American Gods {There Be Spoilers Here}

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ismitje, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Gods is the first "appointment viewing" for me in a long, long time. Normally I am more than happy to wait days or weeks to see something, but I will be on my couch and ready at 9 pm tonight for the first episode. I am a fan of the book but not so that I will object to deviations or additions, which is good since author Neil Gaiman was both very involved and quite happy to let showrunners Bryan Fuller and Michael Green expand the work, combine elements from another Gaiman book (Anansi Boys), and have it told from various perspectives.

Here we go!

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what did you think? I'm still not sure what to make of it, thought a lot of it was absurd.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never read the book, so I'm nowhere close to familiar with the source material.

Gave it a shot last night (I know, a day late), and don't really know wtf I watched. Should I be more familiar with the book in order to "get" the show?

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By this point in the book, neither Shadow nor the reader are sure about what is happening either, though presumably we read the book jacket and know the general premise. The answers start coming though.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scene in the car at the end doesn't go that way at all in the book. Well, the gist of the conversation does, but it is an actual limo and Technical Boy does not order Shadow killed (just for him to warn Wednesday), hence no scene at the end with the near-hanging or bloody attack from the mystery savior. I am curious what happened there.

But Shadow was just as confused in the book about what Technical Boy was on about as in the show.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought some of the action scenes were a bit over the top, especially the one with the Vikings squaring off against each other. I'll give it another episode or two, but that first episode kind of turned me off more than got me excited for it. I had been looking forward to it for a while as well.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a bit of a 300 vibe for me.

Dante repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one was different than in the book. In the book the Vikings arrive, and to thank Odin/The Allfather they flay the native who comes calling, and later the larger tribe wipes out the Vikings so no one returns to their homelands. The larger point is that the gods arrived with their settlers, and the gods act like what their adherents believed they would - as will they throughout the run of the series.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it had good reviews, I found the book to be lacking. It's been several years since I read it, but I remember that it wasn't compelling too me. Probably needed to know my mythology better. As far as the series, no interest in watching.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gillian Anderson had two extended scenes this week:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last three episodes have been terrific.

Dills repped this.
  11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Mad Sweeney/Laura Moon scene will be my favorite.

Loved her bathtub antics when the police showed up.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The storylines of both those characters have been improved significantly in the show. I quite liked the Laura-centric episode two weeks ago.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was great about that is how SHE was the one who saved Shadow from the lynching.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone notice I Love Lucy's wink?

Try to wink with one eye and have the opposite corner or your mouth move ... it's like trying to touch your elbow to your ear ... impossible.

At least for me.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize the latest episode - Come to Jesus - was the season finale. Was utterly confused why I couldn't find episode this past Sunday. :oops:

16. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Listened to the book over a series of long drives over the last month or so (10th anniversary extended edition) and loved it. Started the TV show a few nights ago and not really liking it. In the book, Shadow seemed to go along with everything better in a "******** it, everything I know/love is gone, I don't care what happens" type of thing while in the show he seems tenser, more high strung, and combative.

17. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Shadow in this TV show was in my class at school. He wasn't hugely popular and was a bit of a t**t tbh, but a couple of years out of school and he had grown up a lot and seemed pretty normal then. That's my story.