Altidore: Besiktas vs. Villarreal 8/8 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I think my point gets a bit lost. Most important for any discussion in my eyes:
    Some people seem to get too excited about finishing that sitter; that was nothing, some thousand players usually score on that. Not very exciting, not very important. The important thing is his good run. Don't celebrate an easy finish, when you should praise a good run.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This I will agree with. Often the hardest part of a goal - getting yourself in the right spot at the right time and your body in the right position - happens well off camera.

But at the same time, the simple act of sidefooting a ball into the goal is messed up suprisingly often, in my eyes.

3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then shouldn't you go back and rewrite your posts from last month criticizing Jozy for his "lack of desire to score" and instead praise him for getting in position to miss sitters? That, after all, is the argument made by folks who felt Altidore had a pretty decent World Cup - an argument you spent a significant amount of time attempting to refute.

Anyway, over the last 12-18 months putting himself in position to score has been the least of his concerns. We saw that against England, against Algeria, against Ghana. His problem - as you correctly pointed out - is that he's rarely completed the deal.

Changing your stance 180 degrees now makes you seem like either a hypocrite or a troll. Disappointing, because I usually enjoy your posts.

4. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Huh? I think I'm just able to call a single action what it was, no matter what my general opinion of that player is.
    Yes, I generally think Altidore hasn't shown much of a striker's instinct, and poor finishing.
    And yes, I think he did exactly what I missed at this goal, and I acknowledge that.
    That's trolling? I thought that's the opposite.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I thought the most interesting aspect of the goal was the cross from the endline.

With the US, under Arena and Bradley, crosses come from a mile away against a prepared defense.

On this cross, the defense had to scramble and left Jozy open.

6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you miss the Yakubu howler??

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    That truly may have been the worst miss i've ever seen in any WC.

8. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that. I was just expressing my frustration with some of the negative posters on this thread...

IMO he scored a strikers goal. He was at the right spot at the right moment and knocked it home...no shame in that...my guess is that this will happen more often with a team like VCF around him than it did at Hull...less standing with his back to goal trying to control 40 yard passes to his head...more attacking facing the goal with quality balls played to the right spots...and him scoring...