American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would this team play in New York?

2. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I think it odd that they would wait until after the season is over to really look at expansion and determine which groups might be awarded a franchise. It seems like they are setting it up to repeat the problems they had this year - not enough time to promote the team.

I do agree with the idea that expansion should be limited to two teams, unless they do something to recruit some of the international players (though I don't know how to do that without breaking the bank).

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The article said it would be discussed at a meeting on the weekend of the championship game. Hopefully that means the bids will all be in an have been reviewed by that time so they will be deciding who the winners are, and can announce the expansion teams in September. That will give them a few more months of run-up time than the original 8 had. If they are going to expand for 2015 as well, hopefully they'll get to it a bit sooner. Maybe they could use this meeting to decide on 2 for 2014 (pick two teams that are already established MLS or W-League teams and will be OK with the shorter timeline) and 2 for 2015 (2 new teams that will need some more time to prepare) or something.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    FC Indiana wants in.
    They are one of the ones that will be reviewed by the league if they choose to consider them.
    FC Indiana has inevitably been turned down before.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would FC Indiana's team be located? There are 10 Division I schools that have women's soccer in Indiana. They are spread around the state. Here are the 10 schools' average home attendance for 2012:

Ball State: 280
    Butler: 257
    Evansville: 290
    Indiana: 369
    Indiana State: 341
    IPFW: 243
    IUPUI: 476
    Notre Dame: 1118
    Purdue: 505
    Valparaiso: 200

Total average DI attendance for Indiana DI schools: 4079

These numbers do not show great support for women's soccer, but they aren't awful numbers either. Notre Dame's number, in particular, is pretty good putting it as the #14 school in terms of average home attendance.

6. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They play in Indianapolis now. I doubt they'd be moving. I don't know why they'd want to join the NWSL though, they would no longer be able to be the Haitian National Women's Team.

7. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Indy = hometown of Lauren Holiday. A 2 hour (although very meh) drive from me, this franchise would be a winner in my book. From the DI attendance figures, looks like they would be able to compete with Sky Blue and Chicago ... so with the right owner/investor and appropriate costs - it could happen.

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are these numbers for paying fans excluding college students, or all attending including students who may not pay?

Just for comparisons, I looked at Rutgers women home games for '12. Ten games but attendance given for only nine.
    Averaged of 622 per game including a high of 1,662 for an October game. Excluding the high, an avg. of 455.
    Sky Blue avg. attendance to date is about 1,650 at the same Rutgers facility. or 2.65 times the average for Rutgers games. 3,62 times the average for Rutgers excluding the high game.

Pick a possible facility nearest to a school and do the math compared to that specific school to calculate a possible attendance.

9. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US

Well let's pick Butler and IUPUI since these are both in Indy.... combined average is about 700/game. I don't think either of these programs is currently drawing elite talent for fans to view/support. Anyway, obviously there are other markets for expansion that would be more attractive or make more sense from a distribution/market size standpoint, just sayin'... there'd be a few season ticket buyers from my house :).

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the attendance numbers for all of Rutgers' 2012 home games, for an average attendance of 667:

Date Day of Week Attendance Home Away
    8/19/2012 Sunday 502 Rutgers OhioState
    8/24/2012 Friday 1075 Rutgers Bucknell
    8/26/2012 Sunday 316 Rutgers Siena
    9/7/2012 Friday 392 Rutgers StonyBrook
    9/14/2012 Friday 1145 Rutgers Villanova
    9/16/2012 Sunday 458 Rutgers Georgetown
    9/21/2012 Friday 483 Rutgers SouthFlorida
    9/23/2012 Sunday 223 Rutgers Marquette
    10/12/2012 Friday 1662 Rutgers Louisville
    10/14/2012 Sunday 417 Rutgers Cincinnati

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks, the Rutgers site did not have the Bucknell # which was my missing tenth game.

Generally, are these paying admissions or includes students who may not pay or pay at a student rate?

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    FC Indiana would have one of the nicer stadiums in the league.

[​IMG]

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the NCAA attendance statistics policy:

Attendance figures for official box scores and/or NCAA reports can be calculated by turnstile count, tickets sold or estimates. NCAA championship tournament figures always are compiled by tickets sold. Schools should make every effort to record an attendance figure on each
    statistical box score it produces.
    For doubleheaders involving the men’s and women’s teams, the attendance figure should be taken by halftime ofthe first game for it to count on that team’s season home attendance. If no figure is taken for the first game, do not count the game in that team’s season home attendance.
    When there is one gate charge for two or more games, this is considered a session and should have only one attendance figure for all games of that session. If two or more games are played and there is no admission price, an attendance turnstile count or estimate should be made for each game individually. For baseball and softball doubleheaders, use one attendance figure (the higher of the two games) and count it as one date or session.
    If a team is hosting a regular-season tournament, conference tournament or postseason NCAA tournament at its regular home site, the attendance figure should be included in its full season home attendance for each game or session in which that host team participates. If a team
    is hosting a regular-season tournament, conference tournament or postseason NCAA tournament at a facility close by, the attendance figure can be included in its full season home attendance for each game or session in which the host team participates if the institution so chooses.
    If a team moves a scheduled home game from its regular home site to another facility close by, that attendance can count on the team’s home attendance. Some teams have multiple dates at an off-campus facility that they consider to be home games. These games also can be included in
    home attendance.
    While season tickets for a particular sport can be included in a team’s attendance if counting by tickets sold, all-sport season tickets cannot be counted this way. Persons attending games with an all-sport season ticket can be counted if attendance is compiled by turnstile or estimate, but
    not if determined by tickets sold.
    In order for a team to rank among the attendance leaders nationally, it is required to have a minimum amount of home games for the season. That minimum will vary from sport-to-sport and/or year-to-year depending on circumstances.

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks,

If I understand this correctly, attendance numbers could include non paying customers. So, the figure for the example of Indiana schools of 4,079 may not be all paying customers, which a stand alone pro team would want.

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, if the school uses either estimates or turnstile count. If it uses tickets sold, then the attendance number represents paying customers. An important qualification, however, is that if the school sells season tickets and wants to count all season tickets sold as part of each game's attendance, then the count must be by tickets sold and not by estimate or turnstile count. So, for those schools that sell significant numbers of season tickets, their number most likely always represent tickets sold.

FYI, I've looked at the game-by-game numbers for the Indiana schools and it appears that they represent either turnstile counts or tickets sold (i.e., not estimates). If they represent turnstile counts, they could include non-paying attendees if they allow that.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To put some actual fuel on the fire:

Last tidbit mentioned here - http://equalizersoccer.com/2013/07/17/lowdown-ashley-phillips-stars-for-breakers/
    As I mentioned in the comments section of the article, this does not surprise me one bit. Anyone watching lower-division women's soccer should be impressed both with how dominant the Aces have been in all competitions this season and with how much more active the organization itself is this year over last.

=edit=
    Here's an article that actually says the Aces are, in fact, looking at NWSL 2014:
    http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cypr...cle_ed1f7996-ef14-11e2-a0ec-0019bb2963f4.html

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one starts making sense to me, as Texas colleges have good support for women's soccer. I'll see if I can pull together some numbers and post them. Whether Houston is the right location, I don't know.

18. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Looking at college attendance numbers in determining where to put pro teams has the feel of looking for your car keys under the street light for me. There are so many variables driving these college numbers (does the department promote the games? at all?? is the coach/staff/team tied to ODP/community teams so that people are familiar with the program? do they play attractive games against rival schools?). Do they play in a facility that invites attendance and is readily accessible to their fans (i.e. on campus)?

kenntomasch and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will be curious to see what they do with Carroll. Because it had, at last look, very little infrastructure (no locker rooms on site, two rest rooms IIRC, a decent-sized press box, but very little in the way of amenities and parking (there was a lot across the street that was basically campus parking, but wasn't very big if I recall and almost no parking on the actual footprint itself).

Not all of what you're looking at above actually exists at the moment. the "inner" stands are all renderings of temp seating put up on the track that surrounds the field. I am not even sure the east end zone (that's right, the field runs east/west, meaning sun in the eyes of at least one keeper depending on the time of day) stands actually exist. There might have been something there back in the day. But the main stand (to the right of the picture, the south end, topped by the press box) is, to my recollection, the only part that actually exists currently (unless they have added to it since).

Well, here's a shot of it as of (apparently) last August:

[​IMG]

So there is some seating on the left (north) side, but nothing else. And it's now grasstroturf, but at least IUPUI doesn't have American football, so there are no gridiron lines. The scoreboard at the center (east end zone) would be obscured by stands erected there, and any stands on the track would cancel out the ones you can see to the right and the left, just off the track.

Decent view of the city, surely. And, given the paucity of actual options in Indianapolis, certainly the best choice for temp digs for the Eleven and a potential NWSL team.

I've not been to the Maryland SoccerPlex, but Carroll Stadium would likely be an overall better NWSL venue than anything except Sahlen's and JELD-WEN. I used to live two minutes from Benedictine University, and that's a very nice complex as well, with fewer seats than Carroll and more distracting lines, but better creature comforts.

As to the general point of expansion, they'd better get on it for 2014 if it's going to happen. The clock is ticking. Also, let us keep in mind that no professional women's soccer league in this country has ever had more than eight teams. Let's prove we can get to ten before we start extrapolating 20 and 24 and all that.

20. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, I did not that the there was even an existing facility or just a empty lot except for the drawing showing a what if.

Thank you again for a sense of reality. History shows that there likely be dropouts as much as additions in the near term.

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The discussions of college attendance was not to support the idea of a pro team in a specific college area but to dampen the possibility of a FC Indiana team in the pro league.

22. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Why not talk about wiener dog racing? Just as pertinent. If FC Indiana has the dough to cover 5 years or so in the red, why not? If they're under capitalized, who cares what kind of market they're sitting on (hello, LA Sol)?

FWIW, if they can make a go w/ 2-3k fans per game, Indy can certainly support that (and given there's no MLB team, the market may be less saturated with options). If they're really well run, why NOT 4k per game? It's easier to get to wherever they're playing than the Plex!

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, not so. The college numbers simply are facts. When I put up the Indiana numbers, however, I wasn't particularly discouraged by them, especially if the site is Indianapolis as IUPUI appears to have attendance well in excess of what one would expect for the level of its program.

Although college attendance is not a perfect indicator of likely fan support for professional women's soccer, I haven't seen anyone come up with anything better or likely to be a good additional indicator. And, Portland's experience suggests that strong support for local college women's soccer may indeed be an indicator of likely strong support for professional women's soccer.

If someone thinks there is another good indicator of likely fan support for professional women's soccer, let's hear about it.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's the rub, there isn't one - and I mean "there isn't one period", not "there isn't one besides college attendance". Women's soccer is just to niche at the moment for there to be any real indicators.

The Thorns don't draw well because of the Pilots. They draw well because of the Timbers (and because of Portland in general). Despite Morris20 's comment about the Sol being undermarketed, they still were far and away the strongest-drawing team over WPS' three years; they were in a good market and shared an MLS stadium. The same can essentially be said for the Red Stars, for that matter (they were in the top 3 in attendance for both of their WPS years, and their '09 season was the third strongest among all WPS teams over all seasons). I think both the Sol and the Red Stars would have killed at the turnstiles if more marketing had been done in conjunction with their hosting MLS teams (or more marketing period).

Though, as Morris pointed out, ultimately attendance doesn't matter nearly as much as ownership. That's where I think FCI most definitely fails, and while I don't know very much about the Houston Aces, it sounds like that organization is much better-run than Shek's outfit. And, of course, TFC and NYRB would blow any WPSL ownership out of the water.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    FC Indiana has their core group of fans already, which is about 1,200 - 1,500 or so.
    That's just in Central Indiana mostly.

What Indianapolis brings is a city that is close to a ton of other big cities and states in the Midwest that don't have a women's pro team.

Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, Columbus, Dayton, Cleveland, Detroit, are all relatively close (within a few hours or less away). And the southern half of Illinois is pretty much just as close to Indianapolis as it is to Chicago (give or take a few miles here and there). There are all kinds of populated cities and states (sans Chicago) that are close to Indianapolis. Milwaukee and the twin cities of course are closer to Chicago. But FC Indiana gets the Indiana market, Ohio, Kentucky, and southern Michigan (Detroit, etc). So if they have a core base now of 1,200 fans, and they can yield another 1,200, plus the occasional spectators, then they can average 2,500 per game. That's more than Chicago, Sky Blue, Seattle, and Boston right now.

Plus, there are the Notre Dame soccer fans. Maybe they squeeze out an additional 75-100 fans per game from them. It all adds up. They may only need to average 2,000 per year to survive and continue on.