American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Ten Reasons Why I think San Diego is where FC Barcelona will place their Expansion Team.

1. San Diego is ranked as the 8th largest city in the US
    2. Only one major sports franchise left in operation in San Diego, the San Diego Padres.
    3. Place of first Barca Academy on the West Coast.
    4. Already has a working relationship with the City of San Diego and School District.
    5. Want be treading on any MLS's club's designs on having their own NWSL team.
    6 Close to rich concentrated areas for youth soccer, So. Orange Co. & So. Riverside Co.
    7. Take full advantage of the void the Chargers have left.
    8 .While no current desires for MLS team now, leaves the door open should minds change.
    9. Could be better location for expanding their Academies across into Mexico.
    10. Prospects of building some of their fan base out of Mexico

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I hope Atlanta is still a possibility. The WUSA & WPS Atlanta Brat drew well. I think another team in Atlanta would do just as well.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The WUSA Beat drew very well (comparatively).

The WPS Beat - not so much.

It all comes down to ownership and execution. If it's owned by the minor league/amateur outfit in Atlanta, you're probably looking at another Breakers or FCKC. If it's owned by Atlanta United and is able to leverage the fan base and supporters, you're possibly looking at something in the Dash/Pride/Courage mold - which given where most of the NWSL is, would be acceptable.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    WUSA:
    2001 - 2nd
    2002 - 5th
    2003 - 3rd
    WPS:
    2010 - 4th
    2011 - 2nd

I agree.

6. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    toad455 and blissett repped this.
  7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Never thought about them teaming up with a MLS team(San Jose). I still think they should look at San Diego. Let LAFC get their own team in 2019 & San Jose their own team in 2020.

8. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, if a women's team gets even 10% the support the men's team does and GA tickets are $20, that would cover it easily enough. And I was under the impression that MBS tickets would likely be more expensive than that, plus women's teams in the US generally do better than 10% of their respective men's team. I do kinda think that striking while the iron is hot would be a great idea at the moment, considering just how much that market has suddenly popped. Granted, you have to wonder if ATLUTD's support will be constant or is just a bubble, but it's still impressive enough to deserve some serious discussion.

That said, options 2-4 on that list read more like a wishlist than anything based on real grains of interest. Nor do they discuss anything (outside of Atlanta) that has seen previous hints of expansion. Finally, they give "Saint lours" as an honorable mention, which pisses me off more than a little bit.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I don't buy it. I'm pretty sure the bargain basement break-even for the Revs at Robert Kraft owned Gillette Stadium is in the neighborhood of 12-15k

And if any women's team other than Portland charged $20 for GA, they'd be lucky to get four figures attendance at this point.

sitruc repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...preeeetttyyy sure that at least half of all NWSL teams currently have $20 GA for single-game tickets. Season tickets are cheaper, of course, but that's balanced by non-GA tickets being more expensive.

Also, that's the Revs in an old stadium. IIRC teams like Chicago and Houston have much lower break-even attendance figures.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gillette is an old stadium? One build this millenium? Really?

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002. Before soccer was invented here.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Compared to most of the other stadiums in MLS, yes. Admittedly, maybe a poor measuring stick, but it's still a bad venue in multiple ways for MLS.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As I mentioned in another thread, I doubt the league will expand the number of teams this year but I do think a team may get relocated. I think they will try to prop up the existing franchises first.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Definitely agree that expansion looks very unlikely, considering a lack of visible interest (outside FC Barcelona) and a lack of commissioner to oversee it properly. But a relocation? Not so sure. Just a feeling on my part, though - I certainly didn't see WNY->NC coming at all.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually it's a great venue for MLS. It is a very modern stadium, and Seattle and Atlanta have shown that MLS can succeed in NFL stadiums.

If Seattle or Atlanta had been 1996 teams and the Revs were a recent expansion system, we might very well be looking at 15-20k in Seattle or Atlanta thinking that there's something wrong with the franchise while New England is crushing it.

The Revs routinely had very large crowds for really crappy teams back in the first couple of years. The biggest problem with Gillette is 20 years of operational neglect and missteps combined with an empty trophy cabinet.

sitruc repped this.
  20. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Expansion seems more likely for 2018 than 2019 as it's a World Cup year. The schedule in 2019 will be altered with a large break in June. Same in 2020 for the Olympics(July 22 - Aug 8). Just think it's easier for an expansion team to start in 2018 than in 2019/2020.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Disagree on three fronts.
    1) It's easier for a new team to launch with a big event to propel it forward.
    2) It's probably better for the league to have "stabilization years" between the big events instead of being in flux every single year.
    3) Even without comparing it to other years, expansion for 2018 seems very unlikely at the moment since there hasn't been any real expansion news or even rumors at all in a long time aside from FCB (which I still think is a longshot).

22. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    There may just be stuff brewing behind the curtains. :sneaky:

23. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I hope so. I definitely seems like the Barcelona group is ready, just a matter of where they'll play. San Diego seems best. I hope the Atlanta group comes through by 2019. Then LA & others can follow.

24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I'd actually prefer and it's likely doubtful.
    2018: San Diego(Barcelona) & Atlanta.
    2020: Los Angeles & either San Jose or Salt Lake City.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2001 - 11,092 in a league that averaged 8,103
    2002 - 6,784 in a league that averaged 6,969
    2003 - 6,958 in a league that averaged 6,667

2010 - 3,690 in a league that averaged 3,588