's on FSW live Tuesday afternoon. might be that yankee inginuity - where there's will there's a way...and a cable vendor to complain to until they add the right channel that shows your favorite clubs. I would like for FSW to show more bundesliga then they currently show, though. IMO, german soccer is the best in the world (no throwing things, please).

4. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    If you bothered to actually read the History section at www.cfl.ca, you'd discover that the Canadian Rugby Union governed all rugby-type games played in Canada, including Canadian Football. Any team registered with the CRU could challenge for the Grey Cup. This included the IRFU and the WIFU, the two bodies that combined to create the CFL, as well as the ORFU, Canadian Universities, and various other unions. Beginning in 1957, only CFL teams competed for the Cup, however there was no CFL until 1958. The CRU owned the Grey Cup itself, the CFL finally gaining trusteeship in 1966, and ownership in 1967. By the way I was wrong about the date, it was 1909 that the trophy was donated. That year, the University of Totonto defeated Parkdale Athletic Club.

Fulham, I feel like a horse's patoot. You're right of course. I never did bother to watch that Sports Century that talked about Camp and other innovators. Oops. I just don't like when ignorant Americans (like me apparently) describe the CFL as American Football with some quirks.

Back to topic, I sometimes get a little ribbing from co-workers and friends for being a soccer fan.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    During the ’94 World Cup I couldn’t get TV coverage, so I phoned around and found a sports bar that would let me watch it "on a small TV in the corner with the sound OFF." And I was estatic…!!!

I feel that Pay for view will kill off the MLS.
    I won't pay for regular season games and that probably is the only way we can get them. I would pay for a special play off game. And I HATE all star "it doesn't mean squat" games.

6. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yes..! And I've noticed that there are still a few wankers around here still arguing about the state and shape of their balls...:)
    Perhaps they didn't notice that the board was "The Beautiful Game" and the thread "American Soccer Fans"

7. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this weekend i have seen 3 mls games, 1 u-19 womens, 4 usl championship games.Plus within th e last month or so i have seen the a league games and championship game. also the D3 games and collage games. I say coverage is getting better, and by the way that is only us leagues

8. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    But don't you need expensive cable for that what I was refering to I can watch the MLB like I'd want to. And the NFL when it starts for free on channel 5 at 1 o'clock in the morning.

9. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The days of actually watching broadcast TV for free are long gone. I live just outside of Washington, DC and I might be able to pick up three stations clearly on a good day. Everyone either has cable or dish now. So a good bit of the programming people say they're watching here is free once you get past your initial cable or satellite fees. However, channels such as Fox Sports World are not part of basic cable programming and do cost a little extra. Personally, I find the various EPL, MLS Shootout, or NFL packages a little too expensive to justify purchasing.

Events like the Gold Cup, the Euro Championships, Federations Cup and most live EPL matches are available only on pay-per-view and normally at such a cost that it makes more sense to go to a sports bar and watch the games with other people who care than it does to stay at home alone to watch.

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Got to agree here like I said in my last post, the “the monopolizing and overcharging fans for the MLS and regular fixtures will kill the MLS in this country” Let people see the games get them enthused and then charge for specials that people won’t mind paying for. Or they’ll do like me and Publius and find a good sport bar..;)

Today on FSWD Liverpool Vs Newcastle 12 noon PST.....FREE

11. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    Can anybody tell me origins of the word "soccer" ?

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, sorry. Don't know that one.

But I could tell you about the real reason the Major League Baseball championships are are called "The World Series," twice. Would that make up for it?

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    An abreviation of Association Football.

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's an colonial word brought back from India in the 1870s. It means 'perpetual discussion'.

15. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002

16. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and rugby announcers in England call it a football...

Try starting at the beginning of this thread and you might find any numbers of answers...

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wrong again...!!! It was 1869. September and it means perpetual disgust..:)

18. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Well, we have learned so much. . .

Where the word "soccer" comes from.
    American Dad's have become Soccer Robots.
    The CFL played Rugby, without anyone noticing, until around 1963.
    English think American Soccer fans suffer at the hands of real he-men who prefer the NFL.

Can we kill this thread, PLEASE!

19. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Now, now BF. I never said anything of the sort. I said the Canadian Rugby Union was in charge of Canadian Football. Get it straight. The Argonauts, Tiger-Cats, Alouettes, and Rough Riders all played in the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union. Until 1963 now that you mention it. There was no CFL until 1958. I don't know why they called it Rugby Football. Maybe they were generalizing. If you carried an oblong ball, you must've been playing rugby I guess. I don't know why I'm arguing with you. Weren't you the one who thought the NFL owned the CFL? Can't forget that little nugget.

20. Fulham9

Fulham9 Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Re: Re: American soccer fans

Its a matter of semantics. Canadian football started evolving away from rugby in the 1880's, about the same timeframe as American football. For whatever reason, the name "rugby" stuck around longer in Canada. But they weren't playing rugby as we know it today.

21. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I don't want to sound like a child, but you started it. Right here. They don't play American Football, they play Canadian Football. The sport has its own rules and history, seperate from ours. But the two have influenced each other.

22. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Re: Re: Re: American soccer fans

Or it could be that. Maybe it was an anachronism, like saying pivot instead of quarterback.

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The differences are enormous. I mean, take the best "American football" players and force them to play "Canadian football" and they wouldn't stand a chance. Right?

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It's very easy. On the other hand, I'm peerless.

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On trips to the US I was pleasantly surprised how knowledgeable people are over there (even one guy who thought Nottingham Forest were a London team "they play in that Notting Hill, like the film, right?" seemed to know his stuff). I can't remember the last time I heard anyone in England discussing the NFL, but I do remember one guy who started talking about his liking of baseball, and people sort of backed away from him nervously, like he'd just asked them if they'd ever let Jesus into their lives.