PBP: Altidore: Hull City v. Chelsea, 2/2 - 2:45PM EST [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by usry723, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McShane played.

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but nothing I saw in that game today looked to me like a player who is 'down' or has an albatross around his neck

3. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Interestingly (or perhaps not), I think the "score" was a reference to a claim that Hull kicked London's arse in the band department. Great album.

4. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think mostly they get paid to create goals and contribute to winning. Actually, I think every player in the Premiership gets paid to win. Sure scoring is one way to do it, but if Jozy on the field means Hull scores more and gets better results, he'll stay on the field.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well before you give the guy Bad Rep on here, Hull City hasn't been high scoring team in general and have a Goal differential at -26 worst in the EPL.
    Jozy is the youngest player on that team to play consistently(16 games) with 2 assists. He is gaining good experience and getting better with every game.The kid is left alone on his own up there with little service or support.
    He contributes to the attack and lets not forget who he had to play against Today.

2009/10 Leaders: Premier League
    PLAYER Goals
    Stephen Hunt 6
    Jimmy Bullard 3
    Jan Vennegoor 3
    Marcio Geovanni 3
    Kamil Zayatte 2
    Andy Dawson 1

7. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010
    From what I have seen "we" (US soccer fans) do just that, well about half of us. For the most part we hold them to standards they can't possibly ever reach, and many make excuses galore when they can't.

The other half just points out how much they aren't good enough, and how higher standards are fine, but only if the players actaully had those abilities, which ours don't.

It's a wonderfull little dance.

8. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He needs to start scoring eventually in my opinion. Even Guille Franco found a way to net 3 goals in 13 games when he was healthy .

http://www.premierleague.com/page/PlayerProfile/0,,12306~36304~2009,00.html

9. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Jozy didn't score against the best team in the best league in the world. He sucks.

:p

10. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

He does not suck. And the issue is not that he did not score today. The issue concerning his personal future is that he has not scored any goals in the EPL. He is only on loan and his potential suitors are going to be looking at the scoring tally first. I agree this experience helps him for the National team. But for his futures sake he needs to pad the stat sheet. Of Course if he tears it up in SA then it won't matter.

12. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes but someone that many here were saying Jozy was better than and should supplant him when they were both at Villareal because he was past his prime. He is also at a relegation battling team. I agree that experience does help. I like Altidore, the guys is a physical stud and will be very successful. But all I hear is excuses on why he is not scoring and not many blame him.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Somehow, I don't think Jozy is lacking ANY confidence. That is dimwitted stuff that posters on BigSoccer say. Just like posters would come on and say Tim Howard is lacking confindence. Doubt it.

Premiership PLAYERS are paid to get results, however that may be. It would have been nice to walk away with 4 points over the last few days, but that did not happen. If the team puts in that effort today, they will remain up. Trouble is, they will likely be crap again, soon.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  15. Yanks Abroad

Yanks Abroad Member

Aug 30, 2009
  16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He's 19. I don't understand why it's even neccesary to have this discussion.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy is playing well right now.

Last game: had an assist and drew a PK.
    This game: second highest rated player on the pitch as Hull get a point from Chelsea.

18. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Don't agree. If he were constantly spraying shots around it would be different.

We should expect one thing against weaker teams and another against superior teams. If the US played Barbados every game, Brian Ching would outscore Didier Drogba.

Scoring opportunities against superior teams are few and far between. In those cases the focus of the target man is to maintain possession, advance the ball, and once in a blue moon steal a goal on a counter or a set piece.

How many shots did he even have a chance to take? There was the one set piece where he got a piece of the ball facing away from goal but that was a really tough one. Yet he played a key role in nearly all of Hull's scoring chances.

He's gradually developing into the next McBride.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its because most of us recognize this is the second worst side to grace the top flight since 1991, with the other being Derby. They are flat out bad. Its frankly dumbfounding they have as many points as they do right now.

That said, this was the best Hull have looked in a long.....long time today. this isnt normally the team that steps on the field. Even Wolverhampton has a capable midfield that could give him the ball (hoenstly....him and Doyle would make a fantastic partnership IMO).

And Moyes was there today, and i cant think of a Hull player out there today he would be scouting on Hull asside from him. They need a goalscoring forward, and Everton have a wonderful midfield that would provide him the service. Everton have been linked before, i reckon thats where he will end up after this summer.

20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Put it this way, the Kid had just turned 20 Years old. He was a one-man force out their today as far as creating the problems against the best or 2nd best team in the World right now with so-so support giving him the ball. And guess what the best part is- he is still very raw for his type of potential , which means............ A big Country-wide bucket of improving/Learning Gold is still in his sights.................Scary! (American soccer nay-sayers are taking notice)

21. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton were also keeping tabs on Clint and Moyes rates Bradley very highly, any chance he could coach both Everton and the USMNT at the same time? LOL.

22. nick1278

nick1278 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, he's a forward and he needs to score. Until he does, he's going to put that pressure on himself, and the longer it takes him to score, the more he's going to feel the pressure. That's natural and any pro will feel that way. He's played quite a bit and "The goals will come" is not really a great refrain in February. I think he'll get a goal in the next couple of weeks and may net a few more in rapid succession. Earlier in the year, Dempsey's goalless streak was at 14 games and then he put in a handful very quickly. It's all very ironic because Altidore had a golden opportunity to score about 2 minutes into his first game and nudged it a foot wide. His season might have been quite different if he slots that one home.

I'd like to Jozy and Zaki on the pitch together. Zaki looked good in limited time today. He was creating with the ball. I hope Brown doesn't use Zaki instead of Altidore.

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Fixed your post - this is the correct total according to the official Premier League statistics for the season. Alternate sources for PL statistics have not given Jozy his correct due.

24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    He's the new Big kid on the EPL block. He's going to have his metal tested. He's young enough to where the physical play shouldn't bother him. Just wouldn't recommend making a career out of it.

25. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Emile Heskey has made a lucrative career at the club and international level not scoring goals.