Altidore, Rossi: Villarreal v Dnepr Transmash, Europa League (R) 8/19 4 PM EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Reignking, Aug 18, 2010.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    so? i tire of the Jozy is young defence, plenty of players his age and younger who can finish better.

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Looks like as.com says Jozy should have done better with his clear chance today...

Will have to see highlights.......of Jo-Si and match to determine why as.com reporter said that..

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it funny how no one ever gives credit to keepers when discussing strikers. By all accounts, Jozy's shot brought out the save of the match. His second scoring opportunity was incorrectly adjudged to be off-sides. I would hardly conclude from that analysis that Jozy needs to work on his finishing.

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marca's writeup -- nothing on Jozy. I'm surprised that there were only 10k in attendance, but apparently it was raining...and it was televised.

Interview with Garrido, but nothing specific.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore just played about twice as much in the Europa League as Eddie Johnson (of course Eric Lichaj has them both beat).

6. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    speaking of not finishing what heappened to Rossi play twice as much as Jozy..No wonder he didn't amke the Italian NT.

7. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 20 year old Buddle and a 20 year old Gomez would have scored.

8. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snBnF3pPxck"]YouTube- villarreal-dnper.mpg[/ame]

10. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i tried to put it on this thread i forgot how

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jozy really should have done better on the chance in the video. He could have easily faked out the keeper or done a fake shot then put it to the keepers right, but hitting it so predictibly with no pump fake really hurt him. He needs more 'calm' in front of goal.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that was a massacre. What a shot by Nilmar.

And yeah, Jozy could have taken a better shot, but it was still barely saved.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Hmmm, poor finish, should have faked far post and gone near as the keeper was obviously expecting the shot that he took. Oh well, just has to read the keeper a little better, either that or hit it with real conviction and beat the keeper's reflexes.

Meh.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL When did he get chances like that at Hull? He probably hasnt gotten chances like this since he was in the MLS.

I think with more playing time, he'll get sharper in front of goal and more confident. Thats all it is. Im not worried... although he could have done better.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Agreed. Service really is everything, but seriously its in matches like that that he needs to finish those since everyone else was finishing.

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    One of them the defender got a yellow for taking him down and the other the keeper apparently made the save of the night, how does this indicate poor finishing again?

Edit: I hadn't seen the highlights before I posted this. Maybe he could have done better but the keeper had a very nice reaction save with his feet. None of the other goals the keeper had any chance on, so it's not really fair to penalize Jozy for not putting that one away imo.

17. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move Villarreal.

I feel good about Jozy staying and I think with the service he will see he will eventually get more comfortable and hopefully start putting his chances away.

18. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a weak effort from Jozy.

The assist from Cani on the 2nd goal was just sick...

19. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely could have done better with that chance. Not sure I would call that the save of the match...unless it was the only ball the keeper stopped all game. Jozy was probably shocked that he made the run into space behind the defense and someone actually passed it to him...didn't happen at Hull and rarely for USMNT.

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read my (very short) post you'll see I said this happens "too often" to him. It's part of the larger pattern that is his career- he's in a rut with his finishing and he needs to take it up a level. Once (if) he does that, I think he's got the best shot of any American that's not a goal-keeper of being considered a world-class player. He's only 20 (Drogba was shyte at this age), so I think he can do it. Can't wait for him to put it all together, but let's not kid ourselves that he's any kind of finished product. To do so would sell him short by a wide margin.

21. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    thats a good point. i think jozy fans might be putting to much pressure on him. im not using the " he's to young" BUT, he played in the united states as a teen. Fans treated him like freddy. but the youngsters overseas, dont have the pressure to score a goal EVERY game they play just because there's so many of them. its just because jozy is 1 of the few strikers from the US that actually has a future in europe

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finishing is just the latest aspect of his play that has dipped off since the summer of 2009. He's basically gone through an evolution over the last 12 months. When he was with the Red Bulls, he was big, fast, raw, strong, confident, and actually a good passer. After the Olympics, he rode that confidence into Villareal. In his little bit of playing time he was running at defenders and being aggressive. Even after he went to Xerez he was still able to step up with the Nats including the first goal against El Salvador, the hat trick, and then "the turn" against Spain. After that, he settled down, and seems to have become a student of the game, no matter how much noise his doubters make.

When he got to Hull City, he wanted to play the same way. The problem was that Hull's attack sucked and to get playing time he had to become a "target" striker. Movement, finishing, and passing went by the wayside and he was basically only playing to keep possession. Despite never being a target forward before, he was able to take up that responsibility as a 20 year old in the Premier League. As he played more with Vennegoor of Hesselink, we saw his passing come back out and he started to make runs off of him like he did when he played with Ching in limited time. Toward the end of the EPL season and through the World Cup, we saw better movement and his willingness to get the ball and run at defenders, though he doesn't seem to be as good on the ball as he used to be.

We're just waiting on his finishing to come back around. During the 2009/2010 season he devoted himself to improving the weaker aspects of his game, but at the expense of the aspects that he was already good at. Movement, aggressiveness, and finishing were his strengths when he burst onto the scene with the Red Bulls and the US. Now he's trying to get those parts of his game back as he's added to it, especially being able to be successful as a target striker now.

Personally I feel that neither the "he's a bad finisher" nor the "he's only 20" arguments hold much merit.

1 person likes this.
  23. withoutthee88

withoutthee88 Red Card

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago/USA
    Altidore is amazing. 20 year old American with a top Spanish side would be amazing.

I pray they keep him.

24. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Well, finally saw the highlights.....and have to say AS.com was more accurate than the Yanks Abroad report on Jozy Chance.

IMO it was a so-so effort and o.k to good reactionary save....
    La Liga has some good G.Ks, so hopefully w/playing time his finishing improves........

25. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Your whole post says that he's a work in progress. He was the only 20 year old starting striker at the World Cup. And Americans develop late. I'm not going to stop saying "he's only" until sometime after the 2014 WC.