Altidore, Rossi: Villarreal vs. Athletic Bilbao, 11/01 3 PM EST(R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Reignking, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that is all they talk about in Spain right now: the election.

Everytime I met someone and they find out I am American, like the first think they ask me is, "who do you think is going to win?" And when I respond with Obama, they always have this "I knew it" smile on their face.

Good for Jozy. He buried a very nice pass right after entering the game cool hand luke style. Made it look easy, but it took a considerable amount of skill and concentration. Too bad it really didn't count for anything, but should help him continue to see minutes.

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  3. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Anyone know where you can buy an Altidore Villarreal jersey online?

4. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll translate:

Altidore scores the first American goal of La Liga

Jozy Altidore made history in Villareal's goal-fest against Athletic at the San Mamés. The youngster (who turns 19 on the 6th of November) is the first player of American nationality to score in the Primera División. Altidore, born in New Jersey, entered in the 89th minute for Joseba Llorente and in the last seconds of the game, sent a great pass by Cazorla into the net to finish off his team's victory at La Catedral. His teammate Giuseppe Rossi, scorer of the first goal of the night, was also born in New Jersey, but has Italian nationality.

This isn't the first record that Altidore has broken in his professional career, which begin at 16 with Red Bull New York. The American, of Haitian descent, has the honor of being the youngest player to score a goal in MLS, surpassing Freddy Adu, another talented youngster. His transfer to Villarreal was also the most expensive signing for an MLS player to date.

The rest isn't really about Jozy, so I won't bother translating.

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]B-62GfQlOis[/youtube]

I know this is probably posted already but just in case....

6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The best part of Jozy's goal was his run to receive the ball, he stayed onside and had to change his run to make sure he did stay onside. That shows a maturity of game and awareness of 'bigger picture' that bodes well for him. That, of course, and getting his shot on goal, by the keeper. Congratulations Jozy, you have a record that can never be broken - the first american to score in La Liga.

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Jozy!

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's silly. They say Altidore's the first american to score in La Liga, and in the same paragraph mention that it's not true. Rossi's American. If they said first USMNT player, then they'd be right.

By the way, he's not the first american to score IN Spain. Can you name the Americans that have scored in Spain in European competition? OOOOh, a tasty one.

9. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say he's the first person with American nationality, meaning in a footballing sense. Rossi gave his up when he went to play for Italy.

So they are right.

I know Ante Razov did. A hat trick even.

10. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    A great first touch by Jozy with the outside of his foot. Something Beasley or Eddie Johnson can't do with their lead feet. He set himself up for that nice finish.

Also a good run to stay onside.

11. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's offside in T&T ;)

Congrats to Jozy - quality finish.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just what I was going to post. He had a sweet first touch which set up the finish.

And I really like that picture that was posted earlier.

Well done, Jozy.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Sweet goal

14. BKcitystriker

BKcitystriker Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Marco Sena doing the bird...

He looked offside, but can't take a single thing from an excellent first touch and that finish. Even the announcer:

The finish, very good. The finish, very good.

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Jozy loves to shoot for the near post.

16. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    think it's a reference to jozy playing for red bull?

"gives you wings"

he'll be haunted by red bull jokes for the rest of his career... probably not.

17. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York
    He looks off on the first view from above but its also from behind. Watch the replay after the goal from the side. He was on.

Grats Jozy.

18. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    You also have to consider what a soft, well-weighted recievable pass Cazorla sent him. Those kinds of passes are in short supply in the American game and make the difference between being closed down and scoring goals.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that pass was amazingly perfect. That's why Cazorla gets the big bucks.

20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    YEP ...it was perfect pass ...

21. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    I liked the coaches body language, giving him the rub-down before he went on, then a quick chat between him, his sub and the coach, and then the coach gives a quick smile, or says something to his assistant right after the goal at the 1:00 mark of the video. I've heard it said he's brilliant at bringing along youngsters.

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a highly regarded coach, the commentators were saying how awesome he is at using pychology and positivism.... also how he always used the words "we" or "us" when it came to both accomplishments and bumps on the road ... (the latter obviously referring to the 5-0 trouncing for Copa del Rey) ..IOW how he held himself accountalbe as well....whereas like the commentators said; other coaches would have thrown the S bomb at their players for losing 5-0 to a third division side....and placed the blame squarely on them.....

23. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    I don't think that is true but I'm to lazy to look it up.

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not, not even close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Adu