Altidore, Rossi: Villarreal vs. Athletic Bilbao, 11/01 3 PM EST(R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Reignking, Nov 1, 2008.

1. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Very nice finish, way to go kid. Nice to bounce back from that Cup loss with a good win and a quality finish.

Seriously, this has been one of the worst sports days in recent memory for me (see Arsenal and Minnesota Gophers games), it's nice to have one little bright moment.

2. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cold as ice. First of many, I hope!

3. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too, man. I woke up this morning to find that Watford surrendered a one goal lead late and lost 4-3 to Blackpool, and then my Oregon Ducks dropped a 26-16 decision to Cal in Berkeley this afternoon. I went 0-2 today. :( The ending to the Golden Gophers game was ridiculous...I feel bad for ya!

But Altidore's goal has certainly cheered me up a bit.

5. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, when y'all said 10 seconds I thought you were exaggerating, if anything he was on less than that. Pretty sweet.

6. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally found it hilarious when the announcers went into a diatribe about Obama after Altidore scored lol.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think the possibility that Jozy won't get loaned out is increasing. At this stage Rossi, Nihat, Llorente, and Franco are obviously ahead of Jozy on the depth chart. But I can see Jozy surpassing Franco, and with one of Nihat or Rossi seemingly always injured, Villarreal might need to keep Jozy as cover and give him slightly more playing time (but obviously still a backup).

Also, in the justin.tv clip after Jozy scores, the announcers started discussing the big issue -- Obama vs. McCain. :D

8. Attack Attack Attack

May 17, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe he won't get loaned, but I hope he does I'd rather see him starting every week

9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that would be a bad move on VR's part. Jozy needs to play every week now, and start playing 75 - 90 min a game. VR can't offer that and, I think, until Jozy does it, he won't be ready to be the fill-in VR might need.

10. diamonddnice

diamonddnice New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    not really sure. I don't see Manchester United saying, we need to loan our all our young players. Liverpool have a young Brazilian, Lucas. He doesn't remotely get to start but they aren't loaning him out. He get's his occasional game. I think a big team wants the depth and if the kid is at the level where he can slot into the first team they think it's worth it for him to train with the first team and under the best coach rather then train at a lesser team and start.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they keep having 2/5 strikers injured, they're not gonna loan out Jozy, especially if he scores. But if Nihat finally gets healthy...

12. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    18 seconds. Pretty remarkable.

13. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Yep you're right, it isn't normal practice to loan out 18 year olds anyway, you look at the four Villarreal players currently on loan: two of them are 21 and two of them are 22. Most players Altidore's age have just graduated to the reserves.

There's arguments to be made about why a loan to another La Liga club might be beneficial to Altidore, but I can't see any compelling reason why he has to gp put on loan.

14. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Dude, that's exactly like the goal Eddie Johnson scored for Cardiff.....Ohhhhh. Yikes. Nevermind.

15. DUFC206

DUFC206 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get what you are saying. Are you saying that EJ never scores, or are you saying that his shot should have gone in today?

16. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I was simply stating that in a hanfull of minutes in La Liga, Jozy has scored. EJ, on the other hand, in about 20X more minutes in the Championship, has......wait for it...... Zero.Good thing BB waited so long to bring Jozy into the mix.

17. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we dogpile on EJ too much around here, but in this case:

1) He wouldn't have his head in the game enough to make that run so soon after coming in.
    2) If he did, he would mistime it and be called offside.
    3) If he did time it right, he'd miss the shot, most likely badly.

But as far as BB goes, Jozy's in the mix now, and EJ's hopefully done with the nats for now, so I'm gonna let that issue lie in the past now.

18. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    You left out 4) If he missed...it's not the shot he missed, it's the ball

19. The Brando

The Brando Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    It was a really nice first touch though

20. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy has an amazingly deft first touch for such a big guy. And a Yank...

21. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news to see. Sucks I missed it. I didnt think he would get in today. Anyways, really looks like Jozy is showing that the hype is true, hopefully he can get some more time.

22. DUFC206

DUFC206 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay, i agree totally, but also, i think that EJ could be a decent player, and he would have scored today if not for a great save. Altidore is a different class. Don't give BB sh*t, we did everything needed in qualifying AND he brought in young players. Jozy is part of the future cause he brought him in aginst cuba.

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a kick out of the goal as well as the political commentary they are making: "Oh, he's almost 19, that means he's already voted? Will it be McCain or Obama?" "Did he vote by mail then" -i guess they mean absentee ballot-....and other stuff like that,...

BTW even the 3D animation they had before posting the video looked more lively than EJ these last two years.... :p

24. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no more dead horse to beat. It is buried and decomposed, so can we all stop, pretty please.