American Idol (Season 11) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kind of shocked Joshua Ledet made it this far.

Given the right material, he may be the first Idol contestant I'd actually listen to outside of the show. I'd love to see him in front of the Dap Kings or even paired up with Jack White. There's some serious, serious soul music that could come out of him. (I wish he would've done a Jackie Wilson song -- someone else did one this season I believe, and it just highlighted how much better he would have sung it).

Fingers crossed -- but, considering the immense forces of commerce that will be pressed upon him, I wouldn't put a dime on it.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Lyndsey Parker, that was the best exit song in American Idol history. :eek:

-G

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just for the record, i don't lend much credence to bloggers. also, whether it was the best exit song in AI history is a footnote, a Twitter moment. what difference does it make?

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less than a day left for Scotty McReery to continue enjoying being the reigning American Idol champion. :eek:

-G

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jessica over sang her songs. Way too many grunts in the first and runs in the second. her third song just sucked. Was not crazy about the song choices for Phil but he was consistantly good. I think he will carry the female 18-34 age group which is probably the biggest voting group

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Was the audio horrible for anyone else? I didn't feel anything for any of Sanchez's performances. I'm not a fan of Phillips or even any of his songs last night, but he was the better singer and performer. For what it's worth, I thought last week were some of Sanchez's worst performances all season, but the judges loved them. I thought she took a huge steps backwards towards the singer I have never liked last week while Phil took a leap forward with his final song and singing a chorus. I don't pretend I'm going to be buying any of the albums of spawns of AI. I'm sure both of them will have long careers. It will be interesting (hopefully not hilarious) to hear how "urban" they attempt to make Sanchez. Even with his background, Jason Derulo has struggled on the "urban" side.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I didn't plan on commenting on anything until tomorrow, but Jennifer Holiday just said you aren't ready for a training bra, back to the onsie and diapers for you Jessica.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That proposal was interesting... I always forget to mention the jeweler when I give a woman a ring.

9. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I still think Joshua Ledet is one of the best singers ever to compete on this show, his vocal style can strain patience. It's basically the Hulk syndrome, where his awesome powers can be used for good... or simply to smash.

And the perfect example of a similar singer who goes All Hulk-Smash All the Time is previous Idol winner Fantasia Barrino, who I think is one of the worst singers ever to compete on the show, let alone win. That's probably an overstatement -- howzabout: one of my all time absolute least favorite, I'd rather listen to Justin Guarini every day for life, Orwellian "Do it to her!" level double-plus-ungood singers.

And then there's the black widow skintight crazysuit from last night.

[​IMG]

Holy Nightmares, Batman.
    Swear to god, my first thought was literally "Run! Joshua, Run!!!"
    If they ever recast Venom for the Spider-Man films -- well, I think we have an instant frontrunner.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw you for posting that photo. My eyes! Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The head and her voice were the only things that were recognizable about Fantasia. My first thoughts were unbeweavable followed by she hasn't lost weight, but she has lost clothes. I was almost hoping they would still be going when Fox came back from commercial though.

Ever viewer had to really appreciate Jennifer Lopez continuing to prove she's the worst at lip syncing in the industry. Chris Brown doesn't have anything on her. At least all of his songs actually use his voice... Meanwhile, Rihanna is taking notes from both.

The show ended in that awkward period where they went slightly over their time slot, but they had to draw it out before going to credits and potentially to local affiliates. I thought it was funny that they stayed on the last note of Phillips song seemingly forever.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the duet with Jennifer Holliday and Jessica Sanchez may have be the closest thing I have ever seen to Scanners w/o exploding heads. Whew! I thought Holliday might actually eat Sanchez. and while we are on the subject of "...I'm Not Going", if either of those women sang that song to me i'd be out the door in maybe 2.6 seconds.

scary bad.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For years that was Holliday's song and nobody touched it. Then Hudson stepped up and Holliday initially hated that. I'm pretty sure that was Holliday knowing Sanchez wasn't in her league. Holiday wasn't singing. She wanted to show it wasn't a competition. It wasn't a cute little blend of voices to sound nice.

I probably shouldn't have been, but I was surprised by how weak Sanchez was doing Mariah Carey.

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dunno whether you are old enough to remember when singers sang songs without the manic embellishments that have been rendered compulsory by the likes of Carey and Houston. as Simon Cowell was fond of pronouncing, it's "self-indulgence". we get it that you're a good singer. move along.

so when Barrino and Holliday get all primeval with their renditions of songs, whether they have previously sung the iconic version or not, it's tedious beyond description for me.

Joshua Ledet had become that kind of singer. His "...Man's World" brushed up against the barrier between emotionally charged ( good ) and shriek-y ( bad ), but last night with Fantasia ( he's Mantasia? -- does that mean that he's one incarnation removed from Ru Paul? ) their performance was tantamount to aural waterboarding.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished watching the season finale off of my HD-DVR while in the meantime having avoided newspapers and other media from which I would've prematurely found out who won (I watched the California Clásico game last night and then shortly thereafter went to bed).

This year's season finale was pretty entertaining, though slightly more subdued compared to last year's. Still, it was more entertaining than the Season 9 finale two years ago, which was perhaps the show's most lackluster season finale since I started watching the show in Season 3. :cool:

Every time the entire Top 12 reunite in the season finale, it's interesting to see that mostly-forgotten contestant that was voted off in Week 1. :D

Interestingly, both of Season 3's finalists made it to the stage, the winner (Fantasia Barrino) to perform and the runner-up (Diana DeGarmo) to be proposed to. Speaking of Diana, where and when did she and fiancee Ace Young meet, considering that he was only on the show in Season 5? :confused:

In any case, I'd imagine that Phillip Phillips would've enjoyed his win more if he wasn't scheduled to go for kidney surgery soon. :eek:

-G

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually liked this year compared to the last couple of years. Actually, it seemed like a competition compared to a couple of good singers and waiting the last 10 weeks for the dead weed to get tossed...

Holliday was plan scary. I don't know what the hell she was doing, but it wasn't singing...Fantasia? Chaka Khan? My wife was asking who told them it would be a good idea to wear those outfits.

Other than the duo with John Fogerty, the finale was not good.

17. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As most prolly know by now, Steven Tyler has announced his departure from Idol.
    Not really news worthy--however his lunatic public statement on the matter is pretty delusionally entertaining. Even more so, the AV Club's take on the matter, below, is typically hilarious.

Tyler:
    And of course, Tyler's departure has already refueled speculation that Jennifer Lopez might similarly leave the show, as well as those recent, TMZ-sparked rumors that American Idol might replace both of them with Charlie Sheen and Jerry Lewis, because frankly, it doesn't matter at this point. Maybe it's Mel Gibson and the dog from The Artist. Or Mark David Chapman and Lisa Lisa, But Not Cult Jam. Or Mike Tyson and a stack of buttery pancakes. Let's see!

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I want to cry whenever I hear AI actually wants to keep her and she's not happy with just $15 million/year.

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here's the deal. Jennifer Lopez, when she has her hair and makeup perfect, is a stunningly beautiful woman. if that ain't enough for you, get with the testosterone cream, boyo. ;)

this one

[​IMG]

not this one

[​IMG]

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    At least Mimi can actually sing. Didn't Cowell intend for her to be on X-Factor last season?

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think they met at a dog park

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006