Always in Fashion, It's Yanks Abroad (07/08 Edition)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 13, 2007.

1. DemonJuice

DemonJuice Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Aug 21, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hi Dave,

As you know, Eddie Lewis is now at Derby County. On your list he's still at Leeds United.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Just logging in case Ives has some inside information on the kid's plans:

Matt Sleece, Clifton. The only non-pro on this squad, Sleece earns a place courtesy of a solid college career and strong start to his 2007 season. The captain and defensive anchor of a Villanova squad that upset then-No. 1 Duke earlier in the season, Sleece has started ever since joining the Wildcats from Clifton high.

A four year starter at Clifton, Sleece is a solid pro prospect who should land with an MLS team in 2008 if he use his Scottish ancestry to help him secure a deal in Europe.​

Link:
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTcxOTY3OTImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk5

VU page:
    http://villanova.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/sleece_matt00.html

He's a senior.

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have 2 buddies that used to play club soccer with me playing first and second division soccer in iceland. I could get more info if you guys think its worth it to post up. They were both picked up too from 3rd div. soccer school weslayan(sp) or how ever its spelled University.

And i believe a third was picked up too from there school but i am not familiar with him.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Michael and Marco Mason are both with TSG Wattenbach in Germany for the 07/08 season. Also, looks like David Wagner is now coaching youth at TSG Hoffenheim.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ives Galarcep is suggesting that Seton Hall's Eliseo Giusfredi might leave school after this season (his third) to go pro, perhaps overseas. Again, his sourcing is unclear but figured I would log it for reference. The kid is talking about taking care of his family, and if he is good enough to get GA money he is probably good enough to get at least as much overseas. That said, I have never seen him play.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Shouldn't there be a separate Fulham thread in this forum? If so can someone please post it as I can't find it.

8. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kevin Durr doesn't play for Bayern Munich anymore...anybody knows what his current club is?

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Do you have a source for this? The club's site appears to be out-of-date, but I'm told he's still with them.

10. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The English site is out of date, the German is not.

http://www.fcbayern.t-com.de/de/mannschaften/jugend/00412.php

Die Mannschaft 2007/08
    Mike Baier 08.02.1991
    Daniel Daffner 19.01.1991
    Marcel Ebeling 11.05.1991
    Florian Elender 20.01.1991
    Hannes Ganghofer 09.03.1991
    Simon Grunert 26.01.1991
    Christoph Hasselmaier 14.02.1991
    Marco Krammel 29.08.1991
    Quirin Moll 21.01.1991
    Stefan Puitl 01.02.1991
    Manuel Ring 07.02.1991
    Nicola Sansone 10.09.1991
    Roberto Soriano 08.02.1991
    Marcus Stallechner 10.08.1991
    Nikola Trkulja 22.06.1991
    Dan Twardzik 13.04.1991
    Dennis Vatany 07.06.1991
    Marco Vollhardt 24.02.1991

11. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Wow, I just found out about this guy to see if anyone on YA has done anything on him. Apparently no thread. Dave, what's the scoop?

1. I was wrong about Bruce Djite being the only YA in the A League.
    2. From being cut by one of the worst teams in MLS to playing on the A League's marquee team.
    3. (from Wikipedia) The A League's first Jewish player.
    4. Tore knee after only 1 match, out for a really long time.

Any info on this guy?

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's been a couple threads on him, but you got most of what's in them above.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Logging John Queeley, a 1982 who has joined Dan Kennedy at Dep. Iquique in Chile.

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Really? I must be lazy. Looked through and didn't see that.

15. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Jermaine Jones is with Schalke 04 this season.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    GK Stefan Hemmer of VfB St. Leon 1967 in the German Kreisliga is a Yank born in 1988.

His older brother Tobias is a defender with VfB Leimen, also at the Kreisliga level.

17. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dave,
    I had this kid listed under Canucks Abroad as his name came up in an article from the Energie Cottbus site discussing signing players from Alberta. Turns out he is from California.
    Currently seeing action with the Energie Cottbus U18's (step down from the U19's).

Reference to his signing here.

Signed at the same time as two young players from Alberta: Cody Cook from Calgary Callies (also with U18's) and Eddy Sidra (Mahir) from Univ of Alberta in Edmonton (playing in the higher calibre Junioren Bundesliga U19's).

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Great catch, thanks. I'll start up a thread on him shortly.

19. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They have surprisingly good coverage of their youth teams at the FC Energie site.
    U18 game summaries are down below the list of players on this page. Aguero has missed the last couple of matches.

20. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some more for you Dave. Investigating young Cdn Tomasz Machul with 1860 (apparently playing for Poland at U17 level), found two young Yanks with 1860 youth teams that are not listed:

Bobby Wood and Kovi Konowiecki

Article from same club as the kid at Energie Cottbus

Wood is getting playing time for the U17s but can't find the other fellow in game summaries.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks. I actually had these guys last year, but hadn't added back this year. I just finally confirmed it today reading the same article you had. Quite a treasure trove that site was!

22. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave, remember Colin Burns? I think he had a stint in Moldova and we had a nice little thread about it a while back. Well, it seems that he's in Finland now. He was sold to FC Sepsi-78 (in the Finnish 3rd division), but is on loan to KPV in the 2nd division. I'll try to get more info about this.

23. soonergoonerguy

soonergoonerguy New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Belgium
    where is greg dalby who is with sporting charleroi in the belgian jupiler league?

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wasn't a YA when I made the list. He'll be added during the winter break sometime.

As for Burns, I just heard from him this week. Looks like you are up-to-date on where he's been. But I think the Finnish season is over now, so all those guys up there with the likely exception of McKenna are probably considering their next steps.

25. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it was mentioned that Ryan Alexander has signed a 3 1/2 year contract with a second division Rumanian Club . I found it on a rumanian sports web page http://www.gsp.ro/Ligi-inferioare/Poliglotul.html?a=2371/115866

I never followed this guy so i have no other information except what the article has on him.
    Born in Detroit played at a french 3 rd div team Croix de Savoie last year. He speaks french,spanish and arabic. He was used in 3 games so far as a sub but hopes to get more playing time as he gets used to his teammates and new environment.

There is also another american signed by the same club.
    Geremy Uhl 22 is a goalkeeper. Supposedly he will sign a contract untill 2010 .

team web site http://www.fc-bihor.ro/
    team photo http://www.fc-bihor.ro/?act=fcbihor

The team has a 105 year history, winning the Hungarian championship in 1942-1943 when it was part of Hungary. They been in an out of the first division in recent years .