Altidore, Rossi: Villarreal vs. Poli Ejido, 10/29 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Scotty, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Here is the marca.com write w/Jozy reference

2. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a disaster...

3. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/villarreal/es/desarrollo/1179721.html

Young Villarreal fans went to training today, making fun of the team, including the two YAs.

Los futbolistas que han recibido estos insultos son el grueso de los que jugaron en El Ejido como Pascal Cygan, Fabricio Fuentes, Cani, Matías Fernández, Javi Venta, Ángel, Rossi o Altidore, a los que llamaron "vagos" y les pidieron que corrieran más, además de dedicarles varios insultos. A la conclusión del entrenamiento, Cani explicó que "nos han insultado mientras estábamos en el entrenamiento, y lo único que les hemos contestado es que se volvieran a clase, nada más".

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    translations please?

5. Fusion Logix

Fusion Logix New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Miami,Fl
    Basically saying altidore was playing lazy and the fans wanted him to run more.(Y.A related anyways)

I keep saying this about altidore...he runs around the pitch acting like he owns the world, someone needs to tap him on the shoulder and say "your only 18 buddy."

With that in mind....lets see how he does on his next opportunity, if it ever comes at all.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last T&T game, there was a point in the first half where Frankie had the ball at the end line and was just able to get a cross off. The cross went to the goalie and I thought, "well, it is Frankie". I watched the game a second time and when watching the play, I noticed two things:

* Frankie did well to get the cross off at all due to positioning of defender
    His only other option would have been to try and bang off the defender
    for a corner.

* Altidore was standing at corner of 6 yd box on near post behind a
    defender as Frankie took the ball to the end line. He never moved
    an inch before or after the ball was crossed - nor did the defender (why should he?) Any kind of move towards
    the near post could have resulted in a good chance on goal as the
    keeper was positioned in the middle of the goal mouth.

After the play, Frankie gave a disgusted look that I at first thought was him reflecting his disappointment on the the quality of his cross. After watching a seond time, I think the look may have been more one towards Altidore as, "I bust my ass from end line to end line and you can't move a freaking foot? Good luck in Spain as you'll find out that s**t doesn't fly over there, real fast."

7. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I think u some of you are over reacting, the whole team played crap, that's why Villarreal lost 0-5 to Third Div.....................

8. hanoah

hanoah Member

Aug 15, 2008
    St Louis
    I'm not disagreeing, but the troublesome part is the Villareal fans noticing that Jozy played lazy. I have had the same thought watching Jozy play before. For all his athletism and physical skills he just doesn't seem to work very hard on the field.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure does take more than one player to lose like that to a team 2 divisions down. I guess not unexpected for an 18 yr old to follow the lead of his older team mates.

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty easy for forwards to look "lazy" when your midfield and defense are stinking up the joint with no possession of the ball or service to the front.

11. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Very true. See Llorente, Joseba.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That translation isn't accurate - they said the entire team played lazy, not just Jozy.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We on the YA board tend to be very YA-centric when it comes to looking at results when one of our YA's are involved. While I think the fact that JA and Rossi couldn't own this team and score some goals is disturbing, the result cannot be blamed on an attacker. Three-fourths of the game was spent literally collecting the ball from the back of the Villarreal net. Jozy could hardly be faulted for a lame back four and GK. I'm not sure how we can take much negative out of this game for JA, nor should this likely make him a pariah to his coaching staff. If it does, it has to do similar things for their golden boy Rossi (little punk).

14. Fusion Logix

Fusion Logix New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Miami,Fl
    That's why i parenthesized yanks only. However, regardless of what the team does, a player his caliber should take this STARTING opportunity and make the most of it. Maybe then the article would read " Altidore shines as Villarreal show no commitment in loss"

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    You had to through your pathetic 2 bits.
    HATE is not good for your health. Looks like u need help..

Edit:
    Isn't this thread supposed to be about pbp and not one's personal feeling about Rossi?

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Write up of the game in English Version.

17. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Villareal. Since it's very unlikely they'll be a serious threat for the title, and a much improved Valencia may also claim more points, it's going to be a more difficult season for them. That means this was an opportunity to get silverwear, and in case the wheels come unhinged, maybe still have an opportunity to qualify for Europe.

They're still having some injury woes as well to deal with. Losing 5-0 to a club in I believe the third division in Spain, that plays against the reserve teams of Valencia and Barcelona among others (including maybe Villareal's!) is an incredibly embarassing result.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    hmmm...the last comment in that write up was interesting...

"......To make matters worse, Guille Franco, who travelled to Ejido with the squad was forced to pull out before the match with an injury to his left leg....."

Perhaps both Franco and Nihat will be out this weekend? Some sub minutes for Jozy?

19. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Yes it was an embarassing result, but COPA is more a tradition then anything in Spain.

Edit: As I said , Copa Del Rey is not as big Deal in Spain as say FA Cup is.

Also, R. Madrid fielded understrength team too and didn't do so well vs 3rd Divsion team too.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with you that Jozy should have done better, especially by scoring against such a low-ranked team. Apparently he had a few good chances and the fact that he didn't put them away is telling.

I was just pointing out to others that the rest of the team was considered lazy as well. I shouldn't have said that your translation was inaccurate, but that they were interpreting it wrong.

21. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Cup competitions are 'tradition' in just about every other country as well. Germany, Italy, England, France, Portugal, Holland. They all have them, the bigger clubs always use them in the hopes of giving players that don't get more regular run-outs some important experience. But they also want to win them, even though they don't necessarily always take precendence over the league. After-all, the more you win, the more you play. In all likelihood, either Madrid or Barcelona will be lifting the La Liga title at the end of the season, which leaves the likes of Villareal, Sevilla, a rejuvinated Valencia and maybe even At. Madrid fighting for European and Champions League spots. Villareal's been snake-bitten by injuries, particularly up top, so them finishing in the top 3 or 4 is hardly guaranteed. Admittedly they stand a better chance than most to qualify for at least the UEFA cup (which the winner of this cup goes into) but... again nothing's guaranteed, like winning this cup would have provided them.

And it's silverwear! It's a tradition with a reward; of course they want to win. The best teams are greedy and want it all. It's not the same as a La Liga title, but it's a title for the trophy cabinet - and in the case of Villareal, it would certainly stand out since there's not much in there (sorry Villareal fans, but I know a thing or two about empty trophy cabinets). :cool:
    Hence, the cup is a little important. They at least wanted to advance beyond this point, and they certainly didn't expect to fall so heavily to a club a few leagues below them. I know where you're coming from, but I definitely think that this was not a game that Villareal wanted to lose, and i don't think they had the opinion of 'this tournament is not at all important'.

That the team played so poorly, and was obviously so un-inspired is even worse. In the case of Altidore, I think he has to do better to impose himself in the game but to go down 5 goals to nothing, you have to look at all 11 players that suited up (and yet didn't appear to play).

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Alex_1

Yes you make valid points.

However, if Villarreal don't finish in the top 4 of the Liga and miss out on CL spot, then few of the star players will be sold and few new potential players will be brought in just like the 07/08 season.

That's the recent history of the club.

23. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    A lot of weak shots in that video and a lot of plays where I couldn't tell if a Villarreal player was crossing or shooting.