American commentary/atmosphere compared to THIS.

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by EffeKt, Jun 4, 2007.

1. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFxdIaLb8Y

this is the CBC. it's like watching another league, y'know?

just thought i'd share with those of you who only saw highlights from the pathetic American coverage.

watch the whole video to get the full effect... it's only 8 minutes.

2. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're impressed. We're impressed.

The only that can really be said is that your owners "Get it"

3. Cashcleaner

Cashcleaner New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Ajax, Ontario
    I doubt that all American coverage is as bad as you let on, but I will totally agree that the CBC coverage of TFC is fantastic.

4. nsamsarmy

nsamsarmy New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree that in general, the CBC coverage blows the coverage here in the States out of the water. I did think that this game in particular though, Max Bretos did a really good job. He seems to have the idea down of calling out the players' names and shutting up about stupid crap that fans don't care about. Which is more than I can say about other US commentators.

Kudos to the Canadian coverage. Here's hoping the US broadcasting of MLS takes a page out of your book.

5. Buckscounty Mark

Dec 6, 2006
    Quakertown, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got the USL live package for Net coverage. And was pleasantly surprised by the anouncer for the Charleston Battery. A british fellow with a good style.

6. Mississauga FC

Mississauga FC New Member

May 30, 2007
    colorado rapids announcers were horrible!!

7. SpassMacher2000

Jun 15, 2006
    its like watching a match from England

8. Wicked Owl

Wicked Owl Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Michigan
    It's good coverage, of course, but the way that the previous posters are talking is like "Good commentary = British Announcer." I think most of our American ones do fine except when they occasionally start engaging in the kind of idle chitchat which comes from years of football and baseball broadcasts.

The atmosphere at TFC games is incredible, of course, but I think the crowds at stadiums for the American MLS teams are becoming more "hardcore" and less soccer-mommish every year. They are definitely improving.

Luckily I live around Detroit and can watch the CBC games every week (although I can't cheer for a team from Toronto).

9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should set a standard in terms of commentary here. Approved.

10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If hockey coverege can be used as a benchmark here, I'd say fat chance. I hope I'm wrong - but I doubt it...

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious: would the fact that the lead commentator is from the UK have anything to do with why a lot of folks are finding the commentary on CBC superior as far as style and quality?

12. Polski

Polski New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if I like the really cut and dry style he's got going but I love the lack of stupid chit chat. I don't care about most of the side stories US commentators get onto. I do like celebration and excitement after a goal though so yea thats one thing this guy seems to lack.

Anyhow, screw Toronto can't wait till Chicago takes em down.

13. TigerTheLion

TigerTheLion New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Stoney Creek, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, it was all going so well until someone had to go and get all testosteroney. Jealousy really is ugly, EH? :)

BTW, how did that takedown go on Saturday? I hardly think a Fire fan should be talking big at this point. Glad to see the passion though.

Not sure who the commentator was between TFC & RSL last week but I couldn't stand him. Every time somone moved the ball upfied it was all '1v4' and '6v5'. Who the hell cares how many guys are on the break? If we cared that much we can count ourselves. CBC is great and more so the TFC fans are great, which probably make it an easier job.

14. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You mean because he uses proper Football terminology?

If only the commentators in the US would stop saying "service" (instead of cross), "decision" (instead of result) and the worst of all "good hussle".

15. F.C.T.O.

F.C.T.O. New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Waterloo-Hamilton
    TFC p'owns

16. RichardClairemont

Jul 8, 2007
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well also bear in mind that was their first ever home match. If you hyped and juiced anything up that much, build a stadium small enough to look huge when full on TV, and hammed up the coverage that much, it would work for anyone...wait...that would require actual planning and understanding by the club management...nevermind.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    seriously wtf.

i get it eplsnobs: english commentator = good; rest of the world = bad.

some of us who grew up watching in different countries are simply bored to death by english commentators.

i have no problem with different terminology. imagine if i walked around calling an elevator a "lift" people would think i was an a-hole. really who cares.

18. RichardClairemont

Jul 8, 2007
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you speak Spanish, then tune into some of the games on the Spanish language channels. The commentators are excellent and can certainly rival the English in their passion.

19. mikey99

mikey99 Member

May 15, 2007
    Last nights TFC/Houston commentators were so lame I watched the lame without ANY audio.

20. bellysk8er2005

bellysk8er2005 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    yes they "get it" i have always want to be apart of a crowd like that but since i live in the us probely never will becuse we dont "get it"

21. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't watch an MLS game if it's not on CBC and TFC is playing at home

22. RichardClairemont

Jul 8, 2007
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the worst example of US Soccer commentary was that reject from ESPN with the stupid mullet during world cup qualifying. It was USA v. Mexico, HUGE passionate, 100'000+ attendence at the Azteca, and all this douchebag was talking about was "This altitude is really killing the USA, they're not used to playing at altitude. They trained in Colorado to get used to playing at altitude." I could have reached through the screen and strangled the bastard.

23. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Think you jumped the gun a little. I actually am not a fan of the EPL, and for one, i cannot stand some of the English commentators - John Motson is just as bad, if not worse than Max Bretos.

All i was saying is, if i am watching a game - it would be nice to have it called by somebody that knew what he was talking about and referring to, and i certainly do not need to have players names enunciated on every occasion.

Simple fact is, the commentary in the US is generally cringeworthy. I have enjoyed the commentary i have heard from Canada and even Australia...they get it!

24. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    who cares, we all know what they mean.

25. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    speaking of english announcers, if i hear one more english announcer call it a "mexican wave" i'm gonna strangle him