All-time XIs by country

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Hidegkuti78, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tLB Odiseo

tLB Odiseo Member

Necaxa, Galatasaray, Real Madrid
    Dec 18, 2011
    México
    Club:
    NEC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So ... you finished?

2. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    Czechoslovakia xi
    Classic formation
    Feedback is welcome
    [​IMG]

peterhrt repped this.
  3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Kada should fight for a spot with Masopust
    Nejedly as Inside Left, I see him playing by left side.

Maybe, Ladislav Novak (LB) and Masny (RW) could be options or some prewar player.

4. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    An interesting team.

Presumably it covers 1919-1992, after which the country split. One could argue that 1939-44 should not count either as the country was again divided. Bican scored a lot of league goals during that period after leaving Austria.

Planicka/Viktor is a close call as both were top-class keepers. Viktor was five times Czechoslovak player of the year, a record, and also Eastern European footballer of the year in 1976 with 72% of the vote. Four of the top six were from Czechoslovakia that year after the team won the European Championships.

But in general the country was not all that well represented in the Eastern European awards. Masopust and Viktor are exceptions, while Popluhar and Panenka won in 1965 and 1980 respectively. Nehoda finished second and third in the late 1970s.

In Czech and Slovak all-time polls, Bican and Masopust lead for the Czechs, and Popluhar for the Slovaks.

I would be tempted to select Pesek with Popluhar and Masopust, as you have done, then pick Dobias and Novak as full-backs. Both rate highly among their countrymen. Nejedly and Puc have to play. Kvasnak and Panenka are alternative playmaking candidates. If a right-winger is wanted then Nehoda might be considered. If another central defender, then Ondrus looks favourite.

Provided Bican counts as Czechoslovakian, rather than Austrian or Bohemian, then he is an automatic choice. Were his goals in wartime Bohemia-Moravia to be excluded then the leading all-time Czechoslovak league scorer is Kopechy, though he was another left-sided wide player like Puc.

The team will not be short of goals.

annoyedbyneedoflogin and msioux75 repped this.
  5. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    1+1=3 for Novak
    Who goes out?

6. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Pesek is clearly out of position, he was a midfielder, in central zone.

7. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Either Ondrus, with Pesek playing as a more modern, deeper centre-half. Or one of the attacking players.

I would probably keep Ondrus, and place Pesek alongside Masopust in midfield. That leaves four more forward players: Bican, Nejedly, Puc and one other.

Perhaps Panenka as AM or Nehoda on the right-wing. Or both if Bican counts as Austrian.

Another option is Pilat, but he was probably past his best by the time Czechoslovakia came into being.

I don't know much about Kostalek.

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  8. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Ive decided to do a series of Dutch XIs
    The first is one consisting of working units:
    -Gullit + v Basten + Rijkaard (Milan+NT)
    -Cruijff + Piet Keizer (Ajax)
    -vd Sar + Frank de Boer + Rijkaard + Danny Blind + Reiziger + Davids (Ajax)
    -Davids + Paul Bosvelt (NT)

[​IMG]

Alternatively, Feyenoord's backline of 69/70 could fit but it would not have overlap with the Milan three.
    Another alternative would be to replace Bosvelt with Johan Neeskens, however Davids and Bosvelt have never lost a match when paired in midfield.

9. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Dutch WC allstar XI:
    [​IMG]

10. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Dutch Winners XI
    This XI features players with the most international finals, preferably wins. [​IMG]

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe just Clarence Seedorf missing ??

12. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    When was Clarence Seedorf supposed to be a World Cup allstar?

13. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Classic Dutch XI
    This XI features players from before the time of the couch potato.
    [​IMG]
    Please note that many of the players were inside-lefts and are somewhat played out of position.

msioux75 repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He was as good as Davids I'd suggest ...

15. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Perhaps yes, although Seedorf had different qualities. Still, he only featured in WC98 and did not get selected in the team of the tournament.

16. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Czechoslovakia - Viktor - Dobiáš, Ondruš, Pluskal, Novák - Panenka, Kvašňák, Masopust - Nejedlý, Bican, Puč.

peterhrt repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I just read the thread to be the all time best eleven for each country ...

Seedorf would be in mine ....

18. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    #193 annoyedbyneedoflogin, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Dutch "Youngstar" XI
    This XI features players that peaked at a young age. @PuckVanHeel provided insights.

[​IMG]

-Peter vd Merwe was going strong with the NT when a hand injury set him back at age 20.

-Mauk Weber is the second youngest NT player ever. At age 25 he simply decided to quit football.

-Royston Drenthe was elected "Golden Player" of the UEFA u21 championship. However he lacked the discipline to further develop.

-Kevin Hofland was going strong with the NT when an ankle injury set him back at age 23.

-Ton Pronk, as a teenager, was undeniable at Ajax and the NT but then slowly faded.

-Hedwiges Maduro was going strong with the NT but a move abroad had him slip.

-Jan van Breda Kolff is the youngest NT player and goalscorer ever. After finishing highschool, his studies became more important than football. His son and grandson became sportstars in American basketball.

-Rafael vd Vaart was dubbed as the new Johan Cruijff. Age 17-18 he was fast, defended prolifically, and was very enthusiastic in attack. However, he went from GOAT to pig. Thanks to his talent he still had a decent career.

-Patrick Kluivert, perhaps, touched upon his peak after his AC Milan misadventure. But at age 26 it was clearly over.

-Willy Dullens was in full "GOATmode" when a knee injury ended his career at age 21. According to Cruijff, Dullens' technique was superior to his.

-Rob de Wit was doing magical things with Ajax and the NT when a brain lesion ended his career at age 22.

19. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    An Argentina XI,
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking that with Carrizo, Sensini, Sastre and Pedernera, 4 subs should be enough.

20. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    After reading the 1941 Kicker, I dug deeper into German football history and @Gregoriak files. Ofcourse this had to result into an XI.

One of the obvious lacks in the German player base are the wingers, especially on the left. Heynckes, who rightfully tops the list, did not play well with the undeniable Gerd Müller. Schäfer I see as Podolski the 1st and Allofs as Rensenbrink, both minor cracks, aswell as Littbarski.

This is where the Zona Mista /Andreas Brehme brings resolve.
    Brehme, unlike Lahm, can keep the pitch wide on the left, like he successfully did in Italia 90. Hans Briegel, who was faster than Brehme, was less successful at tracking back when needed and is therefore an inferior choice.

[​IMG]

The rest of the defenders are the top picks from https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/greatest-players-in-german-football-history.2079022/
    It may be added that Vogts and Beckenbauer had a great understanding in defense.

The attackers are Germany's most productive big game players. With the idea of facing other alltime selections, this seems appropriate.

Debatable I find the choice of goalkeeper. Maier was more impressive at the World Cup than Neurer but that might be circumstantial.
    Also, comparing Richard Hofmann with Fritz Walter is speculative.

peterhrt and Gregoriak repped this.
  21. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/german-position-top-10-footballers.2033447/#post-34300222

Combining the selections in this thread with the one linked above, and adding those of @Dearman and @comme (from his Top 100s by position), 14 posters have selected their all-time German team. The others are:
    @Gregoriak , @Raute , @el cabezon , @wm442433 , @poetgooner , @Milan05 , @PDG1978 , @annoyedbyneedoflogin , @Hidegkuti78 , @LegendarySunrise , @tLB Odiseo , and @peterhrt .

Votes as follows. Players chosen for more than one position have their votes combined. Composite all-time XI in bold.

GK: Maier 7 votes, Kahn 4, Neuer 3
    RB: Vogts 6, Kaltz 2
    LB: Lahm 6, Brehme 5, Schnellinger 3, Briegel 1
    Sweeper: Beckenbauer 14, Sammer 2
    CB: Kohler 10, Forster 5, Boateng 1
    DM: Matthaus 14
    CM: Breitner 9, Effenberg 1, Kroos 1, Schweinsteiger 1
    AM: Netzer 8, Haller 1, T Muller 1, Schuster 1, Szepan 1
    LM: Overath 6
    OR: Littbarski 3, Rahn 3
    OL: Heynckes 1
    FW: Rummenigge 13, F Walter 4, Seeler 2, Hofmann 1
    Striker: G Muller 14

33 different players listed. Total votes 154.

Do any other posters have a team?

22. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Germany XI:

---------------------- Maier
    Vogts --- Köhler --- Beckenbauer --- Lahm
    ------- Matthäus ----- Schweinsteiger
    ---- F.Walter --------------------- Overath
    ------ Rummenigge --- G.Müller

Lockeroom, Gregoriak and peterhrt repped this.
  23. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Overath was never a wide player, nor a potencial good one.

24. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Personally I think there is no goalkeeper ability in which Sepp Maier is better than Manuel Neuer. To me Neuer is better in every category. In Germany Maier has been the "default" choice for no. 1 all-time German goalkeeper for the last 45 years much like Yashin is still the default all-time no. 1 goalkeeper globally.

Lockeroom repped this.
  25. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    I feel similar about Schmeichel compared to Yashin.
    With Neurer I cant help drawing paralels with the unknown Dutch gk Ronald Waterreus. Both were absolutely spectacular early career. But when they moved to a champion side they went from spectacular to solid.