Altidore, Rossi: Villarreal v Dnepr Transmash, Europa League (R) 8/19 4 PM EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Reignking, Aug 18, 2010.

1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "he's only 20" argument mainly comes out when talking about his finishing. That's what I was talking about. He was a better finisher at 17 and 18 than he is right now because he has worked on the other parts of his game so much.

2. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    sorry to but in. i've always thought this is an interesting point. in that most countries just don't field strikers of that age for a good reason. They typically aren't ready to score. But the U.S. is utterly lacking in depth there. So they are kinda stuck. I mean personally on form alone i've have started Buddle and/or Dempsey and possibly Gomez cause he actually finishes. But for me it's not that he's young. It's that he's a young guy trying to do an older guys job and so everyone should expect he's going to get judged by the same standard. To take it to an extreme remember Ty Tryon. young kid makes the pga, and yeah he did good for like a 18 year old kid, but the PGA standard is still the PGA Standard. It's 64s and 65s. it was good for him but not good enough to keep playing on the PGA. I think that's where all young players are. They are gonna get measured by the EPL, La Liga standard. If Pedro, don't get it done Barca will fine someone that will, It's gonna happen to Raphael, and Insua, and Kerrison, Anderson, Chicharito, etc. Anyways. just my two cents. My gut says if he gets a chance he can grow a lot this season.

3. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    there are italian articles about rossi agent talking about:

Qualche settimana fa, l'attaccante del Villarreal, Giuseppe Rossi (24), era stato accostato con insistenza alla Fiorentina e al Genoa. Si pensava che la punta di origini italo-americano potesse tornare in Italia. Contattato da TMW, l'agente di mercato Federico Pastorello, ha smentito l'interesse dei due club: "Il Genoa non l'ho mai sentito. Fiorentina? Non ho più avuto alcun contatto".

theres 2 teams i think that are interested. idk what this article says but it has Genoa and Fiorentina in it.;)

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Google Translate says:

A few weeks ago, the Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi (24), had been linked persistently to Fiorentina and Genoa. It was thought that the [striker] of Italian-American origins could return to Italy. Contacted by TMW, the market agent Federico Pastorello has denied the interest of two clubs: "The Genoa [interest I've] never heard. Fiorentina? I have not had any contact."

5. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    thanks for translation. its a good thing because rossi and jozy have some chemistry maybe not on the field but their good freinds. if they get some games together this might be a good striker partnership

6. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    available players for 2nd leg vs Dnepr.

Goalkeepers: Diego López, and Juan Carlos Oliva.
    Defenders: Joan Oriol, Musacchio, Marchena, Catalá, Kiko and Mario.
    Midfielders: Cani, Matilla, Christopher, Borja Valero and Bruno.
    Forwards: Nilmar, Marco Ruben, Altidore and Jefferson Montero.

7. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a 5-0 lead, no Rossi and league game on Sunday I would imagine this a great opportunity for Jozy to get some great minutes. What are the chances he gets the start?

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Chances improve a lot if Villarreal decide to go with 2 strikers this time, although even then there's a good chance it could be Nilmar and Ruben to start up top.

9. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've already heard someone say they assume Borja Valero will start, and then you assume Ruben will start.

I'll go ahead and assume Jozy will start. At least I'll be happy 'til Thursday.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think you misunderstood me. If Villarreal go with a 1 striker formation, I expect Valero (who is a midfielder) to start. If they go with a 2 striker formation, I expect Nilmar to start and I expect Jozy and Ruben to compete for the other starting position.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't believe everything you read.

;)

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Basically, if Villarreal field their strongest available lineup and start with two strikers, I'd expect something like this:

Diego Lopez; Mario, Marcehna, Musacchio, Joan Oriol; Bruno, Valero; Cani, Montero; Nilmar, Ruben/Altidore

If they go with one striker, I'd expect this:

Diego Lopez; Mario, Marcehna, Musacchio, Joan Oriol; Bruno, Matilla, Valero; Cani, Montero; Nilmar

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it guys. ;)

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You seem to be decently informed about VCF so I'll ask you. In the 2nd formation you posted, Borja Valero is playing as an AM/SS in a 4-2-2-1-1 type thing, right? So in the first formation, if Valero is playing in CM, it must be a diamond midfield, right? Does Villarreal ever play like that, or do they use Valero as a 2way CM?

15. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm actually not that informed about them, but I went through their pre-season (and last season) lineups pretty thoroughly a couple weeks ago and looked around the web to see what Villarreal fans expected.

So I can't speak with authority about this, but from what I've read, Valero is a box to box midfielder who can play as a more attacking midfielder when required. He has played in a two man midfield before, but I'm not sure whether it looked like a diamond or not.