American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In other words, Atlanta fans show up consistently at or somewhat above average for every season they'd had a pro team to support. That would suggest maybe a 5k-8k range in the NWSL environment.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The chance of something big going on behind the curtains when we don't even officially have a commissioner seems VERY low to me.
    I do like the sound of this, and it sounds fairly reasonable. Although saying "the Atlanta group" at this point is rather nebulous... The expected NASL/NWSL announcement from back in April never happened and NASL is a very precarious league at the moment. I wouldn't mind if ATLUTD came into the picture, though, but I haven't heard any news on interest there either.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #979 Cliveworshipper, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    My sources in the league say there are no current expansion plans at least for 2018. Instead, there is pressure on the least successful franchises attendance and venue - wise to find better business models.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh yeah, that's all been established in other threads. There was no time table suggested with the Nashville article there - and, if the subtext of my commentary wasn't clear, I don't put much faith in this lip service or any other name-dropping of NWSL by expansion groups.

6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Nashville, along with Minnesota, Sacramento, Cincinnati, Detroit..... I think these potential MLS expansion teams through the NWSL in there to better their chances. Any of them seem like 5-7 years away for an NWSL expansion team.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And LAFC too. Yeah, that was my point with
    Their goals #s 1, 2, and 3 are just to get the MLS team. (Minn and LAFC have already done so.) Any mention of NWSL from ANY of these teams has, to me, always sounded just like lip service, either as PR or as a way to make their stadium deal sound like it'd be less of a $$$ drain because it COULD be used for a second soccer team. "Hey, we're a good choice because we'd POTENTIALLY add an NWSL team in the future! What, are we making moves toward it right now? Haha, you must be joking!"

If an interested group actually came out with a two-fold approach right off the bat (like the ATL NASL/NWSL bid) or at least honestly integrated WoSo into their efforts after name-dropping NWSL, I'd be happier. But every one of those other groups listed above just seem like dishonest opportunists to me. I think we'd see an NWSL team associated with LAG, SJE, or RSL before any of those expansion groups.

blissett repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL's owner, Dell Loy Hansen, is holding a press conference tomorrow with Utah's Governor, Gary Herbert. The main rumor about the press conference is to announce a NWSL team, but I'd assume NWSL leadership would be in attendance for that. The governor isn't usually involved for the regular RSL announcements, so this should be interesting.

930925427794706432 is not a valid tweet id

https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2017/11/15/16658560/rsl-announcement-potential-nwsl-team

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much what I've heard. The main bit of speculation is that they've bought FCKC. I'd hate to see KC move, but it isn't working in that market.

10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. I never like to see teams move markets. But if it means we get Sydney Leroux, then I can support the move (assuming Orlando does make some big moves to get her.).

11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Aside from SKC taking over the team, I think this is probably the best possible outcome for FCKC - soon to be the Salt Lake Queens?

That said, I'm a little worried as to what the now-pattern of previous-expansion-interest-taking-over-small-teams is gonna do to growth. It's good for stabilizing what we have, but I'd like to see the league actually grow teams again. Not to mention that a spate of relocations make put a big damper on any new expansion interest. (I don't know for sure, but I would think a league with some question marks but no relocations is more attractive than a league with lots of relocations.)

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If residents are up in arms over a high school having the mascot of Phoenix (they claim the plural sounds like penis :ROFLMAO:), I can only imagine how they would react to a team called the Queens. RSL will probably use a name to tie in the whole royal theme, but I hope they’re a little more creative.

14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stinks. There goes my favorite team.

15. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    NWSL didn't mention that FCKC is relocating. Very odd.

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    so maybe NWSL is covering in case whatever ownership group doesn't come through to buy FCKC? Seems like there's a small chance FCKC will still be around for 2018.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NWSL is in discussions with FCKC and saying the'll provide more information about FCKC's future as soon as they can. Makes me think, with the RSL press conference and releases having gone forward without anything settled with FCKC, that RSL and the NWSL are ready to go ahead with a Salt Lake team no matter what. But, a reasonable guess is that discussions for RSL's taking over FCKC are underway, but it isn't a done deal yet.

From a player's legal rights perspective, the players' contracts are with the League, not with the individual teams. So, assuming a deal gets done between the RSL and FCKC management groups, the League simply can assign the FCKC players to RSL. (I think.)

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hahahahahahahaha Hohohohohohohoho

Yeah, never gonna happen. No way in hell the league ever allows him to be part of an ownership group again.

21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Nope. If Minnesota lands an NWSL team, it'll be owned by Minnesota United. Baer is done with any involvement with the NWSL.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Shockingly, it seems that the ATL group isn't dead yet:

...but I'd still bet it's pretty dead.

23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looking at the new edition of the NWSL almanac, here are the leaders in some stat categories for the first 5 years of the NWSL.

Goals: Kerr 43
    Assists: Holiday, Nairn, Ohara 18
    Fouls: Zerboni 179
    Yellow Cards: Fishlock 15
    Games: Nairn 108
    Minutes: Taylor 9450
    GK Goals against average: Franch 0.83
    Saves: Barnhardt 372

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club: