Alonzo Clarke trialing at Djurgårdens IF

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Testudo, May 8, 2014.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MARYLAND NATIVE ON TRIALS WITH MANCHESTER UNITED
    01/24/2014

United Sport Group L.L.C. help setup trials for Bethesda Lions Academy player and USG North American Showcase participant Alonzo Clarke with Blackpool Football Club, Manchester United (based on performance with Blackpool Football Club), and Club Brugge.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.usgsoccer.com/1/post/2014/01/maryland-native-on-trials-with-manchester-united.html

Young American confirms he will join up with Manchester United in February for second trial
    By Sam Peoples at 4:30 am 15/01/2014
    Alonzo Clarke has confirmed he will return to Manchester United in February to undergo a second trial at the club.
    The 16-year-old, who currently plays for Bethesda-Olney Academy, already underwent a trial with both Blackpool and United but will come back to Carrington next month in order for our academy staff to make their final judgement on him.
    http://thepeoplesperson.com/2014/01...nchester-united-in-february-for-second-trial/

Alonzo Clarke – Centre Back
    16-year-old American centre back who plays for Bethesda Lions. Clarke was actually spotted by United’s scouts while on trial at Blackpool who have since offered him a place in their academy for next year. Has been over to United on trial already and is due to come back again.
    http://mufclatest.com/the-future-of-manchester-united/

[​IMG]
    Alonzo Clarke 5
    @ClarkeKent97
    #BethesdaLions#Bethesda-Olney Academy Bound

[​IMG]
    Alonzo Clarke 5‏@ClarkeKent97Apr 11
    Moyes Blows. pic.twitter.com/XJqr89u7Gl

DMV Soccer‏@DMVsoccer96May 2
    Alonzo Clarke Of U16 Bethesda Training In England Right Now With Manchester United. Played With The Reserves 2 Days Ago!#MUFC #RepDMV

2. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Anyone know anything about the kid, other than that he's also eligible for Jamaica?

Would be AWESOME to see a Yank at Man U.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update:
    466683965064372224 is not a valid tweet id

466689167880388609 is not a valid tweet id

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Very nice.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    An update (Al) on 'Zo:

But when his passport expired in August and he could no longer work legally in England, Clarke and his family decided it would be best for him to put soccer on hold for the moment and return to school.

“After he gets his high school diploma, he can decide — college versus going pro,” said his mother, Deborah Wallace of New Carrollton, who added that she would prefer for Clarke to earn a college degree because “every mom wants their child to have ‘plan B.’” But she said she would stand behind her son “100 percent” if he has the opportunity to play professionally again.

Clarke, who comes from a family of soccer players — including his father, older brother and uncle — said he has scholarship offers from about four schools in the U.S.
    http://www.gazette.net/article/2014...round-career-soccer-decision&template=gazette

Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    When his passport expired? What am I missing on this?

Surely he would just renew his passport?

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing they mean his visa expired.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I guess the same question remains - Visas can be renewed.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Visas come in all flavors and not all can be renewed. But a general UK visitor visa can go up to 6 months. After that, you have to prove you need to be in the country. There is a point when they don't want you hanging around if you don't have a valid reason to stay.

Doesn't sound like he found a club, so he was going to have to leave eventually.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Yep- I know. Except you cannot work on a general UK visitor visa. Just seemed a shoddy article.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn't be considered working... yet. Trials and training aren't covered.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Hence the point about the shoddy journalism which stated that he was working professionally.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Checking in on Clarke, he's seen limited minutes as a freshman on a winning Akron team. Don't know if that's because of health or coach's decision.

15. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

Seems like he's going to be trialing with my club Djurgårdens IF. The guy who wrote the tweet is a writer on Fotbolldirekt.se and he says that there will be an interview with the player published later today on their site.

16. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can give some additional info now since both the clubs official website and FotbollDirekt have written articles on the guy.

With his parents blessing Clarke has left school for this semester to try to get a professional contract as a footballer. He will be trialing with us for quite a long time, three weeks in total, which I guess will include the upcoming training camp in Turkey. He's described as a versatile defender who can play both in central defence and as fullback, and even as defensive midfielder if necessary (we don't need that though). He also apparently knows former short time Djurgården player Gale Agbossoumonde who has told him positive things about the club.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to the kid. Probably time for a thread title change, as current one will generate unnecessary hype.

Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    that looks like Alfred koroma in the background.......

19. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    #20 iamalfred, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Swedish TV are going a bit over the top this year and are broadcasting 40+ preseason games so I had the chance to watch my Djurgården play away against Örebro today in a game where two american defenders got some playing time.

Brendan Hines-Ike started for ÖSK and played 60 minutes together with a recently promoted youth player but you couldn't tell really since they kept the defence together well although to be fair our attack was a bit blunt. Still though, a very positive first impression to me. Alonzo Clarke on the other side came on around the 65th minute and looked a bit lost in his positioning, something in which he wasn't alone in on our team. Overall I would say that he did look a little in over his head but it's probably not fair to judge so soon since he only recently arrived.

20. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done. @iamalfred Does the title accurately reflect Clarke's situation?

21. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    It does. I'm guessing this thread should probably go in the Academy forum though while the Brendan Hines-Ike one should be moved from there to this forum.

Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  22. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

23. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    In the preview article for our next preseason game the club writes that Clarke has been injured and won't be taking part. It doesn't really specify anything about the injury though, so no idea if this means that the trial is over or not. He was originally supposed to stay around for another week with the squad traveling to a camp in Turkey.

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The club announced today that Clarke won't be offered a contract or travel with the squad to Turkey. Instead he will spend next week trialing with second tier Superettan club Assyriska who had seen him in training with us and apparently wanted to take a closer look themselves.