American Press, Hard at Work Ignoring Actual News

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by CUS, Feb 20, 2008.

1. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I know, shocking.

2. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Nicholas Krystof has mentioned this repeatedly in the Times.

3. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    May 17, 2007

One sentence here Dec 12, 2006
    "Fifth, revive the theme of compassionate conservatism by extending your excellent five-year AIDS program (while not being so squeamish about condoms in the future)."

December 19, 2006 One good sentence in the usual "Yeah But..." construct.

September 19, 2006

June 4, 2006

So about twice a year the last two years in between all the other shots at the president he makes, including repeatedly asking for Cheney to leave. Awe-inspiring.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    More like five times in the last year and a half. Still, I thought it was more frequent than that. FWIW, his columns tend to cover neglected stories and events. Dude's amazing.

5. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    But isn't Bush responsible for AIDS anyway?

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was Reagan. Meanwhile, the NYT is more interested in hyping a non scandal about McCain and some lobby-babe than actually reporting real news.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I agree that this is a nonstory, but I believe that right-wing errand boy Matt Drudge first pushed this so-called scandal several months ago, back when the far right still thought that they could torpedo McCain's candidacy.

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make sense only if you would equate the Drudge Report at the same journalistic level and credibility as The New York Times. Do you? Said another way, shouldn't both sources of news make an effort to verify news before publicizing it in tabloid fashion; i.e., have at least a named and credible source and a backup secondary source before going public with unfounded libelous accusations? As it stands now, not only is this NYT article a "nonstory" I think John McCain has excellent grounds for a civil case/libel suit against "The New York Times" (or the Drudge Report) for reckless and unfounded accusations.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And I wonder who leaked the story to Drudge?

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Have you been reading MassRef's posts in PC&E? They're pretty interesting.

For those who haven't, MassRef worked as a research analyst for the Romney campaign. One of the tidbits he mentioned is that Romney people are furious over the failure of the Times to publish this story in December.

As far as who leaked it, it could be anyone: the reporters, someone from an opposing campaign, someone who was queried by the reporters during their initial research--anyone.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    MassRef's posts are fascinating and insightful. Regardless of your political leanings he is one of the better posters over there, so it cracks me up the way Dave and Tex hound him after every post. Par for the course I guess.

As for the leaks, I'd look no further than the NYT reporters.

How's school going?

12. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I agree with you re: his posts, even though I don't agree with him on policies. He's one of the most articulate and insightful posters there, regardless of political affiliation. GT occasionally teases him, but I think GT also generally likes his posts. I don't like Dave's reactions to them, to be honest.

They're pretty likely sources for the leak, but according to TNR, there was concern (from McCain's camp, if I recall correctly) about the reporters questioning prominent persons on Capitol Hill. The story was likely an open secret.

Fine, thanks! I'm a little past the midpoint of the quarter. I just bid on my next round of classes (Applied Regression Analysis and Micro). We'll see how that goes. Obama's lead economic man, Austen Goolsbee, is teaching a class next quarter. I'd love to take it, but I don't have the prerequisites yet (or, for that matter, enough points to make a winning bid on it).